Mission: Space tragedy

AndyP

lawyergirl77 said:
Topic? I would also be in favour of age-based ratings on rides. I think it's the best all-around solution. Height restrictions are based on a very important safety consideration, but I don't think that it is the only relevant factor when it comes time for a parent to use their discretion with respect to what a child should and should not ride.

Totally agree. I don't think they could or anyone wants to see Disney checking every child for age etc, but if they have guidelines in, parents have to consciously decide whether to follow the guidelines or not, and Disney could stop those that are blatently too young from riding. If it were to be strict, well its almost impossible, and the closest thing is raising height limits, which then disadvantages 'late-development' (in the broadest context). (Again, not saying age has anything to do with this case).

Marijil

speck76 said:
I would say most likely caused by a pre-existing condition.....happens once or twice each year....

Considering millions have ridden it, and now there is 1 death.......I don't think there is anything ot be concerned about, except about your own pre-existing conditions.

Way to gather all the information and draw a well thought out, informed conclusion

pax_65

4-year-olds on thrill rides

labattpark said:
Having a 4 year old kid on this ride is just plain stupid.

I disagree. It's too easy to blame the parents. I don't think they necessarily used bad judgement.

My 4-year-old son's favorite ride in WDW is Tower or Terror. He would not be frightened of Mission Space. He is healthy, physically solid and strong, and can handle nausea-inducing rides with ease (his stomach is better than mine, in fact!)

If I was in Epcot yesterday and my son was tall enough, I might have let him ride Mission Space. Having ridden that ride many times with no ill effects, I would NEVER have thought that ride could harm a healthy child. I still don't really believe it.

Jon

DisneySaint

MrNonacho said:
And? A lady died on the Pirates of the Caribbean, too.

Seriously. If we shut down every ride someone has died on, we'd lose Body Wars, anything with the word "Mountain" in it, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and I'm sure plenty more either I or the public don't know about.

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Shanice

Account Suspended
DisneyJoey said:
Seriously. If we shut down every ride someone has died on, we'd lose Body Wars, anything with the word "Mountain" in it, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and I'm sure plenty more either I or the public don't know about.

:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:
You act like this is some isolated incident. You seem to be overlooking the fact that people are getting sick on the ride on a daily basis and several people had to visit the emergency room because of the ride. When's the last time you saw someone have to go to the emergency room after a trip on PotC? Get real....

Zoot74

First off, my condolences to the family. What a horribly tragic event.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this pans out in terms of a possible lawsuit, though. I’m not placing blame on anyone here (neither his mother, nor Disney), but the fact remains that this boy did indeed die on Disney property (albeit a freak accident). I work in the insurance industry and have seen much lesser accidents settle for astounding amounts of money. You know, the people that slip on a sidewalk after it rains and then sue the property owner because the ground was wet. Believe me, it happens more than you’d think (or hope.) Posting “Warning” signs never really seem to serve as a viable defense, either. Posting a “Beware of Dog” sign on your house can be interpreted as “I have a dangerous dog; and I know it…that’s why I posted this sign”.
<O:p

Obviously, I’m not comparing the severity of this boy’s death to someone slipping on a sidewalk, but I think you get my point. I’m just saying I’ll be interested to see how Disney responds to this tragic event in the long run (although, I'll probably never hear about it).
<O:p

But, what do I know? I’m new here…

AndyP

Shanice said:
You act like this is some isolated incident. You seem to be overlooking the fact that people are getting sick on the ride on a daily basis and several people had to visit the emergency room because of the ride. When's the last time you saw someone have to go to the emergency room after a trip on PotC? Get real....

I think this is an isolated incident. People feeling sick and tragic events need to be separated. Otherwise we'd all be seriously worried about the common cold.

DisneySaint

Shanice said:

People went to the hospital and all were found to have no serious problems and were cleared immediately. The last time someone went to the emergency room after a trip on PotC? Try just 4 months ago. Please play again Shanice. You can't win this game with your rhetoric. This IS an isolated incident. See above post. It's not like people are dropping like flies and no one has been to a hospital since early 2004 on M:S.

lawyergirl77

Shanice said:
Do people really get sick on a "daily" basis for this ride (honest question - are there any real stats about it)? If so, has there been a comparison done between this and, say, the teacups or even Space Mountain? Both have provoked pretty violent reactions in people and have been reported as causing injuries.

It would be interesting to see a per capita breakdown of a certain number of "key" rides and the injuries (major, minor etc...) that have taken place on each. I'm sure that TWDC has something like this in their files that they look through when they are looking at proposals for new rides (or at the very least their insurers do! ;) )

(Please read my questions before you flame me or tell me to get real - I'm honestly wondering!!)

DisneySaint

lawyergirl77 said:
Do people really get sick on a "daily" basis for this ride (honest question - are there any real stats about it)?

What she said. Shanice, show me the actual statistics. I want evidence. Don't just "assume" this because you ignored the dozen warnings and you couldn't handle it and now have this horible spite against it.

philsfan2185

This poor kid was from outside Philly(Sellerville, PA to be exact). They interviewed his neighbors and they were pretty shook up. I saw the coverage on abc affiliate channel 6(wpvi) His family is in my prayers.

imagineer boy

Shanice said:
You act like this is some isolated incident. You seem to be overlooking the fact that people are getting sick on the ride on a daily basis and several people had to visit the emergency room because of the ride.

Why? Because they ignored the warnings! This is why my favourite ride, Alien Encounter was replaced with some cheap lousy attraction like SGE. This could be the same fate of M:S if people constantly ignore the rules.

Thelazer

People get sick on MS every day. They get sick on a roller coaster at Six Flags EVERY DAY. In other words, getting sick on a motion-based ride happens evey day.

Now, if you want to talk about the amount of G's MS pulls, VS a roller coaster at Six Flags, you might have something. If you want to compare the AMOUNT OF TIME you are affected by those G's on the two rides you may find some very interesting things.

wannabeBelle

OK just to throw this in there for people to comment on, every year someone hears about a tragedy that occurs on a football or a baseball field. A previously healthy kid who not only has a consent form completed by a parent (for arguments sake let's just assume the parent read the form prior to signing it OK??) and a physical examination performed by a doctor, goes down on the field during a practice or a game. The kid dies. Who is responsible here?? The parent who signed the form? The doctor who may not have caught a life threatening condition? The field where the incident took place? I submit that it may have been NONE OF THE ABOVE. In some cases there are freak accidents that occur and a human life is lost. Is it tragic? yes absolutely. It is preventable? I would say in some cases, no. In this child's case we certainly dont have all the facts yet and it may turn out to be something very much like that, just a horrible freak accident with a very sad ending. I was at Disney in 1998 when a guy died on Space Mountain. Word was that he stood up to get a better video of the ride. I dont think Space Mountain should be closed because one guy is an idiot!!! I am not 100% sure that idiocy played a part in the M:S case however. While I certainly do think this child's death is tragic and that M:S is certainly not for everyone, I dont believe the ride should be closed. I have been on MANY times will not one ill effect. Will I go on the next time I go?? Most likely unless I get sidetracked. Will I not go on for fear?? no absolutely not. Let us wait for a more conclusive statement from the Coroner and in the meantime pray for the little boy and his family who are going through so much suffering. Belle

CTXRover

I feel so badly for the family and child involved, that I hesitate to enter in the discussions of who or what is to blame.

The answer at this point, is we don't know. You can argue all you want, but it doesn't change the outcome.

For those who think the parents are to blame, that probably isn't the case. Unless the child had a pre-existing health condition that was aggravated by the ride, the parents would have no idea this would be the outcome, assuming the ride experience aggravated any condition to begin with. But we don't know that yet.

For those who are saying MS is a death trap. That is surely not the case. I'd give a totally random guess that 90% of the people who ride it have no ill effects. Besides my Dad, everyone I know or the strangers I've ridden with over the past 30+ times on the ride have never shown signs of being ill. The excitement from most getting off is all I usually hear. Surely some get sick just based on the very nature of the experience, but its not a death trap statistically.

This is a very unfortunate incident, and until more is known, personal feelings for or against the ride should not cloud people's judgements. The unfortunate truth is deaths on amusement/theme park rides are not something that only happened on Mission:Space. Deaths have happened on other rides all over the place, and most times the ride itself is not to blame. In September 2003, a young woman died while on The Incredible Hulk Coaster at IOA. She had a heart attack at age of 34. In September 2004, a 34 year old died after falling onto the track while trying to enter the vehicles on the Revenge of the Mummy coaster at USF. The man later died due to complication from hepatitis and the injuries sustained (the fall was actually the fault of the design of the loading station and they have tried to fix it with handlebars on the front of the ride vehicles). In 2001, a 28 year old woman died from a brain aneurysm on the Goliath coaster at Six Flags. In 1998, a woman also died from an aneurysm after riding the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland, etc., etc. Perhaps some of the thrill rides of today are pushing the envelope on what people can handle, but in most cases, 99% of riders have no problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom