MK to get SIX new FP attractions? UGH?!?!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, it would appear that way according to our old pal Merfie (hey, he knows his stuff and isn't looking to be a social media , so let's be kind!)

It seems that getting ready for FP+ and NEXT GEN, WDW has filed permits to add FP to Mansion, PoC, the Aladdin spinner, Small World and two others likely both of the new Fantasyland attractions (presumably Mermaid and Mine Coaster).

Again, this just adds to the widespread belief that NEXT GEN will be about taking every second of your vacation and making you plan ahead as well as tiering your trip to the amount you spend and whether you stay at a Disney O&O resort and how much information you are willing to give Disney.
I see absolutely NOTHING positive about this development as NONE of the attractions adding FP need it. None.

I wonder when this is all said and done and Disney has spent over a billion dollars if the new leader of the company and the new leader of Parks and Resorts aren't going to toss out so much of this absurd excess.

Discuss.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a note because for some reason I can't edit the OP, but Merf sez the two new attractions (which will both have FP) aren't the ones the permits are for because of addresses ... but that really makes you wonder what they'll be if that is correct (and playing with MK exact addresses is an inexact science). Are we gonna have FP added to the TTA next ... or ressies to get lousy fast food at Cosmic Ray's.

Absurd.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
All of this being added for this NexGen nonsense? Where is my reserved seating for CoP and the shows? Surely that is going to come next.

Wait, maybe I shouldn't say that since a suit will probably read this and take it seriously.

ParentsOf4

Is it possible that Mansion, PotC, Aladdin, and Small World are being targeted for Next Gen exactly because they don't need FP? In other words, are they using these attractions for the trial of the new system, thinking they'd cause the least amount of disruption if anything goes wrong?

I dislike the idea of Next Gen, assuming it means having to plan my park days potentially weeks or months before I arrive. However, if Next Gen is going to be used (at least initially) on attractions that don't need FP, is it possible that Next Gen will be used to more evenly distribute crowds, the way that FPs are handed out for the first showing of Lights, Motor, Action? Is there some hope that Disney won't install Next Gen on all attractions?

(Be gentle; I realize I'm being hopelessly optimistic.;))

asianway

Haunted Mansion had fastpass at one point and it was removed because it wasn't necessary. Why on Earth would they think it's needed now? The ride isn't any more popular now than when they removed it.
It's called groupthink and steamrolling. A VP has a pet project and even if they have a dozen directors and managers telling them its a bad idea, they're all going to go along with it or risk losing their jobs. This is why I'd like to believe if you can correct the problem with leadership at the top the ship can correct itself rather quickly.

Horizonsfan

Certainly does seem absurd. Some have speculated that its to create artificial demand and artificial value for Xpass. I dislike it, same thing bothers me about Uni's express pass. They advertise it as something worthwhile, while half of the attractions clearly don't need it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Haunted Mansion had fastpass at one point and it was removed because it wasn't necessary. Why on Earth would they think it's needed now? The ride isn't any more popular now than when they removed it.

Simple... including it includes it in the XPass system. Noobs don't know they don't need a FP for HM or POTC.. but when planning out their vacation with XPass 'of course Johnny wants to ride POTC!!' and not having FP would not allow them to include it in the scheduling.

It's comfort thing for people - but unnecessary. But needed to make XPass seem 'complete'. Leaving out the park's top attractions would confuse people.

71jason

Simple... including it includes it in the XPass system. Noobs don't know they don't need a FP for HM or POTC.. but when planning out their vacation with XPass 'of course Johnny wants to ride POTC!!' and not having FP would not allow them to include it in the scheduling.

It's comfort thing for people - but unnecessary. But needed to make XPass seem 'complete'. Leaving out the park's top attractions would confuse people.

This. Also makes the package appear to be more of a value to the noobs when they start charging for it.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I dunno, I think that, years down the line, the new FP system is gonna be regarded as a useful tool as opposed to a great mistake. I can only imagine these rumblings were being heard (on a much less technologically-advanced level) on this day in '99 when the first FP was released (I learned that from the Disney blog!).

ParentsOf4

I read on another site that the 2 other "attractions" getting FP might be fireworks and parade viewing areas. The addresses of the 2 attractions are 1220 and 1305B Monorail Way, with Monorail Way being the central Hub. Seems that Disney has been considering adding FP for some time. No facts here, just a rumor I'm passing on from another site.

lebeau

Pi$$ing away a billion is a great way to get the BODs attention...

The problem is, they probably will be able to bilk the rubes for billions using Next Gen. Sure, we'll know better. But we'll also know that if we don't play ball and pay for Next Gen, the standby line will be monstrous. So even those of us "in the know" will likely play ball if we continue to visit WDW. And the rubes? Oh, the rubes will love it!

My biggest fear regarding Next Gen is that it will work.

the-reason14

Billy Scott, his initials are what this is to me. Don't know when this crap is gonna be implemented, but I think it's clear now that WDW wants to replace us with newer fans who are completely oblivious to the way things should be. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. Hopefully when and if I go back in the near future I can get some free tickets from some CP friends, otherwise I don't see it being worth it. Disneyland sounds nice though.

wendysue

The problem is, they probably will be able to bilk the rubes for billions using Next Gen. Sure, we'll know better. But we'll also know that if we don't play ball and pay for Next Gen, the standby line will be monstrous. So even those of us "in the know" will likely play ball if we continue to visit WDW. And the rubes? Oh, the rubes will love it!

My biggest fear regarding Next Gen is that it will work.

The key word is "if" we continue to visit. I'm planning on having sooo much fun in September because we can still be somewhat spontaneous. I don't make dining reservations because I have no idea where I will want to eat in 6 months or even next week, and I think having to do that to get a seat sucks, so when they make it so that I have to reserve ride times, forget it......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom