Misunderstanding of things from when you were little.

musketeer

Original Poster
Recently, there was a thread on how you maybe remembered something different than what was reality, and could have sworn you were right, but it couldn't possibly be true.

That made me think of another topic, things you remember correctly, but complete misunderstood when you were little.

I have a few:

1) Whenever we would take the monorail through the contemporary, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, but I never understood why it didn't stop. And each time, I would just hope and hope and hope that this time, it would stop, but never did, and I didn't know why.

2) I never understood why we didn't go to any of the other streets besides main street. I wondered what would happen if we turned right or left, but never really looked to see that they were dead ends.

3) On omni-mover type rides, when you get off the ride, the vehicle of course keeps going and exits the room you are in. Well, I always wondered about where they went. I had any number of ideas of what happened to the ride vehicles from that point on. They went to some mystical land, or through some sort of force field where if you were still sitting in it, you'd be disintegrated. Never did it dawn on me that it just went right back to the room where I got on the ride in the first place.

...just thought this might be an interesting topic.

bgraham34

When I was younger I wondered the same thing about the CR. I always wanted to stop there but never did. Ha what funny memories come back.

EPCOTPluto

3) Well, I always wondered about where they went. I had any number of ideas of what happened to the ride vehicles from that point on. They went to some mystical land, or through some sort of force field where if you were still sitting in it, you'd be disintegrated.
:lol: I always wondered that as well! Until I turned 14, and rode the HM full circle, literally... :lookaroun

I also had the impression that there WAS a Track B in Test Track...

And do you remember the swiveling lights from Food Rocks? And how they come together to form that Hidden Mickey?
Well, I would jump on the middle like it was "the only rock in a pond" back in the mid 1990s...

I am sure there are others, but I just can't remember now... :eek:

agent86

I grew up on DL and was already an adult by the time I visited WDW the first time. However, the following would apply to WDW too because it refers to POTC and HM... Both of those attractions would always be among the first ones that we'd ride, so it was always daylight when we rode them. But when I was a little kid, I always expected it to be night time when we got off the rides because both of them take place at night time.

DisneyDellsDude

For some reason, I thought you could go inside the boat at Typhoon Lagoon and it would rock you back and fourth on the mountain.

I also thought there were two different Haunted Mansion attractions - since you had the two stretchrooms.
This was also enforced by an experience I had in the attraction. In the cooridor of doors, there are hands that are trying to pull open the doors. One ride, I swear that the hands were one color, and then the next ride they were colored differently. I couldn't figure out how they'd be able to do that since it's an omnimover, and someone is always watching every scene. My mom was riding the same doombuggy as me, and she saw it too.:veryconfu

Chevross

When I was little I always thought that Disney World was all painted during the night so it'd still look fresh the next day. However I learned how paint works and saw that it was impossible for the whole of Disney to be painted in one night.

EPCOTPluto

It would shut up some people who complains about a speck of paint that has been worn off... :lookaroun:zipit::zipit::zipit:

EPCOT Explorer

No actually it was never meant to be a walk-through. However, making it a walk-through attraction was one of the original ideas that was suggested when they were first developing the concept for the attraction.
That's what I was referring to. Crump had the idea for a "Museum of the Weird" concept, and it eventually grew, with Walt's guidance into what we know as the Haunted Mansion.:wave:

Mad Stitch

Not park related but when Marry Poppins sang “feed the birds, tuppence a bag” I didn’t know what tuppence was. When I asked my mother and found out I thought they were feeding the birds bags of money.

Buried20KLeague

When I was little... REALLY little... I thought 20k actually went out to the ocean. I thought the whole thing was real. Made perfect sense to me, because we were in Florida. I thought if you went down a good 20 feet or so, you'd have to be under the land and in water. Then you just head toward the ocean.

I think I thought the same thing about Sea Base Alpha for a short time, till I figured that out. It made perfect sense that the hydrolaters were taking us down through the ground and "under" Florida, to the sea base below it.

Man. I miss being able to think that way. :(

westie

On our daughters first trip to the world, age 3, she believed the hotel lobby was wdw and when couldn't get her out w/o a fit. Luckily, we had traveled all day and she quickly nodded off in front of the tv in the lobby and we wisked her onto the bus where she awoke in "Et-pops" parking lot. To see the magic in her eyes makes mine well with joy every time!
Mine is Monsanto or the Shrinking ride that was at DL. I never been so scared, cried my eyes out as my brother forced me to be shrunk. I still remember the big eyeball looking at me through the microscope. Then afterwards making him do it like 5 more times!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When I was little... REALLY little... I thought 20k actually went out to the ocean. I thought the whole thing was real. Made perfect sense to me, because we were in Florida. I thought if you went down a good 20 feet or so, you'd have to be under the land and in water. Then you just head toward the ocean.

I think I thought the same thing about Sea Base Alpha for a short time, till I figured that out. It made perfect sense that the hydrolaters were taking us down through the ground and "under" Florida, to the sea base below it.

Man. I miss being able to think that way. :(
I thought the same thing about 20k as well. I remember thinking that the star fish that you saw on the side of the docks were real.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom