MK updates 11/22 - New addition to Carousel of Progress, food locations open, etc.

EPCOT Explorer

From what I read, the current COP is the same family throughout the years (Where's that Fountain of Youth they're hiding?) :lookaroun

From 1973-1994 was when there were four different families, dogs, settings - all sponsored by GE. :D

Ahhhh....So it's changed. :) Interesting.

All those families look alike...:lookaroun

Expo_Seeker40

It's the same family, but you are meeting them for the very first time in each scene. They represent the idealized American family of the respective era they are depicted in. They only age about 3-5 years in each scene, for variation.

Even in the 1964 world's fair version.....John was in his 30s in 1890 and by Act 4, the children were old enough to drive and pick up grandma and grandpa (who are still alive) at the city's new jet airport. Mother had hardly any wrinkles and may be experimenting with hair dye. o_O

The family's last name is Peabody, and they live in Middleburg USA, though a rep from GE in 1963 asked if they could be from Schenectady, NY...the original headquarters of GE.

EPCOTPluto

Even in the 1964 world's fair version.....John was in his 30s in 1890 and by Act 4, the children were old enough to drive and pick up grandma and grandpa (who are still alive) at the city's new jet airport. Mother had hardly any wrinkles and may be experimenting with hair dye. o_O

The family's last name is Peabody, and they live in Middleburg USA, though a rep from GE in 1963 asked if they could be from Schenectady, NY...the original headquarters of GE.
Never knew that at all. I just made up theirs - Walters. :lookaroun:eek:

ewensell3

Carousel of Progress
There's been an update to the last scene of Carousel of Progress!! They actually have a flat panel, widescreen LCD tv now!!
Cell phone pic: http://twitpic.com/qj9bv

(In case anyone's curious it says "Samsung" on the tv though you can't read that here.)

HOLY COW! AN UPDATE!! The space pilot game's graphics looked really good actually on the tv. I was so shocked, I just pretty much stared the entire time at the new tv.

Could that be Samsung's new LED TV?? If it was nearly paper-thin, it probably was.

It's probably the same Space Pilot game, except now it's actually able to be displayed in it's native resolution instead of down-converted for standard analog TV.

ewensell3

Money is money. They don't spend it on screens, they can do something else that is equally needed for something way more important.

If Disney actually paid for that screen in CoP, I'd say the marketing department is seriously asleep at the wheel.

The final scene of CoP is some decent marketing space. Disney shouldn't have to pay anything for any of the gadgets in that scene.

...and I think mom should be standing with a netbook...

MissM

Original Poster
Could that be Samsung's new LED TV?? If it was nearly paper-thin, it probably was.

It's probably the same Space Pilot game, except now it's actually able to be displayed in it's native resolution instead of down-converted for standard analog TV.
I don't know if it's ultra thin or not. Looked like a relatively normal LCD to me but I was off to the side. (It was busy and I didn't get my preferred, front-row center seating choice.)

And yes, it's definitely the same game. I just stated that it looked so much nicer on the flat screen.

pucks98

Wow. What a difference a few days makes. We were at MK this past Friday and the wait times were 5-10 minutes. Most rides we could walk right on. The longest wait was 20 minutes for Space Mountain.

EPCOT Explorer

Now when I think about it, that TTA narration saying there are 4 different families could just be for nostalgic reasons. :shrug:
The TTA is WRONG.:fork::lookaroun

It's the same family, but you are meeting them for the very first time in each scene. They represent the idealized American family of the respective era they are depicted in. They only age about 3-5 years in each scene, for variation.

Ahh, thanks, Jon. :D

Love the backstory...:eek: I miss CoP.

If Disney actually paid for that screen in CoP, I'd say the marketing department is seriously asleep at the wheel.

The final scene of CoP is some decent marketing space. Disney shouldn't have to pay anything for any of the gadgets in that scene.

...and I think mom should be standing with a netbook...

Sponsorship would work wonders on so many FW and TL attractions.

Anyone want GE to come back? Oh wait...that's right...They own Uni.:brick:

Brian_WDW74

Anyone want GE to come back? Oh wait...that's right...They own Uni.:brick:

GE wouldn't be a good sponsor at the moment. It has a serious debt issue and is trying to sell some of its assets to raise cash. It's currently in talks to sell a controlling interest of Universal to Comcast. And there are rumors that it might try to sell off its appliance, lighting, industrial controls and water chemicals businesses.

WDW1974

It's Thanksgiving week, anyone not expect WDW to be busy?

(Maybe we'll get some phased closing threads if we all wish upon a star!)

As to a new TV in CoP, if that's the only change one might assume the old one simply died and they needed to upgrade.

Expo_Seeker40

The CoP was and always can be a great sponsor showcase...like a mini Spaceship Earth but instead "remember how easy it was to use a dishwasher, thank *so and so* they invented it". :lookaroun

John could be Alan Rickman and Grandma, Judi Dench.

*Hello, John Peabody, this is John Peabody, reminding you to stop talking so loudly infront of the oven....har har har". :lookaroun

If they could find a sponsor, and make a postshow on the loft, it may be attractive to a new corporate sponsor.

Honestly for me......if they can do a new tomorrowland 1994 2.0 since the starport 75 works quite well.....I'd say decorate the CoP building as a UFO...which the Disneyland building sort of does.....and the UFO is a craft owned by the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society and (like so many Disney attractions for some reason) they are having an open house for all citizens and visitors to take a glimpse at human life on some planet called Earth.

There would be an enclosed Pre Show with an alien or robot explaining how the MRHS aquired the CoP, it's history, and who Walt Disney is. And then act's 1-4 are close but not exact to the 1964 walt disney version, and the unload theater stage is used as a bonus feature where the MRHS shows the family in a possible future and that scene can always be updated as bonus feature without ever effecting the nostalgia of the 1964 walt disney version.

RSoxNo1

Thanksgiving is always busy, but I don't know that I've seen a phased closing over Thanksgiving - if there was, I was already in the park and didn't notice.

I've probably been to the parks 7 of the last 10 Thanksgivings.

EPCOT Explorer

The CoP was and always can be a great sponsor showcase...like a mini Spaceship Earth but instead "remember how easy it was to use a dishwasher, thank *so and so* they invented it". :lookaroun

John could be Alan Rickman and Grandma, Judi Dench.

*Hello, John Peabody, this is John Peabody, reminding you to stop talking so loudly infront of the oven....har har har". :lookaroun

If they could find a sponsor, and make a postshow on the loft, it may be attractive to a new corporate sponsor.

Honestly for me......if they can do a new tomorrowland 1994 2.0 since the starport 75 works quite well.....I'd say decorate the CoP building as a UFO...which the Disneyland building sort of does.....and the UFO is a craft owned by the Tomorrowland Metro Retro Historical Society and (like so many Disney attractions for some reason) they are having an open house for all citizens and visitors to take a glimpse at human life on some planet called Earth.

There would be an enclosed Pre Show with an alien or robot explaining how the MRHS aquired the CoP, it's history, and who Walt Disney is. And then act's 1-4 are close but not exact to the 1964 walt disney version, and the unload theater stage is used as a bonus feature where the MRHS shows the family in a possible future and that scene can always be updated as bonus feature without ever effecting the nostalgia of the 1964 walt disney version.

Yes, please. Now. :lol:

And Dench as Sarah!? HAH! That would be ironically wonderful.

PaisleyMF

CoP, could or should get 2 or more sponsors for the finale, Samsung and Microsoft or LG.

But way, to showcase as everybody suggest. Disney at some point was all about Synergy, and why not talk about what they say in the script, you can still showcase Virtual Reality games (Wii, Xbox Project Natal?), house automation (Microsoft, Apple)

Why it has to be a laptop and not a slate (this are touchscreen only laptops that can control house appliances). And even Sylvania (Siemens) with the most simple approach (the light for the Holiday Decor)

As for the new TV, it will probably is an LCD usually a beefed up display to be on over 12 hour a day, with the same image running constantly. Plasma can burn the image when is repeated.

Castle Cake Apologist

This is teeeechnically already the backstory of CoP within the confines of the Tland94 story...

And as for the laptop, I'm a Tland Ops CM and I don't think I've ever seen it on. Granted, I work Stitch complex, so maybe it's just always off when I ride CoP.

EPCOT Explorer

GE wouldn't be a good sponsor at the moment. It has a serious debt issue and is trying to sell some of its assets to raise cash. It's currently in talks to sell a controlling interest of Universal to Comcast. And there are rumors that it might try to sell off its appliance, lighting, industrial controls and water chemicals businesses.
I know, I was just going off the good job they did on CoP and Horizons...:lol:
CoP, could or should get 2 or more sponsors for the finale, Samsung and Microsoft or LG.

But way, to showcase as everybody suggest. Disney at some point was all about Synergy, and why not talk about what they say in the script, you can still showcase Virtual Reality games (Wii, Xbox Project Natal?), house automation (Microsoft, Apple)

Why it has to be a laptop and not a slate (this are touchscreen only laptops that can control house appliances). And even Sylvania (Siemens) with the most simple approach (the light for the Holiday Decor)

As for the new TV, it will probably is an LCD usually a beefed up display to be on over 12 hour a day, with the same image running constantly. Plasma can burn the image when is repeated.
Any tech company would do...:shrug:

I half expected Seimens to go after it when they took SSE and RoE.

fredrickr

Carousel of Progress
There's been an update to the last scene of Carousel of Progress!! They actually have a flat panel, widescreen LCD tv now!!

I just wish that they would get the facts right in CoP, especially the 2nd scene. The family is getting ready for the Independence Day celebration, but Father talks of some guy named Lindbergh, who's going to try to fly across the Atlantic. But Lindbergh already had flown the Atlantic by July 4th. He did it back on May 20-21, 1927. That drives me crazy every time I go on that ride!
:hammer:

Animaniac93-98

I just wish that they would get the facts right in CoP, especially the 2nd scene. The family is getting ready for the Independence Day celebration, but Father talks of some guy named Lindbergh, who's going to try to fly across the Atlantic. But Lindbergh already had flown the Atlantic by July 4th. He did it back on May 20-21, 1927. That drives me crazy every time I go on that ride!
:hammer:

:lol:

They're tourists, what do they know?

Maybe it's July 4th 1926? :lookaroun Except they talk about The Jazz Singer which was released on October 6th 1927.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom