Mission: Space tragedy

conntom

Headline
Boy 4 Dies After Riding EPCOT Attraction

(AP) A caution sign alerts guests at Walt Disney World's "Mission:Space," that they may experience...
Full Image

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) - A 4-year-old boy died after passing out aboard Walt Disney World's "Mission: Space," a ride so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

Daudi Bamuwamye passed out Monday afternoon on the attraction, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars. The Orange County Sheriff's Office said his mother carried him off the ride and employees helped her place him on a bench.

Paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at Celebration Hospital.

The sheriff's office said the boy met the minimum 44-inch height requirement for the ride at the Epcot theme park, which uses centrifugal force to simulate twice the normal force of gravity.

An autopsy was expected Tuesday to determine the cause of the boy's death.

Officials said the boy from Sellersville, Pa., was on the ride with his mother, Agnes, and a sister.

During the ride, the mother noticed that Daudi's body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought he was frightened so she took his hand.

"When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive in his seat," according to a sheriff's office report.

The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but was reopened Tuesday after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally.

In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride.

During an eight-month period in 2003-04, six people over age 55 were taken to hospitals for treatment of chest pain and nausea after riding "Mission: Space," though none of them was found to have any serious problem.

At that time, it was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report such problems to the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Updated figures were not immediately available.

One other death was reported at Disney World this year. A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Magic Kingdom. A medical examiner's report said her death "was not unexpected."

Signs warn visitors about the intensity of the "Mission: Space" ride.

"For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure," one sign on view last year said. Signs also warn pregnant women not to go on the ride.

Florida's major parks are not directly regulated by the Department of Agriculture; state law exempts large, permanent amusement parks that have their own inspectors from state oversight. But the parks agreed to share safety information in 2001.

Disney officials said in a statement after the boy's death that they were "providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time."

You can find the story on iwon.com

jcat2312

dr_teeth90210 said:
*** Bring on the flames, but I hope Disney gets sued. WDW is about family rides... and the reason why Walt built Disneyland was so that families could enjoy attractions together.

The very premise of Mission Space alienates 50% of visitors to Epcot. The only good thing that might come out of this very unfortunate incident is Disney might rethink building rides that just target the teeny-boppin', adrenaline junkie demographic and focus more on why people come to Disney in the first place, imaginative, family-oriented rides.

If that is the case, then they might as well take out the following rides: Space Mountain, BTMR, Splash Mountain, Soarin, ToT, RnR Coaster, Dinosaur, and Primalwhirl...

Do you actually think that just tenny-boppers enjoy these rides? I know of many adults that love these rides.

In this day and age, a theme park full of "G" rated rides would not be successful.

KingStefan

dr_teeth90210 said:
*** Bring on the flames, but I hope Disney gets sued. WDW is about family rides... and the reason why Walt built Disneyland was so that families could enjoy attractions together.

The very premise of Mission Space alienates 50% of visitors to Epcot. The only good thing that might come out of this very unfortunate incident is Disney might rethink building rides that just target the teeny-boppin', adrenaline junkie demographic and focus more on why people come to Disney in the first place, imaginative, family-oriented rides.
I think that M:S is a WONDERFUL family ride. My DW and I and DDs 11 and 7 went on and really enjoyed "working as a team to make the mission a success". It was especially fun the second time when we all weren't so scared, and could play with the buttons and switches more and pretend we were really on a spaceship. So your argument doesn't hold water.

Anyway, even if it did, you're indeed out of your mind, as jaymatal said, for wanting Disney to get sued to support YOUR philosophy. If they did get sued, it would be about the boys family, not about YOU.

Anyway, I hope Disney takes care of the family in a big way even without admitting guilt. Things like that are what has made Disney great.

jcat2312 said:
If that is the case, then they might as well take out the following rides: Space Mountain, BTMR, Splash Mountain, Soarin, ToT, RnR Coaster, Dinosaur, and Primalwhirl...

Do you actually think that just tenny-boppers enjoy these rides? I know of many adults that love these rides.

In this day and age, a theme park full of "G" rated rides would not be successful.

Isn't one Disney's goals is to have something for everyone???

dr_teeth90210

jcat2312 said:

I'm not saying all rides should be G-rated... I just think that Disney crossed the line with Mission Space. You can still make family, thrill rides. That's exactly what Walt did when he built the Matterhorn in 1959. He built a rollercoaster that was well themed and fun for the majority of visitors to Disneyland. Thunder Mountain and Space mountain are also in the same vein as a "family thrill ride".

SirNim

One of the inherent problems with M:S, indeed why so many people use the "families should be able to enjoy attractions together" line of thinking, is that a family-oriented attraction was replaced by a polarizing thrill attraction. I hardly think that there would be many complaints about M:S had it been built as an addition, not as a replacement. This is, of course, irrelevant when juxtaposed with what has transpired there within the day.

jcat2312

Gepettotrevor said:
Isn't one Disney's goals is to have something for everyone???

I totally agree with that. They have rides/attractions for every age demographic. All I am saying is that Theme Parks need the "Big" rides now, since most of the population that visits, want big fast rides.

I am also not saying that a park full of big rides would be a good thing. I would not like that...

SpongeScott

dr_teeth90210 said:
I'm not saying all rides should be G-rated... I just think that Disney crossed the line with Mission Space. You can still make family, thrill rides. That's exactly what Walt did when he built the Matterhorn in 1959. He built a rollercoaster that was well themed and fun for the majority of visitors to Disneyland. Thunder Mountain and Space mountain are also in the same vein as a "family thrill ride".
I would get sicker on the Matterhorn than M:S.

Try a different argument.

stingrock23

There's no way a 4 year old should have been on this ride. I place the blame with the parent on this one. It is sad, but this is something that could have and should have been prevented by the parent.

TheOneVader

jcat2312 said:

I hardly think Soarin' should be on that list. It isn't intense at all. Not only does my mom hate Space Mtn, BTMRR, Splash, RnRC, Dinosaur, and Primevalwhirl, but she's also TERRIFIED of heights. That being said, she loves Soarin'. In other words, if my mom can ride it, it isn't that bad.

Neptune

dr_teeth90210 said:

Disney, I can guarentee will not get sued. They have warning signs all over the place. Saying that anyone with a history of medical problem shouldnt ride. It is the parents fault, and responsibility, to let the child on the ride. Disney does not force you to go on your ride, and it is YOUR responsibility if you have a sickness to choose to ride or not, and if you do, its your own risk.

As for the "Wild" Rides, Disney is meant for everyone. You say disney should be more family oriented....well, alot of families have kids older than 10 years old that like more than "Snow White's Adventure" And "Peter Pan's Flight". They would lose ALOT of money if they got Rid of Tower of Terror, RnR, Test Track, etc.

If you want totally family oriented ride park, go to Dorney Park, or Sesame place. If you can't handle M:S, You have 2 options...

1. Ride it, and Get sick
2. Dont ride it, And skip it and go on SSE or UoE instead

Not that hard. Stop Blaming Disney.

MKCustodial

violet_yoshi said:
They did a parody of her on The Simpsons, when they went to Brazil. Bart turned on the Xuxa show, which was like Sesame Street but with Xuxa dressed like a vegas show girl. They didn't use her actual name of course, cuz that'd be grounds for a law suit. It was funny though cuz Bart's oggling her and Marge is like "What kind of kids' show is that?! Turn it off!"

Yeah, I saw that... In all the exageration, and besides the wild animals and such, it was a pretty fair description. Specially the kid show. :lol:

And also, to all the "heartless" comments out there, I'd like to pose a question. I'm not trying to start a war, it's just something that crossed my mind. Ok, we're all here, in a Disney forum on the Internet, discussing the death of a 4 year old boy in an attraction at a Disney theme park. Although very sad for the family involved, and probably a shocking experience for the CMs and Guests involved, why is it that we, who in the majority are miles and miles away from the scene and had no contact whatsoever with the scene or the family, cannot discuss this in a level-headed manner. I mean, we are here to find out about what happened, correct? So an obvious step would be to come up with plausible scenarios that may caused this accident. And some of those scenarios include a pre-existing condition the boy may have had and a possible carelessness from the parents for a) knowing about that and still letting him ride; or b) knowing he was healthy but still letting a 4 year old ride a 2G and weightlessness simulator attraction.
Is it a sad event? Yes. But I don't see how discussing it makes us evil in any way. I've had accidents happen to people close to me and still I was able to call them on it if it was their fault. Heck, I did it to myself just yesterday on another thread.
I mean, I don't think any of his relatives would be surfing a DIsney board right now, and if someone here is close to the family, I'm sorry for their loss, but I still don't see nothing wrong in discussing what happened openly.

Gucci65

Here is part of an email where I was talking to Wckd Queen about this horrible event:

When we went to WDW in December 2003 with our friends who have four kids. They ALL rode MS. Major Pane was only 4 yrs old (but a tall kid) and rode it with no problems. His Dad explained about 10 million times
for the Major (that's my pet name for him) to NOT look around only at the screen. I rode with the Dad, the Major and Summer who was 6. Everyone was fine. THESE are also kids who undergo physicals every year because
of the sports they play (baseball/softball/cheerleading).

If Lindsay had been 4 yrs old when this ride came out AND met the height requirement then yes Lisa I would have let her ride. My kid is a daredevil and was chomping at the bit to get on the coasters. MS would have been like
a consolation prize since at 44 inches she would not have been tall enough for coasters. You have to know your own child. Lindsay started gymnastics at the ripe old age of 3 1/2 and to me was in very good physical condition. I don't think the mother should be blasted for allowing her child to ride. I did read the boards a few mins ago and of course am not surprised at folks blaming the mother for letting him ride. I agree with the one guy, you have to live. If you are afraid of everything you might as well stay indoors. Knowing the risks of MS and reading the multiple warnings, the woman
decided everything was okay. My Dad has stint in his heart, we talked to his cardiologist before riding MS in 2003 about the G's we would be pulling to make sure they would not remove his stint. The dr assured us everything would be fine. He had a checkup 3 mos after returning and everything was fine.

Just my additional 2 cents on youngs kids and older folks riding MS.

Again, what a horrible incident. I can't even begin to imagine what this family is going through.

shoppingnut

While this is very sad and I feel for the family, in MY OPINION, a 4 yr old shouldn't be on this ride. I am not being insensitive to the parents, but expressing my opinion on the subject.

I have gone on once and followed all the instructions and still was very sick when I got off. When we go this summer with my 4 yr old niece, I can tell you that she won't be riding M:S, nor will my 10 yr old nephew (he gets motion sick easily). She is a daredevil, but someone has to be the voice of reason. Just because a child whines to get on the ride doesn't mean you should let them. I wouldn't care if they were screaming their head off, you have to decide what is right. Unfortunately too many people these days give kids everything they want whether it is good or bad for them, it used to be when mom said no, that was it, end of discussion.

Irrawaddy Erik

TheOneVader said:
I hardly think Soarin' should be on that list. It isn't intense at all. Not only does my mom hate Space Mtn, BTMRR, Splash, RnRC, Dinosaur, and Primevalwhirl, but she's also TERRIFIED of heights. That being said, she loves Soarin'. In other words, if my mom can ride it, it isn't that bad.
But that is for one individual. I've been on Soarin' and seen someone freak. In this day of litigation, no one can be complacent. If Disney feels like there is a problem then they will slap a warning on it just to cover their behinds.

Neptune

Shoppingnut said:
Just because a child whines to get on the ride doesn't mean you should let them.

Exactly. Thats why the CM's are rough, not letting kids under the height restrictment go on. For their safety. They dont let in, Like some parents do.

I do feel for the family though, and my prayers are out there. Funny, I was wearing a M:S Shirt the day it happened.

CrisKennedy

tigsmom said:
I she still around? I remember when her show was shown here... marketed to kids, but not very kid friendly. :lookaroun

This is just my opinion, but I personally, would not take a 4 y/o on that ride.

I totally agree with you. My husband and I love thrill rides like M:S, but we will NEVER consider allowing our son to ride them when he's 4 y/o. Of course, the only theme parks we're considering taking him to when he's 4 is Legoland in CA or Sesame Place in PA - theme parks that actually geared more towards toddlers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom