Misunderstanding of things from when you were little.

JustInTime

When I went to Disney world for the first time, I misssed several things that I shouldn't have(adults!) I really wated to ride the Star Wars ride. I had no idea where it was, which park it was in or anything. So, when I found Body Wars I had thought I had found the ride. I thought it was a play on words. I hated the ride. It was like The Magic School Bus on crack. For years I thought I had ridden the Star Wars ride. It wasn't untill 2007(age 21) that I figured out Star Wars was in MGM and I rode somithing similar in Epcot but nowhere near Star Wars. :ROFLOL:The sad thing is, I have been 5 times and didn't know the Lucas section was even in MGM!!! I finally rode the ride in 2007!

Tiff7

it's hollywood studios JustInTime. all interesting stuff. especially about the haunted mansion (happy 40th b-day hm!) & test track

Oddysey

When I was on the TTA and you enter space mountain I noticed the rockets with people on them moving up the ramp towards space. I also noticed life fearing screams shortly after.

I didn't realize they were on space mountain and thought the two tracks were an extension of TTA. I thought we were lucky to go on the track that stayed level because the people I heard screaming were falling to there deaths where the track ended. Most little kids are afraid of HM, I was afraid of the TTA.

I used to think Peter Pan's Flight had an empty abyss underneath it, the POTC could actually shoot you, (and in that Disneyland special about the ride, I thought the gunpowder they sat on as they shot each other at the end would actually explode) and that the Jungle Cruise Skipper used to use real guns :lookaroun

This is a story similar to yours but through my 4 year old cousins eyes. His name is Will and when we traveled next to the pirate captain just after the drop (before Barbosa) the captain yells "fire at will"!! Will then began to cry and cried until the ride was over. I make fun of him for it to this day. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

New one for me...

I thought the Restaurant San Angel, that overlooks El Rio Del Tiempo was fake and all the people were AA's.:eek::lol: I thought it was part of the ride.

Laura

Premium Member
Back in the old days when you actually waited in line for Space Mountain INSIDE the mountain and they had the TV's with the goofy space news shows and space commercials...I used to be completely fascinated with the animated ceiling above. As a kid that ceiling seemed SO high and I thought all the shooting stars on it were actually the ride vehicles darting back and forth way, way, way up there. So when we were on the ride, I thought we were the shooting stars on the ceiling.

the-reason14

I thought that the Space mt. roller coaster part with the cars were the shooting stars that shoot really fast all over the cieling. I thought those were the cars and people were on them, or atleast that was part of the ride lol.

Kingman1283

I always thought the facade of "It's a Small World" was some kind of restaurant when I was little. I never realized it was the same exact building when I was actually on the ride. :brick:

SuperId

I went to WDW for the first time with a friend and prior to the trip, I was told by someone else that you had to pay to go on each individual ride. I was terrified that I would either A) Not have enough money to ride anything or B) have to ask my friend's parents for money. I was filled with dread and embarassment until we got to the first ride (POTC) and no one asked for cash.

Wilt Dasney

Back in the old days when you actually waited in line for Space Mountain INSIDE the mountain and they had the TV's with the goofy space news shows and space commercials...I used to be completely fascinated with the animated ceiling above. As a kid that ceiling seemed SO high and I thought all the shooting stars on it were actually the ride vehicles darting back and forth way, way, way up there. So when we were on the ride, I thought we were the shooting stars on the ceiling.

I thought that the Space mt. roller coaster part with the cars were the shooting stars that shoot really fast all over the cieling. I thought those were the cars and people were on them, or atleast that was part of the ride lol.

These posts were made at the same minute. That's gotta be like 80 kabillion-1 odds. :lol:

ttalovebug

Mine's not exactly a misunderstanding, but still kind of funny. I had this little Mexican boy doll my grandfather gave me (he was from mexico) that I took everywhere. One night I had this dream that I was on Peter Pan's Flight with my doll, and I dropped him in the London scene. But he fell and got smaller and smaller, as if we really were that high. So I became a little paranoid about that scene and held on to my things, even though I knew it was just a ride.

Funny though, the other day getting on Star Tours, there was a terrified little girl who kept telling her family that she liked earth and didn't want to go to space. :eek:

JustInTime

it's hollywood studios JustInTime.

It's Hollywood Studios now but I haven't been since they renamed it. So when I talk about my trips, I think it is safe to call it MGM because thats what it was called when I was there. However, I am leaving for the world in a week. When I talk about 09's trip I will be sure to include the newer name. :shrug:

I_heart_Tigger

JustInTime

Ok I'm mainly replying because I saw your signature and realized that not only are we both going to be staying at the same resort in the same week but we're also both reading the same books. I'm bringing "From Dead to Worse" with me when I leave next week.

I think you're my doppleganger...we must never meet :lookaroun

musketeer

Original Poster
I thought of another one. When I was little, I could never understand why they built a Temporary Hotel, why not just build a permanant one. And what would happen to the monorail if the Temporary Hotel was no longer there.

juan

As a very small child, I was scared of Illuminations, but always liked watching it from far away. As soon as the floats would start to come out in the afternoon, I would get upset and real scared that the fireworks were going to start soon and would want to get back to a farther distance.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I thought of another one. When I was little, I could never understand why they built a Temporary Hotel, why not just build a permanant one. And what would happen to the monorail if the Temporary Hotel was no longer there.

That's too funny. :lol: :wave:

Dragonrider1227

Oh, something else I used to think when I was little. I used to wonder if Disney keeps creating new characters, won't Disney World eventually be over crowded with them and run out of room for the guests? :lol:
Mine's not exactly a misunderstanding, but still kind of funny. I had this little Mexican boy doll my grandfather gave me (he was from mexico) that I took everywhere. One night I had this dream that I was on Peter Pan's Flight with my doll, and I dropped him in the London scene. But he fell and got smaller and smaller, as if we really were that high. So I became a little paranoid about that scene and held on to my things, even though I knew it was just a ride.
Oh No! Did you ever get your doll back?

DarthGrady

Just the other day I proved one of my childhood memoried wrong!

One of my earliest ECPOT memories was going with my mom. One of the trips we stopped in Communicore. We were at a table that was next to a lower level where there were computer screens and different interactive things to do. I always thought that those things were on a lower floor. The machines were crank powered light bulbs, and the touch screen terminals where you designed roller coasters and maneuvered little cars through city streets by just dragging your finger.

I thought this was located where Mouse Gear is now, since that area used to have an upper floor.

I watched Martin's '86 SSE tribute that features lots of CC footage. Right there in front of me were the same tables in the main hallway behind the restaurant (that is now EU). Those tables were next to a rail that divided them from Energy Exchange. That area is where the exhibits were. The "US Population" counter sealed it, since I remember being able to see that too. All this time I was remembering the wrong section!

Here's Martin's picture that helped me out. Thanks Martin!
CCore_comp_CCore_NE_EnEx.jpg

vonpluto

That's what we called it when DD was five.

And, of course, when staying at the Temporary Hotel, you could ride the Monkeyrail to Apricot Center and see Pigment.

:hammer::ROFLOL:

vonpluto

Just the other day I proved one of my childhood memoried wrong!

One of my earliest ECPOT memories was going with my mom. One of the trips we stopped in Communicore. We were at a table that was next to a lower level where there were computer screens and different interactive things to do. I always thought that those things were on a lower floor. The machines were crank powered light bulbs, and the touch screen terminals where you designed roller coasters and maneuvered little cars through city streets by just dragging your finger.

I thought this was located where Mouse Gear is now, since that area used to have an upper floor.

I watched Martin's '86 SSE tribute that features lots of CC footage. Right there in front of me were the same tables in the main hallway behind the restaurant (that is now EU). Those tables were next to a rail that divided them from Energy Exchange. That area is where the exhibits were. The "US Population" counter sealed it, since I remember being able to see that too. All this time I was remembering the wrong section!

Here's Martin's picture that helped me out. Thanks Martin!
CCore_comp_CCore_NE_EnEx.jpg

Expletive Deleted!! If that is a then and now pic it really tics me off.
A wonderful open area with lots of natural light above, to "Welcome to Home Depot" below.
:mad::hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom