Mission: Space tragedy

pinjim

The latest from AP...

Here's the latest news report from the Associated Press (appx. 12:15 p.m. EST):

4-year-old boy dies after riding Epcot’s ’Mission: Space’; intense ride simulates space launch

By MIKE SCHNEIDER
Associated Press Writer
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — A 4-year-old boy died after passing out aboard Walt Disney World’s “Mission: Space,” a ride so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.
Daudi Bamuwamye passed out Monday afternoon on the attraction, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars. The Orange County Sheriff’s Office said his mother carried him off the ride and employees helped her place him on a bench.
Paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at Celebration Hospital.
The sheriff’s office said the boy met the minimum 44-inch height requirement for the ride at the Epcot theme park, which uses centrifugal force to simulate twice the normal force of gravity.
An autopsy was expected Tuesday to determine the cause of the boy’s death.
Officials said the boy from Sellersville, Pa., was on the ride with his mother, Agnes, and a sister.
During the ride, the mother noticed that Daudi’s body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought he was frightened so she took his hand.
“When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive in his seat,” according to a sheriff’s office report.
The $100 million ride was closed after the death but was reopened Tuesday after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally.
In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride.
During an eight-month period in 2003-04, six people over age 55 were taken to hospitals for treatment of chest pain and nausea after riding “Mission: Space,” though none of them was found to have any serious problem.
At that time, it was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida’s major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report such problems to the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Updated figures were not immediately available.
One other death was reported at Disney World this year. A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Magic Kingdom. A medical examiner’s report said her death “was not unexpected.”
Signs warn visitors about the intensity of the “Mission: Space” ride.
“For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure,” one sign on view last year said. Signs also warn pregnant women not to go on the ride.
Florida’s major parks are not directly regulated by the Department of Agriculture; state law exempts large, permanent amusement parks that have their own inspectors from state oversight. The parks agreed to share safety information in 2001.
Disney officials said in a statement after the boy’s death that they were “providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time.”

agdbeanie

Fyi

Here's the article from the AP that was in our local paper. It seams to have a good amount of details.

4-year-old boy dies after riding Epcot's 'Mission: Space'

MIKE SCHNEIDER

Associated Press

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - A 4-year-old boy died after passing out aboard Walt Disney World's "Mission: Space," a ride so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

Daudi Bamuwamye, of Sellersville, Pa., passed out Monday afternoon while on the attraction, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars. The Orange County Sheriff's Office said his mother, Agnes, who was on the ride with Daudi and his sister, carried him off the ride and employees helped her place him on a bench.

Paramedics and a Disney worker tried to revive him, but he died about 5 p.m. at Celebration Hospital.

The sheriff's office said the boy did meet the ride's minimum 44-inch height limit.

The boy's family had an unlisted telephone number in Pennsylvania. A cause of death could not be immediately determined and an autopsy was expected Tuesday.

During the ride, the boy's mother noticed that Daudi's body was rigid and that his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought the ride was frightening him so she took his hand to reassure him.

"When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive in his seat," according to a sheriff's office report.

Disney officials in a statement said that they are providing support to the family and "are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time." The ride was closed after the death but reopened Tuesday after Disney World engineers determined that the ride was operating normally.

"The safety of our guests and cast remains our top priority," the statement said.

Since the ride opened in 2003, seven people have been taken to the hospital for chest pains, fainting or nausea after riding Mission: Space, a $100 million attraction that is one of Disney World's most popular. That is the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious injuries to the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The most recent case was last summer when a 40-year-old woman was taken to a hospital after fainting.

One other death was reported at Disney World this year. Gloria Land, 77, of St. Paul, Minn., who was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes, lost consciousness in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Magic Kingdom. She was pronounced dead at a hospital.

"The death was not unexpected," the medical examiner's report said.

Although the state reports showed no major injuries or illnesses from Mission: Space before Monday, the hospital visits came up last year in discussions with state officials who consult annually with park officials about safety.

The centrifuge ride recreates the experience of a rocket blasting off. A clock counts down and the engines roar to life with a blast of noise and smoke and flame. Lift off G-forces - just over twice the normal force of gravity - cause short-lived facial distortions.

"Two Gs is not that big a deal," said Houston-based theme park consultant Randy King, a former safety director at Six Flags, which operates 30 amusement parks.

Warning signs advise pregnant women not to go on the ride, caution about motion sickness and ban children shorter than 44 inches. An audio recording and a video also warn riders of the risks.

In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride.

The state's major parks are not directly regulated by the Department of Agriculture; Florida law exempts large, permanent amusement parks that have their own safety inspectors from state oversight. But the parks agreed to share safety information in 2001.

Other states, such as California, home to Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure, are regulated by the state.

King said the state or an independent inspector - not the park - should decide whether a ride involved in a death is reopened.

"The biggest concern in Florida is that there is no oversight," King said. "No doubt Disney has experts that are very familiar with how the rides should run. But in a case when someone is injured or killed, it just makes sense for a third party unrelated to Disney ... to say 'Hey, this ride is OK. Let's reopen it.'"

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Millions of people have ridden this ride by now (including other 4-year-olds, no doubt), and as far as I know, this is the first death. How can one not assume that the child had a preexisting condition? Something about him must have been different since the ride did not directly cause the death (like the BTMRR accident).

KingStefan

chancellor said:
I hope nothing I posted led anyone to believe I was pointing fingers or blaming anyone for this. I agree that this is a horrible tragedy no matter who, if anybody, is at fault. I cannot imagine what this family is going through, as I mentioned, I have small kids myself.

That said, this is a Disney World discussion forum, and I see nothing wrong with discussing why this accident happened or what the ramifications of it might be. I don't think that makes any of us heartless.
No, not you. But there are others who have said terribly insensitive things like "I have to put most of the blame with the parents", and "I certainly wouldn't let a 4 year old on MS", and "there's no way the parents should have let a four-year-old on this ride (paraphrased)", etc. Shameless. You know who you are. Some have taken an attitude like they are omniscient when we have no idea what happened yet. Also shameless.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

TiggerificChick

Look, i want to express my condolences to the family. But i too am wondering why anyone would take a 4 year old child on a ride this intense. Someone before was talking about a language barrier but common sense would tell you that all the signs and screens and times they stop to talk to you and tell you things and the instructional video would tell you something. My sister is 4 years old and over my dead body would i take her on that ride. Even if i have to put up with her yelling about how much she wants to go and such, its a sacrifice i am willing to take. Children, and i mean ALL children, are prone to defy authority. You say left and they say right. Whats to say the kid didnt say,"Hey i wonder what will happen if i turn my head or close my eyes?" What if they got scarred and closed their eyes? You have to take all of this into consideration. I HATE having to be the voice of reason in my family. My aunt for one NEVER bothers about the warnings, even with her heart problems. She'll go on all of the thrill rides and you dont know how scared it makes me! One time we went on the hulk, even after i BEGGED her not to and when the ride ended i didnt see her move or say anything. It scared me half to death!!! I dont know what else disney can do to keep guests safe, but i personally dont believe any of this is their faults. If anyone is upset by this post, i would like you to know that i am not doing it to personally ofend the family or to post blame on them. But this website was created to express your opinions on certain matters and this is my opinion on this particular one!!!

Also, i found this on the following website:

http://www.local10.com/news/4605237/detail.html

Riders Have Been Hospitalized Before
During an eight-month period that ended last year, six people over age 55 were taken to the hospital for chest pain and nausea after riding Mission: SPACE, a $100 million attaction that is one of Disney World's most popular. It was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious injuries to the state.

Updated figures were not immediately available. Although the 2004 reports showed no major injuries or illnesses from Mission: SPACE, the hospital visits came up in discussions with state officials who consult annually with park officials about safety.

Mission: SPACE opened in October 2003.

Make of it what you will.

peter11435

TiggerificChick said:
Look, i want to express my condolences to the family. But i too am wondering why anyone would take a 4 year old child on a ride this intense. Someone before was talking about a language barrier but common sense would tell you that all the signs and screens and times they stop to talk to you and tell you things and the instructional video would tell you something. My sister is 4 years old and over my dead body would i take her on that ride. Even if i have to put up with her yelling about how much she wants to go and such, its a sacrifice i am willing to take. Children, and i mean ALL children, are prone to defy authority. You say left and they say right. Whats to say the kid didnt say,"Hey i wonder what will happen if i turn my head or close my eyes?" What if they got scarred and closed their eyes? You have to take all of this into consideration. I HATE having to be the voice of reason in my family. My aunt for one NEVER bothers about the warnings, even with her heart problems. She'll go on all of the thrill rides and you dont know how scared it makes me! One time we went on the hulk, even after i BEGGED her not to and when the ride ended i didnt see her move or say anything. It scared me half to death!!! I dont know what else disney can do to keep guests safe, but i personally dont believe any of this is their faults. If anyone is upset by this post, i would like you to know that i am not doing it to personally ofend the family or to post blame on them. But this website was created to express your opinions on certain matters and this is my opinion on this particular one!!!

During an eight-month period that ended last year, six people over age 55 were taken to the hospital for chest pain and nausea after riding Mission: SPACE, a $100 million attaction that is one of Disney World's most popular. It was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report any serious injuries to the state.

Updated figures were not immediately available. Although the 2004 reports showed no major injuries or illnesses from Mission: SPACE, the hospital visits came up in discussions with state officials who consult annually with park officials about safety.

The problem is that while 8 may have needed to be taken to the hospital millions have ridden the attraction with no problems. I would be willin to bet that no less than 4-5 people a year are taken to the hospital after riding the monorail. With the number of people that are at Disney things happen. Like one of the Imagineers said, at Disney you can't say there is a one in a million chance of something going wrong, if thats the case something will go wrong a dozen times a year.

Iakona

EchoOfOphelia said:
I find it a little presumptious to automatically think that the parents would purposely put their child on this ride when he may have had a pre-existing condition. It may have been something they hadn't discovered yet, and what a horrible way to find out.

First, my heart goes out to the family of this little boy. I can't even imagine something like this happening to my son without getting teary so I can't even come close to knowing what they are going through.

As for the comments regarding a pre-existing condition I think what most people are assuming is an undiagnosed pre-existing condition. An example of this would be what happened to Teddy Bruschi of the NE Patriots.
At this point there is no indication that the ride malfunctioned or that the parents knew that there was a possibility of any danger to their child.

Raven66

I have read every post and all I have to say is..........my heart is breaking for that mother and family. My dd is 8, we were on Space Mountain and she was two seats in front of me, my dad and sister were between us. I did that because my dad has long arms and if she got scared he could touch her shoulder, any way, I heard her scream and I went into a full blown panic attack. That ride couldn't get over fast enough. She was alright, it was me but I'm wondering if the little boy maybe had a panic attack that turned into a seizure. I read where the mother said his legs were stuck straight out and he was stiff, and that sort of sounds like a seizure. My dd did go on it when she was 5 and did great.

Whoever suggested hugging your kid today, I did. Of course she looked at me like I was crazy until I explained what happen.

corran horn

TiggerificChick said:

Here's the analogous paragraph from the CNN report...

During an eight-month period in 2003-04, six people over age 55 were taken to hospitals for treatment of chest pain and nausea after riding "Mission: Space," though none of them was found to have any serious problem.

(above emphasis mine)

I think we can all agree this ride is not for the faint of...well...anything. It's not for everybody. It is *certainly* not for a 4-year-old, IMHO. Obviously, the parents are not 'to blame' in this situation. Neither is Disney. It's an unfortunate occurrence. It happens sometimes, sadly. :(

TiggerificChick

peter11435 said:
The problem is that while 8 may have needed to be taken to the hospital millions have ridden the attraction with no problems. I would be willin to bet that no less than 4-5 people a year are taken to the hospital after riding the monorail. With the number of people that are at Disney things happen. Like one of the Imagineers said, at Disney you can't say there is a one in a million chance of something going wrong, if thats the case something will go wrong a dozen times a year.

I couldn't agree with you more.I just thought it was an interesting tidbit. Things are bound to happen no matter where you are. I think that the safety measures taken are great considering that only a handful of people out of millions get injured each year.

dr_teeth90210

*** Bring on the flames, but I hope Disney gets sued. WDW is about family rides... and the reason why Walt built Disneyland was so that families could enjoy attractions together.

The very premise of Mission Space alienates 50% of visitors to Epcot. The only good thing that might come out of this very unfortunate incident is Disney might rethink building rides that just target the teeny-boppin', adrenaline junkie demographic and focus more on why people come to Disney in the first place, imaginative, family-oriented rides.

KingStefan

TiggerificChick said:
You have every right to express your opinion. And you have every right to exercise control over your own child. But, as long as someone is adhering to socially acceptable standards (as would not be the case with severe beatings, for example), you have no right to pass judgement on what someone else allows or does not allow his or her child to do. Especially in this case when the child met the height restriction imposed.

And it is expecially insensitive for you (and others) to be criticizing and judging this mother in her time of terrible loss. Insensitive under any conditions, but especially when we have so little information about what happened. And I, for one, am deeply offended by the actions of those who do.

Jekyll

Hey Folks I read about it on CNN and came here right away. CNN is making disney out to be the good guys saying the company is doing everything in its power to help the family through this crisis. Also they seem to be reporting that it was not due to the ride. THe ride seemed to be a catalist to a condition that already exsisted.
My prayers to the family and cast members who were working Mission Space at the time. My heart is with you all.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
dr_teeth90210 said:
*** Bring on the flames, but I hope Disney gets sued. WDW is about family rides... and the reason why Walt built Disneyland was so that families could enjoy attractions together.

You hope the company gets sued because you don't like the ride?

jaymatal

dr_teeth90210 said:

The very premise of Mission Space alienates 50% of visitors to Epcot. The only good thing that might come out of this very unfortunate incident is Disney might rethink building rides that just target the teeny-boppin', adrenaline junkie demographic and focus more on why people come to Disney in the first place, imaginative, family-oriented rides.

You're out of your mind.

KingStefan

TiggerificChick said:
...Also, i found this on the following website:

Furthermore, regarding the presses treatment of this:

This is a good example of how journalism can be sensationalist without misstating the facts, and yet still make it easy to be mislead.

There were six hospital visits in an eight-month period, which, granted, was a record, but none of them was found to have any serious injury. The article does not say that they were otherwise healthy. These people visited the hospital because they had “chest pain and nausea”, but it doesn’t say how many had which symptom. This ride makes some people nauseous. Chest pain can be (and most often is) caused by indigestion or anxiety, both of which I can see could be easily caused by this ride. However, it is better to be safe than sorry if you have chest pains and are over 55 years old, thus the hospital visits, which were no doubt encouraged by the Disney staff, showing both a level of concern and responsibility. The people were not found to have any serious injury, so I presume it was not a heart problem. Now, I don’t know how many other incidents there were outside these eight months, but I presume it was fewer, since otherwise this period would not have been a record. And reporting has only been taking place since 2001. There may have been other worse records before then.

As benign as the presses treatment of this is at first glance, enough people on this and other forums have blown it so far out of preportion, that I believe it is misleading, and therefore irresponsible journalism.

ssidiouss@mac.c

dr_teeth90210 said:

Well families grow up.. if Disney used this excsuse to just make kiddie rides and stop making more "intense" rides for us more mature people then I would definately being doing more of Universal and SeaWorld then DisneyWorld in the future. :fork:

TiggerificChick

I dont think they should or will be sued because they are still doing everything they can to help the family out and keep their guests safe. Also there are plenty of family rides and while a few more would be a good thing, everyone wants to get their thrill on every once in a while and lets remember that however unfortuate it may be, the world revolves around greed and money and how much or it we can make. Besides, Thrill rides arent that bad as long as you take the right safety measures to keep guests safe and i am sure that there is not one person who doesnt love most of the thrill rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom