Mission:Space update (confirmed)

PorterRedkey

I got the impression that this would be the rumored upgrade.
I did too, at first. Later posts had me questioning it this was the upgrade or not. Some posters said this upgrade was coming in 2018. All this has led to my confusion.
I want to think it will be a new experience/movie when I visit in the fall, but I am trying to temper my expectations. It seems like Disney would have said something by now if it was changing. We'll see.

Any insider input is appreciated!!!

Mark Dunne

UPDATED MARCH 23 2017:
Mission SPACE closing for lengthy refurbishment this summer

This is rumored to be the reason Splash Mtn is going down early. Also rumored to be the first of at least 5 or 6 imminent Epcot upgrades. I, for one will welcome any improvements to the dated graphics on this.

Thank you,that's what I was aiming at,looks a bit dated now,the graphics I mean,the whole attraction is still a great idea though,there's no reason they can't update the ride,so here's hoping that will

Dragonman

I'm glad nobody has died on this ride for at least 12 years now. Disney should really think more about the possible dangers when creating a ride with heavy G forces

Bocabear

I'm glad nobody has died on this ride for at least 12 years now. Disney should really think more about the possible dangers when creating a ride with heavy G forces
Cuz I am sure it NEVER occured to them to do that...lol I am sure they did exhaustive research before creating this attraction... People die everywhere doing almost nything... There is no way to completely make everything 100% safe for everyone regardless of physical condition... I think they were trying to do something new and unique.. IMO, where the ride failed is the lack of complete pavilion...it is a one and done ride rather than a pavilion full of things to see and do...with appropriate attractions for various age groups and physical limitations.

Daveeeeed

Cuz I am sure it NEVER occured to them to do that...lol I am sure they did exhaustive research before creating this attraction... People die everywhere doing almost nything... There is no way to completely make everything 100% safe for everyone regardless of physical condition... I think they were trying to do something new and unique.. IMO, where the ride failed is the lack of complete pavilion...it is a one and done ride rather than a pavilion full of things to see and do...with appropriate attractions for various age groups and physical limitations.
Definitely! Imagine a pavilion like the Seas where Mission: Space is the gateway. And maybe a C-ticket that is entered from the pavilion or through a Mission: Space bypass. Imagine a restaraunt there too.

Bocabear

Definitely! Imagine a pavilion like the Seas where Mission: Space is the gateway. And maybe a C-ticket that is entered from the pavilion or through a Mission: Space bypass. Imagine a restaraunt there too.
Absolutely...and that was what was originally envisioned...but we got the value engineered version after the costs for the centrifuges went through the roof...

jt04

They could put in a Hyperloop to Kennedy Space center. A 10 or 12 minute journey which would be much shorter wait time than most queues for Orlando attractions. Heh.

Phineas

I've always wished Disney would make a Space Travel themed Dark Ride for the pavilion as well. It'd increase foot traffic, and serve as a sort of nod to Horizons. We haven't had anything remotely close to the artistry of WDW's classic dark rides, and I think we're more than due for one.

I rode Mission: Space once. It didn't make me vomit, but it did make me feel like I had been hit by a truck, with that kind of headache that only goes away with sleep. Because of this, I've never ridden it again. And I consider myself a "Ride Person".

I don't know, the pavilion just seems so obviously unfinished.

Ralphlaw

IMO, where the ride failed is the lack of complete pavilion...it is a one and done ride rather than a pavilion full of things to see and do...with appropriate attractions for various age groups and physical limitations.

The stuff you see before the rope is pretty cool when it works. Lot's of stuff to look at it, but not yet at the hands-on level of Test Track or the multiple rooms of Star Tours. The Advanced Training Lab caters to various ages and abilities. No, the whole pavilion isn't at the grander level of The Land or Seas, but it does pretty well for what it is. It's also a pretty good gift shop compared to most.

IMO, the attraction itself is the problem. It's the exact same experience every time, and it's not quick and easy to get on. One can only take so much of Gary Sinise's hair and frozen eyebrows. The Land is a full pavilion, but how popular would it be if Soarin' wasn't there? The Imagination pavilion after ride area is very nice, but it's also underutilized because the Figment attraction itself is not very popular.

It's like the popular and unpopular Churches in any given town. The best preacher fills the seats regardless of everything else, but a mediocre preacher kills it even if the Church has everything else going on (good architecture, good music, friendly congregations). Without a good preacher, the Church is mediocre. With a great preacher, things are popular even if the architecture, the choir and the unfriendly congregation are less than optimal. Similarly, a beautiful pavilion is underwhelming if the main attraction isn't exciting.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I've always wished Disney would make a Space Travel themed Dark Ride for the pavilion as well. It'd increase foot traffic, and serve as a sort of nod to Horizons. We haven't had anything remotely close to the artistry of WDW's classic dark rides, and I think we're more than due for one.

I rode Mission: Space once. It didn't make me vomit, but it did make me feel like I had been hit by a truck, with that kind of headache that only goes away with sleep. Because of this, I've never ridden it again. And I consider myself a "Ride Person".

I don't know, the pavilion just seems so obviously unfinished.
Horizons: Century 3

Ralphlaw

Every year, just under 1% of the population dies in the U.S. More specifically, out of 100,000 people in the U.S., about 800 will die that year. If 100,000 visitors hit Disney World every day, about 2.2 of those visitors would be expected to die that very day (800 divided by 365 = 2.2). Now, that's not what will happen because most of the people in the U.S. who pass away are suffering in hospitals, nursing homes, or hospice, or are otherwise too sick to travel. Nevertheless, I do not believe it is at all an unusual occurrence for someone to die on vacation when they are subject to unfamiliar experiences, food, or habits. Even flying can trigger various ailments including deadly blood clots.

We have been on 7 Disney cruises, and the death of a passenger is announced shipwide for whatever maritime law reason. It happened once while we were onboard. Assuming 30 days on ships which contain about 2,500 passengers, (that's 75,000 passenger days) eventually it is going to happen for natural or unnatural reasons. Hang out with 2,500 people for a month, and one is bound to go.

Bottom line, people die at Disney mostly because of two reasons: (1) Bad timing; or (2) Out of routine. Are Mission Space or Big Thunder Bucket inherently dangerous? I don't think so, but obviously the experience can stress the body and trigger certain biological events that can cause a premature passing, just as athletes die every year at practice or in games. It's sad, of course, but the only way to 100% protect people is to shut down the parks because some tragic fluky event might happen to someone with a hidden health problem. America will not deny millions of people a great vacation because a handful of vulnerable individuals might get hurt.

And face it, we all might have a hidden health problem, and we all probably fit some risk category. I had a heart rhythm problem one day in my 19,000 days on this Earth. I spent a couple hours in the ER, and then went home. Should I be barred from riding? Of course not. But if I happen to die on the teacups, many will say the attraction is dangerous and should be closed. Others will say I was high risk and never should have been on there in the first place. They are all wrong. Life = risk. Stop worrying about the extremely remote dangers and live life to its fullest. Tragically, 2 people died on Mission Space. Warnings are posted. That should be enough, but the risk will be there. Eventually, even the most benign rides will have someone die on them.

Last edited:

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Every year, just under 1% of the population dies in the U.S. More specifically, out of 100,000 people in the U.S., about 800 will die that year. If 100,000 visitors hit Disney World every day, about 2.2 of those visitors would be expected to die that very day (800 divided by 365 = 2.2). Now, that's not what will happen because most of the people in the U.S. who pass away are suffering in hospitals, nursing homes, or hospice, or are otherwise too sick to travel. Nevertheless, I do not believe it is at all an unusual occurrence for someone to die on vacation when they are subject to unfamiliar experiences, food, or habits. Even flying can trigger various ailments including deadly blood clots.

We have been on 7 Disney cruises, and the death of a passenger is announced shipwide for whatever maritime law reason. It happened once while we were onboard. Assuming 30 days on ships which contain about 2,500 passengers, (that's 75,000 passenger days) eventually it is going to happen for natural or unnatural reasons. Hang out with 2,500 people for a month, and one is bound to go.

Bottom line, people die at Disney mostly because of two reasons: (1) Bad timing; or (2) Out of routine. Are Mission Space or Big Thunder Bucket inherently dangerous? I don't think so, but obviously the experience can stress the body and trigger certain biological events that can cause a premature passing, just as athletes die every year at practice or in games. It's sad, of course, but the only way to 100% protect people is to shut down the parks because some tragic fluky event might happen to someone with a hidden health problem. America will not deny millions of people a great vacation because a handful of vulnerable individuals might get hurt.

And face it, we all might have a hidden health problem, and we all probably fit some risk category. I had a heart rhythm problem one day in my 19,000 days on this Earth. I spent a couple hours in the ER, and then went home. Should I be barred from riding? Of course not. But if I happen to die on the teacups, many will say the attraction is dangerous and should be closed. Others will say I was high risk and never should have been on there in the first place. They are all wrong. Life = risk. Stop worrying about the extremely remote dangers and live life to its fullest. Tragically, 2 people died on Mission Space. Warnings are posted. That should be enough, but the risk will be there. Eventually, the most benign rides will have someone die on them.

Thank You, I was about to post something similar. I know death is a common occurrence at hotels and they have procedures to handle that. I would be curious to know what Disney's procedure is and how many people die while staying on site a month. It's one of the very real and less magical things Disney has to deal with

Goofyernmost

A perfect point. There is inherent risk riding any type of ride, thrill or not. You may have a pre-existing condition you didn't know about, and a mild ride could trigger it.
Or perhaps all those years of bacon cheeseburgers happened to catch up with people right at that point. I had a neighbor that had a massive heart attack while sitting in his recliner watching TV. Oh, and closer still, my Father had a massive coronary sitting in his rocker, sipping coffee and reading the newspaper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom