Mission: Space tragedy

Irrawaddy Erik

Elonwy said:
Rob, in theory this sounds great and very responsible as a parent but honestly...if your kids are absolutely set on doing this ride (please Daddy...please, please PLEASE) would you wait in a 2 hour line up (theories here...it might be 1 hour or 45 min) then come back to the kids, tell them it's OK and wait another 2 hours to ride it...4 hours spent on one ride at Disney with your kids...I doubt most parents would do that, but I completely respect your responsibilty on this issue

El
Actually if you speak with a cast member this can be easily coordinated. It happens a lot more than you think.

Irrawaddy Erik

jcat2312 said:
Okay...Maybe a stupid correlation but...McDonald's coffee is very hot, we all know that. Their cups say, "Caution: Very Hot". People who spill this coffee sue McDonald's.

Is this how it is going to be with Disney?
Exactly....Eventually there will be a sign as you enter into WDW durring the summer.......Caution: Very Hot

KingStefan

tigsmom said:
...I stated before IMHO a 4 y/o should not have been on that ride, but it is just that MY humble opinion.
Mad, you've been kind to me on the boards, even when others have not. So I am hesitant to criticize or correct. But as I have said before, saying that IYHO a 4 y/o should not have been on the rides is quite different from saying the mother is to blame for the child's death, which is what it appears some people are saying, and I think that that's what Laura is objecting to (Laura, please correct me if I am wrong), and that being the case I agree with her.

CTXRover

wannabeBelle said:
I am afraid I just dont understand your post. Sorry. Belle

The post was also directed at me, and I too am afraid I don't understand the post. What was with the image of blades posted Mr. Nanacho?

Elonwy

Possible preventions for Disney Thrill rides

I'm a big fan of thrill rides and I don't have children so I don't want Disney to make every ride "fairies and pixie dust" or I would have less reason to visit.

But i think that this tragedy should be looked at as a stepping stone for new, updated safety measures for thrill rides.

I know a lot of people think that the height restriction should be coupled by or replaced by an age restriction but can Disney pull this off.

Perhaps with the coded theme park passes, each one can be individually coded with a persons age and they would have to swipe or insert it it to enter each ride (like a FASTpass card but mandatory at the entrance)

Also, I agree with the comments that so many rides have warnings that it's become moot. When my Dad travelled to Disney a few years after a heart attack there were so many warnings that he thought he wouldn't be allowed on any ride but honestly, we rode a few first and found them so tame that we encouraged him to go on them and he didn't have any problems...could this have been a huge mistake, ABSOLUTELY! But when every 3-D, moving, spinning, dropping, dark and loud ride has a warning not to go on it's hard to take them all seriously.

So, perhaps Disney needs to rate rides more like movies...dependant on age, as well as height.

Any other suggestions? If there's any chance that another childs death could be prevented I think precautions should be taken.

testtracker

Shanice said:
You act like this is some isolated incident. You seem to be overlooking the fact that people are getting sick on the ride on a daily basis and several people had to visit the emergency room because of the ride. When's the last time you saw someone have to go to the emergency room after a trip on PotC? Get real....

isolat·ed 1 : occurring alone or once : UNIQUE

in·ci·dent- 3 : an action likely to lead to grave consequences especially in diplomatic matters

Ok the facts : One person died after riding this "death trap"
A few have gotten very nausiated after riding

You need to rethink you're THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT IDEA because its very far from the truth

And you say "getting sick on a daily basis" is a real problem but there are millions of sick people around the world NOT just on M:S

KingStefan

Slade said:
No offense, but you should calm down just a bit. His point was that he believes that a 4yo shouldn't have been on the ride, period. The ride itself isn't meant for every man, woman, and child that passes the height requirement. In my OPINION, it IS up to the parent(s) to decide if their child(ren) should ride or not, not height requirements.
Excuse me, but I disagree with what you say his point was. What he said was "I place the blame with the parent on this one", and that IS a horrible thing to say, no matter what.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
CTXRover said:
The post was also directed at me, and I too am afraid I don't understand the post. What was with the image of blades posted Mr. Nanacho?

Props is just short for proper respect or recognition (I agreed with what you two posted). Just trying to be clever.

lawyergirl77

KingStefan said:
Mad, you've been kind to me on the boards, even when others have not. So I am hesitant to criticize or correct. But as I have said before, saying that IYHO a 4 y/o should not have been on the rides is quite different from saying the mother is to blame for the child's death, which is what it appears some people are saying, and I think that that's what Laura is objecting to (Laura, please correct me if I am wrong), and that being the case I agree with her.
Well said!!! I think that's the distinction that needs to be kept in mind during this discussion, as it was certainly the one that I was trying to make in my posts (albeit far less eloquently). That and what kind of steps should TWDC take (if any) to allow all of its guests (parents included) to make a more informed choice when it comes to their decision whether or not to experience a given ride.

(p.s. King Stefan - I still miss your Banquet Hall ;) It was much better than your stepdaughter's Royal Table!)

davids92

Horizons was better

I don't think anybody ever got killed on Horizons.

Horizons was a lot better ride aimed at everybody whereas Mission Space is aimed at people who like and are phycisically able to handle thrill rides.

tigsmom

KingStefan said:

I know I said I would not post anymore but I need to answer...

I was not criticizing Laura, she is emotional as are the rest of us (esp those of us who are parents). I was just pointing out that a small child could suffer from those maladies she described. We usually don't think of a child as having high BP or cardiac disease, but it can happen.

I also stated that I did not blame the mom or Disney. It was an unfortunate accident. I stated that I (me, myself) felt that a small child should not be on that ride, but I do not rule the world, just my kids.

And I don't feel criticized by you or anyone else. maybe I could have been clearer. :wave:

testtracker

Elonwy said:
Perhaps with the coded theme park passes, each one can be individually coded with a persons age and they would have to swipe or insert it it to enter each ride (like a FASTpass card but mandatory at the entrance)

That would create MAJOR wait times

Test Track Standby:
3:30
Hr. Min.

Shanice

Account Suspended
speck76 said:
You are obviously an idiot.....

over 10 million people have ridden Mission Space, and now there is one death from someone who happened to ride Mission Space

1:10,000,000 chance of death

hardly a death trap
Don't call me an idiot...If we want to resort to name calling I could call you an obese, lonely little boy who will never find a woman and must visit WDW all by his lonesome, but I won't resort to that kind of name calling.

TheOneVader

Shanice said:
Don't call me an idiot...If we want to resort to name calling I could call you an obese, lonely little boy who will never find a woman and must visit WDW all by his lonesome, but I won't resort to that kind of name calling.

So now you're a hypocrite...

speck76

Shanice said:

you are so clever......

why are you here?

KingStefan

jcat2312 said:
Do you have kids? I know exactly what my daughter can and can not handle. As I said earlier, she is a 5 year old who loves fast rides. Even though, she is past the required height, I know that she would be able to tolerate the kind of motion that is simulated on MS.....

For you to say that it is peculiar for parents to have some ability to know what their kids can physically handle is outrageous.

I know exactly what my daughter can and can't handle in whatever she does, whether it be rides, eating, playing...etc
I don't know how to say this more diplomatically: I hope and pray for your sake that your percieved god-like ability to "know exactly what [your] daughter can and can't handle" is never tested. I have two daughters, and I try my best, but I would never presume that.

Elonwy

Irrawaddy Erik said:
Actually if you speak with a cast member this can be easily coordinated. It happens a lot more than you think.

FYI anyone this was in regards to me saying that it didn't seem likely that parents would ride the ride first THEN take their kids on if it was safe....

Thanks Erik,
I didn't know this and I bet some parents out there didn't either. This is great info for parents to have!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom