MNSSHP attire - costumes or no?

plaz10

My fiance and I are heading to the world in 58 days! And I can't wait. We are definitely going to MNSSHP while we are down there. But the question is...what to wear?

We have 3 options.

1 - Costumes. We'd go all out and dress up.

2 - Halloween Gear. Wearing orange/black, buying MNSSHP shirts and wearing them or buying some Halloween themed outfits and wearing them to the party.

3 - Villain Gear. I have an Ursula Tshirt and I'd buy the fiance something villain to wear as well (if I can find some manly villain gear). Ursula is my favorite Disney character so I do want to show my love.

HELP! Which would be the better choice?

sweetpee_1993

Think of what you can do comfortably & cheap. Do a super tacky tourist. Total nerd. Do your favorite characters translated into modern/people form. There's so much you can do just think of how to translate it to comfortable clothes without spending a fortune.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I've done both. The full costume is much more fun when you're with a big group (and you can coordinate thr outifts). When it was just me and one other person, we bought MNSSHP shirts and wore our Halloween Mickey ears. It was also unseasonably hot the night we did that, and I was much more comfortable in a t-shirt, shorts, and Mickey ears then I would have been if I had worn a full costume.

Upvote 0

chdice

We are going for the first time this year and we are dressing up. My daughter is going to be Ariel (with a "mermaid" appointment at Pirates League that afternoon), my twin sons are going to be Jake and Peter Pan (I'm swapping out the pants for shorts) and I found an Ursula costume. Working on one for my husband (who isn't a big fan of dressing up) but he'll probably be some type of pirate to go along with the boys. Maybe I can get him to dress up as Cubby ;)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Think of what you can do comfortably & cheap. Do a super tacky tourist. Total nerd. Do your favorite characters translated into modern/people form. There's so much you can do just think of how to translate it to comfortable clothes without spending a fortune.

Exactly. My DW and I were Woody and Jessie one year, I wore a yellow t-shirt, made a vest out of cow print fabric, wore blue shorts that day, had the hat, empty gun holster, badge, pull ring etc. She wore a denim skirt, made an apron out of cow print fabric, white peasant blouse, Jessie hat and pigtails. Easy enough to tell who we were without bringing tons of extra stuff with us or wearing anything that was hot. AND Woody and Jessie decided to take an unscheduled break and have us do their Meet & Greets. Seriously, they tried to climb back over the fence to go backstage... Best character interaction we have ever gotten. Poor kids behind us in line, Woody and Jessie wanted to take like 30 pictures with us.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Exactly. My DW and I were Woody and Jessie one year, I wore a yellow t-shirt, made a vest out of cow print fabric, wore blue shorts that day, had the hat, empty gun holster, badge, pull ring etc. She wore a denim skirt, made an apron out of cow print fabric, white peasant blouse, Jessie hat and pigtails. Easy enough to tell who we were without bringing tons of extra stuff with us or wearing anything that was hot. AND Woody and Jessie decided to take an unscheduled break and have us do their Meet & Greets. Seriously, they tried to climb back over the fence to go backstage... Best character interaction we have ever gotten. Poor kids behind us in line, Woody and Jessie wanted to take like 30 pictures with us.

This is fantastic! Seriously! Think in terms of representing your favorite characters (or anything) via translation. I can sew and make most things but fabric isn't cheap and it's time consuming. I didn't see us dressing up in full-on costumes because of the heat. Who wants to be uncomfortable?! Not me! Then there's the cost. I looked at how much it'd cost to do full costumes and thought that was nuts. It's something we'd wear once. Uh, no way. I'd rather do something inexpensive and have the extra $$ for a nice meal or deposit for the next adventure. :D

Resale shops, Goodwill, yard sales, etc. are your friend, too!!!

Upvote 0

plaz10

Original Poster
I think we are going to try to do a makeshift affordable/comfortable costume. If all else fails we have mickey ears with Disney shirts. Or the steeler fan isn't a bad idea either - tshirts w/black under our eyes? Its possible. 55 days to decide! I'll let you know what we decide.

Upvote 0

dnscbus

We are going for the first time this year and we are dressing up. My daughter is going to be Ariel (with a "mermaid" appointment at Pirates League that afternoon), my twin sons are going to be Jake and Peter Pan (I'm swapping out the pants for shorts) and I found an Ursula costume. Working on one for my husband (who isn't a big fan of dressing up) but he'll probably be some type of pirate to go along with the boys. Maybe I can get him to dress up as Cubby ;)

Can you tell me about the "mermaid" appointment at Pirates League? Especially what the makeup was like. I saw that the pirates league changed prices and what they are offering, and the girls have done the "Empress"; so something new would be cool to do. Especially since we lost all of our pictures from our first visit to the Pirates League and would like to go back.

Upvote 0

elto64

Tee shirts from Vistaprint thats our costume. tried to come up with a lightweight costume, not too cumbersome but creative. No luck! So its tees i designed for what i would believe to be a fraction of the cost in park

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Also try to check out some of the Disney fashion tumblogs kicking around. A poster on here has what she calls "DISpiration" and can be seen here -> http://dreamsofadisneyprincess.tumblr.com/ Basically a bunch of people online find and build outfits that are inspired by various Disney movies, attractions and characters. Made from mostly normal reusable clothing, so its convenient, yet can be very original as well. I've seen them on several other tumblrs, but am drawing a blank on their source right now. (Mostly because a large majority of them are for women which doesn't help me at all)

Upvote 0

chdice

Can you tell me about the "mermaid" appointment at Pirates League? Especially what the makeup was like. I saw that the pirates league changed prices and what they are offering, and the girls have done the "Empress"; so something new would be cool to do. Especially since we lost all of our pictures from our first visit to the Pirates League and would like to go back.

This is our first time doing Pirates League. My daughter is obsessed with Ariel so I figured that would be her costume. This is what I found regarding the mermaid package - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...gic-kingdom-park-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

Upvote 0

Alison1975

This year, DH and I are not dressing up but will be in Halloween colors. We did the dress up thing before and I'll be honest - although fun, the costume became a burden by the end of the night. It was humid and I was hot and it was too much getting into the rides. So we are just doing orange and black. Or I do have a stripped skirt, red and white and it is kind of piratey so I might do that. We shall see.

Thats ultimately why we have decided no costumes. In fact my 10 year doesnt even want to wear one because he remembers all too well how hot it is down there. I was actually thinking we could all get striped shirts and I can do numbers on the left side and we can all be convicts..easy enough and no real "costume" needed..humm

Upvote 0

wiigirl

Jess, you know you want to do costumes!!!!!!!!!!! do it! :p

lol...do it ;)
75.gif

Upvote 0

berlioz70

I vote Costumes - DH and I like to dress up as less common villains, half the fun from the party is seeing how many Guests even know who we are. Cast Members tend to LOVE us because we wear such uncommon costumes:

2010 - Shego and Drakken
Hall%20Castle%20fight.png

2011 - Yzma and Kronk
castle1-11.jpg

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Thats ultimately why we have decided no costumes. In fact my 10 year doesnt even want to wear one because he remembers all too well how hot it is down there. I was actually thinking we could all get striped shirts and I can do numbers on the left side and we can all be convicts..easy enough and no real "costume" needed..humm

We have decided to "sort of" dress up. So I am wearing a short black maxi dress with ruffles on the bodice and black capri leggings with red ballet flats. I'm getting the new puffy fluffy Minnie ears (I have the sparkly ones) and I'm going as Minnie. DH is going to have on red shorts, a white shirt and either get Mickey ears and wear the Mickey hands (we have those already) and go as Mickey or we are going to add a Minnie apron to mine and change to a chef hat for DH and go as chef minnie and mickey. Either way, comfy, not hot, and easy. If I had more time to perfect, we would go as Remy and a Chef - next time! :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom