Mission: Space tragedy

fiftiesdean

the reason you don't get really sick is the capsules are sealed off, there is no air or sound that tell you that you are moving in such a way. It's so smooth in acceleration/deceleration that your body can't tell. That's why they tell you to keep your head forward (it makes the illusion more real, and it keeps you from noticing you are spinning, the fluids in your body won't go to one side of your body/head this way), if you keep straight, you really can't tell you are spinning.

durangojim

Getting sick or nauseous is NOT the same as being injured. As far as I know this is the first time someone has been "injured" on this ride. As for being nauseous, go ask people how many times they've been sick on the teacups.

imagineer99

Shanice said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is NOT about the G forces. I rode the Hulk coaster 3 times in a row and loved it, but after M:S I felt sick for 3 hours and felt painful pressure on my heart. Everyone that I have talked to, even strangers at WDW all agreed that M:S made them extremely sick and they said they were the type of people who love rollercoasters. How many people need to get sick or injured on this ride before Disney realizes what a mistake it is?

Completely baseless comparison.

I've ridden M:S about ten times. Never felt an ill effect. It's a popular and thrilling addition to the park. You may not like it, but don't impose your point of view on others.

1disneydood

Shanice said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but it is NOT about the G forces. I rode the Hulk coaster 3 times in a row and loved it, but after M:S I felt sick for 3 hours and felt painful pressure on my heart. Everyone that I have talked to, even strangers at WDW all agreed that M:S made them extremely sick and they said they were the type of people who love rollercoasters. How many people need to get sick or injured on this ride before Disney realizes what a mistake it is?

I find M:S borderline lame. I looked sideways, up and down, and when the show said "nobody move!" I leaned forward. It's not the ride that makes peope sick. It's the people that get sick on certain rides. I bet there are many more people that feel nothing than people that can't handle it. Period.

Now let's get back to discussing good things at WDW and stop patheticly arguing on a very tragic death on a so called thrill ride. :mad:

DisneySaint

Shanice said:
Absolutely correct. I'm soooo sick of all the Disney fan boys on here that blame everyone and everything BUT Disney. Sorry fan boys but Disney's death trap of a ride is to blame here! I went on M:S last summer and it put so much pressure on my chest and heart that I felt that I was going to die right then and there. I was sick for 3 hours. I can't believe Disney would allow a ride like this to go on. It's reprehensible!

Give me a freaking break. Ignorance is bliss. You were warned yet you chose to go on the ride. You went on it anyway and you determined you don't like it - so now it should be shut down? What about the hundreds of thousands of people who do like it? Let's forget them because some tiny minority you're in ignored the warnings and got on the ride anyways and now you're screaming for the ride to get shut down. Seriously, give me a break.

Guess what - I'm sure some people find Haunted Mansion is too intense. Oh and Pirates, Spaceship Earth (it turns backwards!), Soarin, Body Wars, Star Tours, and several more. And don't get me started on the 3-D movies. Should all those be shut down too just because there's a small crowd who don't like them?

:brick:

imagineer99 said:
Completely baseless comparison.

I've ridden M:S about ten times. Never felt an ill effect. It's a popular and thrilling addition to the park. You may not like it, but don't impose your point of view on others.

^^ What he said. ^^

AndyP

Shanice said:

Read the thread again, I did not say sickness was related to the G forces, the sickness is due to disorientation of the brain recieving contradictory signals from the eyes, and that of the inner ear and systems in the body. G Forces were just a comparison that Mission space G forces are not even as high as those recieved on other attractions, the difference is that from the outside M:S does not look like a thrill attraction (the G forces are still significant). A roller coaster does sound intense, M:S doesn't and I was just making the remark that I believe Disney combats the anticipation of intensity well, its shows ample warnings. I know many people who have come off the Hulk with shock and headaches, shortness of breath. But you don't complain about that? M:S really isn't a mistake like you make out. (This is not mentioning the case of this family as I don't wish to make assumptions).

testtracker

dr_teeth90210 said:
If the imagineers intent of Mission Space was to bring excitement to Epcot, then congratulations... you succeeded.

Yes, but SHHHHHHHHHHHHH don't tell anyone, the imagineers created this ride so they could have the joy of killing a kid :mad: Just think how bad those guys must feel now

dr_teeth90210

DisneyJoey said:
Give me a freaking break. Ignorance is bliss. You were warned yet you chose to go on the ride. You went on it anyway and you determined you don't like it - so now it should be shut down? What about the hundreds of thousands of people who do like it? Let's forget them because some tiny minority you're in ignored the warnings and got on the ride anyways and now you're screaming for the ride to get shut down. Seriously, give me a break.

Guess what - I'm sure some people find Haunted Mansion is too intense. Oh and Pirates, Spaceship Earth (it turns backwards!), Soarin, Body Wars, Star Tours, and several more. And don't get me started on the 3-D movies. Should all those be shut down too just because there's a small crowd who don't like them?

:brick:

What he said

I think there's a difference between disliking an attraction as opposed to dying on one. A little boy is dead now because of this attraction.

Tink75

I just got back from a 12 day trip to WDW and on Sun a little boy(6-7ish?) who had been waiting in line and just seen Boba Fett passed out and hit the ground hard because it was so hot. I think sometimes when on a trip to WDW some parents tend to push children beyond their means they are not doing it on pourpose but they don't always realize kids can't do everything that adults can.

I have a 8 yr old and I let her ride MS and I will continue letting her ride it as it is one of her all time favorite rides. My 4 yr old nephew was with us on this trip and was just tall enough to ride it but we had told him he has to be 7 to ride it because a 4 yr old is not always capable of expressing what is wrong. My thoughts and prayers are with this family in this time of need.

labattpark

Having a 4 year old kid on this ride is just plain stupid. But I've seen it the last 2 times I was in FLA. I've seen kids too young going on rides too violent for them. But it seems parents are less sensitive to their kids' ability to cope with violence, these days. Mine was scared s...less of going in Jaws. So, I didn't force him into going thru some other rides. It seems some parents don't care.

4 years old is freaking young.

DisneySaint

dr_teeth90210 said:
I think there's a difference between disliking an attraction as opposed to dying on one. A little boy is dead now because of this attraction.

You DO NOT KNOW THAT. Prove it to me and to the world. In fact, call the Orange Country Sheriff because they don't even know that. Show me concrete evidence. An autopsy hasn't been conducted and the ride opened later that day because it was proven there were no mechanical failures. No one else has died or even become seriously ill on the ride. Again, this is ignorance at it's best. :brick:

inafog

I, too, feel very sorry for the family. Also horrified at the people blaming the mother and making blanket statements that no 4-year-old should be allowed on the ride. But then, I'm a firm believer that people have to do what works for their own family. My DH, for example, believes that no one could ever get sick on M:S; he finds it very tame and feels the same way about ToT. I was disoriented and felt weird all day after M:S, so I don't ride it any more. I also find ToT terrifying (physically, not theme-wise). My DS is 6 now and has just hit the 44" mark; if he wants to ride it I'll let him. When he was 4...I'm not sure. DS was not very adventurous and would not have wanted to ride it. But my choice about that would not make this family's choices invalid or wrong, just different.

Now, why are we playing the blame game? In a nutshell: sometimes bad things happen randomly, and we all need to assert control over an uncertain world. So if it's someone's fault, that bad thing can never happen to us. If everything scary and unexpected that ever happens is someone's fault, that makes the rest of us safe.

We don't know what happened. Until we have more information, I think it is unwise to say the least for us to cast blame on anyone.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
An autopsy has been performed, but they found no clear reason for his death. They are going to run more tests but there may not be results for several months.

lawyergirl77

dr_teeth90210 said:
I'm not sure I follow your causation argument... "because" is a pretty loaded word right now given the fact that there is no real evidence available for either side yet.

I stand corrected with respect to the third point in my previous post (re: closing this thread). The level of discussion has become incredibly poor and the debate has become irredeemably circular. It's pretty unfortunate...

labattpark

inafog said:
I, too, feel very sorry for the family. Also horrified at the people blaming the mother and making blanket statements that no 4-year-old should be allowed on the ride. But then, I'm a firm believer that people have to do what works for their own family. My DH, for example, believes that no one could ever get sick on M:S; he finds it very tame and feels the same way about ToT. I was disoriented and felt weird all day after M:S, so I don't ride it any more. I also find ToT terrifying (physically, not theme-wise). My DS is 6 now and has just hit the 44" mark; if he wants to ride it I'll let him. When he was 4...I'm not sure. DS was not very adventurous and would not have wanted to ride it. But my choice about that would not make this family's choices invalid or wrong, just different.

Now, why are we playing the blame game? In a nutshell: sometimes bad things happen randomly, and we all need to assert control over an uncertain world. So if it's someone's fault, that bad thing can never happen to us. If everything scary and unexpected that ever happens is someone's fault, that makes the rest of us safe.

We don't know what happened. Until we have more information, I think it is unwise to say the least for us to cast blame on anyone.

Why playing the game? Because 4 IS too young to ride M: S. Just like it's too young to go into Spider-Man. Just like it's too young to experience violence. Just like it's too young to go into violent and "thrilling" rides.

That's why theme parks around the world have sections for kids 4 years old. It's called family rides. It's lame for adults, but perfect for 4 year old kids.

Sometimes, parents have difficulty judging their kids' level of tolerance. I've been guilty of that at Universal with my son. Had my kid died of a heart attack, I would have believed it was because I took a rather stupid decision by bringing him in the ride.

DisneySaint

MrNonacho said:
An autopsy has been performed, but they found no clear reason for his death. They are going to run more tests but there may not be results for several months.

Irregardless, it's ignorant to make a blanket, blunt statment that "the ride killed him." Like Steve said earlier, Body Wars, Pirates, etc. didn't "kill" those other people. People die of natural causes.

dr_teeth90210

lawyergirl77 said:
I'm not sure I follow your causation argument... "because" is a pretty loaded word right now given the fact that there is no real evidence available for either side yet.

I stand corrected with respect to the third point in my previous post (re: closing this thread). The level of discussion has become incredibly poor and the debate has become irredeemably circular. It's pretty unfortunate...

I like the fact that you have the word "lawyer" in your name. As if anyone gives a d@mn.

lawyergirl77

dr_teeth90210 said:
I like the fact that you have the word "lawyer" in your name. As if anyone gives a d@mn.
Your post insulting me seemed unnecessary... Should you really feel the need to fling insults, feel free to PM me. Why drag the level of debate down further over in a thread about the tragedy that has already been mired in such senselessness?

Topic? I would also be in favour of age-based ratings on rides. I think it's the best all-around solution. Height restrictions are based on a very important safety consideration, but I don't think that it is the only relevant factor when it comes time for a parent to use their discretion with respect to what a child should and should not ride.

The more information at a guest's disposal, the better!! Hopefully that way, unbelievably tragic events such as this may be avoided even further.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom