Mission:Space update (confirmed)

brb1006

Eisner was an epic CEO for the entire company until the late 90's.

All the things you mentioned are his early term when he was doing great for the company. He successfully made money off of small hits in the box office, he added to the park's, but you are missing two things VERY IMPORTANT.

Eisner's Hollywood Studios was rushed to compete with Universal Studios and it was a failed concept. Literally penned as a half day park. Only had what? 3 rides?

Animal Kingdom opened with 2 rides!!!! TWO!!! Kilimanjaro Safaris and Countdown to Extinction. Kali River Rapids/Asia was followed shortly, but it was a D-ticket at best with its super short length and zero thrills.

Expedition Everest is an epic ride (did I say it was epic?), but the ride has flaws. It wasn't as good as it should have been for the scale. Although I'm not complaining, I do give Eisner props for it, but it was built mainly for the reason that the park was underbuilt.

Toy Story Midway Mania is the best interactive ride ever made. It may not be a super headliner, but it is certainly an E-ticket. Something about it is just so damn fun, and that's what a theme park is all about: FUN. It was one hell of a win then and it is one hell of a win now.

Must I mention Eisner's destruction of the animation division (right before The Little Mermaid, he wanted to close it!) in the late 90's into the 2000's. His fued with Pixar that almost cost Disney their partnership. I mean he literally opened Disneyland Paris and overbuilt the resort, so of course it was going to initially fail.

He destroyed the Disney theme park name making s#%£ parks like Walt Disney Studios, the original Disney's California Adventure, and even to a lesser extent Disney's Hollywood Studios, and the original Animal Kingdom (unlike DCA just being bad everywhere this park was just severely underbuilt).

Notice that while I hate Disney's treatment of The Walt Disney World Resort, every problem that they have now was because of Eisner. Oh and yes there was a lack of investment, but we are now getting it, so stay tuned.

Did I mention that under Iger DCA has become second to worst to one of the best theme parks in the world?

Oh and that's not to mention how good Iger has been for the company TRIPLING THE STOCK, acquiring 3 of the best movie companies the world has ever known, fixing Walt Disney Animation, repairing theme parks like Disney California Adventure and soon to be many others, and the list goes on and on too.

My friends, there is a reason a man, Roy E. Disney, wanted to rid the Walt Disney Company of this man. Eisner's time was up a decade before he left, and had he left then, he would have been viewed as a CEO that made Disney so good, but in turn his last few years were disastrous.

If you want to be fair with comparisons of things done, compare the amount of E-tickets shuttered for inferior attractions, and compare the upcoming attractions (for example, Expedition Everest had nothing to do with Iger). Walt Disney World has been in a terrible state for the last 20 years, but things are changing for the better, unlike Eisner changing for the worse.
What makes it even worse is the fact that Eisner repeatedly made mistakes, whether DCA, Hong Kong, etc. There was a reason that people were flocking to Tokyo Disney SEA yet he completely ignored that reason.

If you haven't stepped through Cars Land I suggest you do. Such an epic land for what's now (surprise, because of Iger) an epic park. People are not going to see eye to eye with me; that's a fact and there's nothing wrong with that. I just wish people would stop hating on a CEO that's clearly doing a better job than Eisner and will leave the parks in far better shape. That doesn't mean I won't get frustrated (closing GMR for Mickey... really?) but as a whole moves in the future seem to be for the better.

Oh, and Iger's team is about to fix Mission: Space, another one of Eisner's (albeit one of his better) mistakes. But it came at a cost of Horizons. The godawful thing that is there today at Epcot? Figment? That was done by Eisner. Wonders of Life going seasonal to its death? That was Eisner. Closing 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea? That was Eisner. Mr. Toad? You guessed it. Not expanding the Monorail when it was more feasible? That was Eisner (funny to talk about but it is true).

My rant is coming to a close, so thank you for reading. Now I am not a Pixie Duster. But the bottom line is that Iger has been much better than Eisner was, and especially how he left the company.
Not to mention Iger brought back the rights to Oswald The Lucky Rabbit....even though he hasn't been used as much as he did back in 2010 and 2013 during the Epic Mickey era.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can Epcot Center really be viable in a country where science has become a political issue along with global partnerships?

Plenty of attractions include creatures older than the 5,000 years ago of a literal interpretation of Biblical creation: Epcot has UoE with the Big Bang and dinosaurs; DAK has DINOSAUR; and DHS has Steven Tyler.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Plenty of attractions include creatures older than the 5,000 years ago of a literal interpretation of Biblical creation: Epcot has UoE with the Big Bang and dinosaurs; DAK has DINOSAUR; and DHS has Steven Tyler.
I think they where referring to "global warming" which is as much a political issue as scientific one, but I think that is a debate for another fourm...

So any news on the updates? Has a ladder been seen?

sedati

I think they where referring to "global warming"
I wish it was just climate change, and no, I won't put that in quotes. But this is a country where certain news organizations grant more time and credence to the idea that same-sex marriage causes global catastrophes then look into connections between fraking and earthquakes.
Sorry to be "political " and this is the last I'll say a bit here, but I thought this warranted a response.

Last edited:

trainplane3

Did I miss where this "spine" was explained? I've seen it mentioned by @marni1971 but without any discription of why we should be excited.
He said there were 2 different ones. One good, one bad. He said we'd know if they chose the bad one. One of the proposals is "Tron-like" but he didn't specify if it was the good or bad one. I personally think it's the good one but we'll hopefully find out soon. I don't think there were any other details either.

I think one of the insiders said they were going to get quieter as we get closer to D23 as well. So we probably won't get anymore details until after.

S 2

Can Epcot Center really be viable in a country where science has become a political issue along with global partnerships?
This is it right here, these things have been so politicized that if Disney were to reinvest into the themes of Epcot today they would be accused of taking a side. Science isn't something we can have opinions about, you can't just choose not to believe in it like that. I wish Disney would invest into the original message of Epcot and make an effort to entertain and educate like a museum from the future. I can't accept Epcot is just gonna become MK 2.0. Some of these posts remind me of the negative doomsday predictions when it was announced that Pandora would be coming to AK a few years back. There may be more IPs than many of us are comfortable with, but let's not forget this is Disney so hold on to your seats and prepare to be blown away..

S 2

Also: IS THERE ANY CHANCE MISSION SPACE WILL FINISH REFURBISHMENT A FEW DAYS EARLY OR DO REFURBISHMENTS AT DISNEY ALWAYS LAST UNTIL PROJECTED OPENING DATE? sorry to yell it's my second time asking and this actually relates to what this post is supposed to be about...

S 2

The WDWMagic refurbishment site (http://www.wdwmagic.com/refurbishments.htm) still lists Mission: Space as completing refurbishments on July 31, but others had mentioned that it was behind schedule. I'll be at WDW July 29th through August 5th... any chance it'll be reopened by then, or no chance?

Am I going crazy or has the date been changed to open a month early? I could have sworn it was set to open AUGUST 31, a week AFTER my trip!! Great news!!

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Am I going crazy or has the date been changed to open a month early? I could have sworn it was set to open AUGUST 31, a week AFTER my trip!! Great news!!

I believe that the WDWMagic refurb page always said July 31st (from several weeks/months before the work already started), it's only been since work has started that some insiders (especially @marni1971) had mentioned that it may be behind schedule, so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet... I was hoping for an update from one of the insiders who may know more or have a better idea as to when this may reopen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom