MLB 2013

Taylor

Don't underestimate the power of the Orange side...considering how they looked at the end of the year, I doubt it.
I don't know I'm just not sold on the Orioles this year. There a well coached team they have some talent and they have great fundamentals (for an AL team) but if they play in as many close games as they did last year I just don't see some of those close ones that went there way last year going there way this year. Playoff caliber team though but every team in that division is

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
I don't know I'm just not sold on the Orioles this year. There a well coached team they have some talent and they have great fundamentals (for an AL team) but if they play in as many close games as they did last year I just don't see some of those close ones that went there way last year going there way this year. Playoff caliber team though but every team in that division is
We're known for surprises...you see the ability to win those close games is what makes us great. Plus this year we'll have our young star, Manny Machado, for the entire year. We got better after getting him. Markakis is also back. Plus Buck Showalter has a history of leading teams to the playoffs. We play in a tough division, but we're going to go far again this year.

Darth Tater

Just a few thoughts on last night's Opening Game of the season:

I loved the energy in Houston. Yes, a lot of this was due to it being Opening Night for baseball, but a lot was due to the regional rivalry between the Astros & Rangers. Having a statewide rivalry now in the same division is going to be a treat for those fans, considering the high number of times they get to play each other in their respective cities. This got me to thinking: Could this be a sign that some year in the future, all the divisions will be realigned so that more statewide rivalries race for the same pennant? Imagine the NY Yankees & the NY Mets both in the same division. Or the Chicago Cubs & Chicago White Sox in the same division. Tampa Bay Rays & Miami Marlins...SF Giants & Oakland A's...LA Dodgers & LA Angels...all getting to play each other 15++ times every season...all while fighting each other for 1st place. Yes, we have interleague play now, and many of those rivalries meet up in those scenarios. But that is 3-6 meetings at best, and they don't compete for the same divisional title.
From what I saw observing last night's Rangers/Astros matchup...the fans would love it if more statewide rivalries did this. What are your thoughts?

And congrats to the Astros for getting the 2013 season underway with the bats swinging hard last night. They may have one of the lowest payrolls in the game, and they may have been going up against a team which has made 2 World Series's in the past 3 seasons...but nobody told them that. ;) 8-2 blowout.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Just a few thoughts on last night's Opening Game of the season:

I loved the energy in Houston. Yes, a lot of this was due to it being Opening Night for baseball, but a lot was due to the regional rivalry between the Astros & Rangers. Having a statewide rivalry now in the same division is going to be a treat for those fans, considering the high number of times they get to play each other in their respective cities. This got me to thinking: Could this be a sign that some year in the future, all the divisions will be realigned so that more statewide rivalries race for the same pennant? Imagine the NY Yankees & the NY Mets both in the same division. Or the Chicago Cubs & Chicago White Sox in the same division. Tampa Bay Rays & Miami Marlins...SF Giants & Oakland A's...LA Dodgers & LA Angels...all getting to play each other 15++ times every season...all while fighting each other for 1st place. Yes, we have interleague play now, and many of those rivalries meet up in those scenarios. But that is 3-6 meetings at best, and they don't compete for the same divisional title.
From what I saw observing last night's Rangers/Astros matchup...the fans would love it if more statewide rivalries did this. What are your thoughts?

And congrats to the Astros for getting the 2013 season underway with the bats swinging hard last night. They may have one of the lowest payrolls in the game, and they may have been going up against a team which has made 2 World Series's in the past 3 seasons...but nobody told them that. ;) 8-2 blowout.
The Rangers seem to be going downhill IMO. They fell apart at the end of last season, and like I already said, that's what the Red Sox did in 2011 before falling apart in 2012.

You forgot Baltimore Orioles vs. Washington Nationals. Not in the same state, but close enough. Washington tacked their name onto our airport. :mad: Which most of us don't like BTW. But I don't think that would happen, at least between the Nats and O's since the Orioles own the broadcasting rights for the Nats and therefore want both teams to do well. But we do have a Beltway Battle game every year.

I think it would be best to keep the teams in separate divisions. I think to many people cheer for both teams. I'm an Orioles fan first, but the Nats are my other team. I think this is the case in many areas. The only reason it works in Texas is because Texas is huge. Or it might just be an experiment.

Plus there are teams that would never want to switch leagues due to the pitcher vs. DH. I'm a believer in the DH from being an Orioles fan my entire life, as are many other Orioles fans. I prefer if my main team keeps this rule.

You've got to be kidding me: 49 with a 70 percent chance of rain on Friday for opening day? :mad: Come on spring!
I hear ya sista! LOL Our home opener is Friday also, and it's going to be cold (always seems to be, though).
My Dad has gone to the last 36 home openers and he is getting over pneumonia and he is still going! Oh well, hope both of our teams do great. Of course I hope the Tigers do a little better. :p lol jk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom