Mission:Space update (confirmed)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It's more about when you're walking through from the plaza. Like Horizons, and The Land sight lines were mainly from the center..
It was more about seeing a piece of good architecture from any angle. The designers of the original park were proud the pavilions looked good from any angle. Even the back. Such was the scale and depth of EPCOT Center.

Horizons and Energy BTW were designed to look great from the back and the sides. They would have been clearly visible from these angles from the LBV monorail.

montyz81

Also, replacing Ellen with something more modern (regardless if it includes IP) is hardly going to 'damage' anything. Have you been on Energy? Have you listed to how dated it actually is?
I think the point is why can't it be updated with something as great as the original 1982 ride was? Putting something in Epcot that doesn't map to the plaque at the front of the park just makes things messy for a place defined as a "Theme" Park.

Oriolesmagic

First and probably only trip I'll get make to Disney and the ride I've wanted to do is closed. Sucks for me I guess

Sorry about the bad luck. I'll echo what some others have said, however, in saying that this attraction desperately needs it.

It has the potential to be a fine attraction but it certainly hasn't aged well. EPCOT has so much more to offer and remain excited about!

HMF

Also, replacing Ellen with something more modern (regardless if it includes IP) is hardly going to 'damage' anything. Have you been on Energy? Have you listed to how dated it actually is?
I am painfully aware how dated EEA is. I just feel it needs a replacement that fits Epcot not just throw anything in there.

HMF

First and probably only trip I'll get make to Disney and the ride I've wanted to do is closed. Sucks for me I guess
That's pretty much how I feel (in retrospect) about having never experienced Horizons though obviously that's not coming back.

Last edited:

twilight mitsuk

It was more about seeing a piece of good architecture from any angle. The designers of the original park were proud the pavilions looked good from any angle. Even the back. Such was the scale and depth of EPCOT Center.

Horizons and Energy BTW were designed to look great from the back and the sides. They would have been clearly visible from these angles from the LBV monorail.

so were some WS pavilions eg. japan and france

Goofyernmost

Honestly, it's pretty much regarded as being mediocre to good. There are WAY better attractions in Disney World's line up.
It depends who you ask. I know many, including myself, that wouldn't miss it. Funny thing is that even though I like it, I don't make a general statement that everyone does and rate it anything other the my own level of enjoyment. However, if people don't like it they have no problem with telling others that it isn't worth it. I cannot tell how how upset I got at a guy standing just outside it and telling people that were thinking about riding it not to do it, because it sucks and will surely make them sick, etc. etc. Why do people feel compelled to stop others from seeing for themselves what things are like. It's OK to warn people that if they are going on the orange side to be sure they don't have an inner ear problem, because that will cause them some real issues, but, the green side is just fun with no real issue of motion sickness problems.

Michel Lichand

I took a friend of mine with me and I thoroughly warned him about being sick. He still had a great experience.

Everyone who I took on Mission: Space liked it. I even had a friend who didn't like most stuff going 'the presentation really sells this'.

It's got potential. It just sucks for repeated visits.

Goofyernmost

I took a friend of mine with me and I thoroughly warned him about being sick. He still had a great experience.

Everyone who I took on Mission: Space liked it. I even had a friend who didn't like most stuff going 'the presentation really sells this'.

It's got potential. It just sucks for repeated visits.
If you knew me you would know that I am not a real demonstrative person. I very seldom publicly show any emotion, be it joy or sadness. I keep my feelings to myself unless engaged in a conversation about a specific topic and so on. However, the first time I rode Mission Space (orange) I was in a module with 3 complete strangers because I usually travel alone. The ride stopped and I put my arms up in the air and literally yelled out "AWESOME". That may not seem like much, and it isn't really, but, it is the strongest reaction I have ever had to a Disney ride. I like most of the attractions at Disney, but, to me that one was so immersive that even I was impressed beyond my normal reaction to things.

Personally, I think a lot of people have not allowed themselves to enjoy it because it replaced their beloved "Horizons". I thought Horizons was good too, but, if one wants to talk about a ride that had limited repeat-ability, for me, after the first dozen times. MS is something that I always enjoy, just for the reality feel of it.

djkidkaz

People keep saying the ride desparately needs updating but what can you really update? So you change the video on the small monitor? A large portion of the video is essentially looking at the sky and then black space and stars. Unless they are going to add more in-cabin effects which I don't see happening I don't think changing the video will have a large impact on the rider numbers for this attraction.

TabulaRasa

It depends who you ask. I know many, including myself, that wouldn't miss it. Funny thing is that even though I like it, I don't make a general statement that everyone does and rate it anything other the my own level of enjoyment. However, if people don't like it they have no problem with telling others that it isn't worth it. I cannot tell how how upset I got at a guy standing just outside it and telling people that were thinking about riding it not to do it, because it sucks and will surely make them sick, etc. etc. Why do people feel compelled to stop others from seeing for themselves what things are like. It's OK to warn people that if they are going on the orange side to be sure they don't have an inner ear problem, because that will cause them some real issues, but, the green side is just fun with no real issue of motion sickness problems.
And that's why I posted what seems to be the general consensus for the attraction...it's decent, but not mindblowingly amazing. I would never discourage anyone from riding it, and I did enjoy it when I rode it the one and only time I did. Taking the motion sickness aspect out of it (because it really isn't fair to include in the attraction's assessment), it's not that the attraction is bad, it's just 'okay' and feels like it comes up short. Like others have stated, the narrative is a bit off - are you training to go to space, or actually going to space? Graphics need to be updated, and the attraction is screaming for custom/varied experiences.

October82

People keep saying the ride desparately needs updating but what can you really update? So you change the video on the small monitor? A large portion of the video is essentially looking at the sky and then black space and stars. Unless they are going to add more in-cabin effects which I don't see happening I don't think changing the video will have a large impact on the rider numbers for this attraction.

A more compelling and realistic plot and higher quality images would help a great deal.

RSoxNo1

Don't you mean facade?

The other Futureworld buildings were designed to be interesting architecture from any angle. MS is a square shed with a pretty front.
There are still components of the buildings that were hidden. Most of the Horizons show building was obscured. Personally, I'll take the Mission: SPACE facade over anything that has ever been in Future World East. Just my opinion, but I've always felt that the Future World East buildings have been ugly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom