Mission: Space tragedy

MKCustodial

MissionSpaceFan said:
Exactly. Thats why the CM's are rough, not letting kids under the height restrictment go on. For their safety. They dont let in, Like some parents do.

We also have to acknowledge that some parents will stuff napkins or other things in their kids shoes so that they appear taller in order to ride a particular attraction. For all we know, this could've happened here as well.

andresmatamoros

I Have To Say This!!!

Sorry but I totally disagreed with those people who are blaming the parents!!! Disney has no prohibition about age just about height and according to all the news infromation we got it indicates the boy has the height requierement so if I, as father, and not knowing anything about the ride and my boy has the height that Disney indicates as apropiate I put my son on that ride without thinking it twice, so when the day comes that Disney ALSO indicates a age to ride we can start blaming on the parents!!!

Snapper Bean

Let me see if I understand the "bad parent" analysis on the board. Disney posts a 44 inch height requirement but parents are supposed to figure out that Disney really don't mean it, a child who is 44 inches tall really isn't supposed to go on the ride. Everyone should try to figure out the "real" height requirement based on their own personal technical analysis of the ride schematics.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Imagineermole

Although Mission Space is a rough ride, it is no rougher then a roller coaster. In addition I feel safer on a Disney ride then the rides at the amusement parks near my house. I also agree this ride is very intense and I would not let anyone under the age of 7 on it because of how intense the ride is.

My heart goes out to the family of the 4 year old.

jcat2312

My daughter who will soon be 5 loves thrill rides. Her favorite ride at fairs is "Tilter Whirl" and is mad if it doesn't spin out ot of control the whole time.

The ride she is looking forward to the most at WDW is ToT.

Even though, she is over the height requirement for MS, I don't think she could handle what the ride would do to her.

Parents, as a whole, need to be careful what rides their children ride. Just because the children may be tall enough for a certain ride, it doesn't mean they should go on....

Snapper Bean said:
Let me see if I understand the "bad parent" analysis on the board. Disney posts a 44 inch height requirement but parents are supposed to figure out that Disney really don't mean it, a child who is 44 inches tall really isn't supposed to go on the ride. Everyone should try to figure out the "real" height requirement based on their own personal technical analysis of the ride schematics.

well said! :D

Snapper Bean

MKCustodial said:
We also have to acknowledge that some parents will stuff napkins or other things in their kids shoes so that they appear taller in order to ride a particular attraction. For all we know, this could've happened here as well.

Right because when the Sheriff's department announced that the boy satisfied the height requirement they missed the inches of stuffed napkins in the boys shoes.

righttrack

jcat2312 said:
Even though, she is over the height requirement for MS, I don't think she could handle what the ride would do to her.

Parents, as a whole, need to be careful what rides their children ride. Just because the children may be tall enough for a certain ride, it doesn't mean they should go on....

I couldn't agree with you more. Key to M:S is the ability to follow instructions when fear would tell them different. If the kid is going to close his/her eyes the whole time, then this ride is going to be unpleasant, period. If you have a child who wants to go on this, meets the height requirement, then yes, you have to ask yourself, "will my kid look at the screen?". If not, then don't set them up for an unpleasant experience.

Neptune

andresmatamoros said:
Sorry but I totally disagreed with those people who are blaming the parents!!! Disney has no prohibition about age just about height and according to all the news infromation we got it indicates the boy has the height requierement so if I, as father, and not knowing anything about the ride and my boy has the height that Disney indicates as apropiate I put my son on that ride without thinking it twice, so when the day comes that Disney ALSO indicates a age to ride we can start blaming on the parents!!!

This boy was also autistic and had a series of medical problems. THATS why we should blame them.

TheOneVader

I think that neither Disney nor the parents should be to blame. Did Disney know he was going to die on the attraction? No. Did the parents? No. If you ask me, it's no one's fault.

S_Grise

dr_teeth90210 said:
I'm not saying all rides should be G-rated... I just think that Disney crossed the line with Mission Space. You can still make family, thrill rides. That's exactly what Walt did when he built the Matterhorn in 1959. He built a rollercoaster that was well themed and fun for the majority of visitors to Disneyland.
Um...I believe people have died on that ride as well.

andresmatamoros

righttrack said:
I couldn't agree with you more. Key to M:S is the ability to follow instructions when fear would tell them different. If the kid is going to close his/her eyes the whole time, then this ride is going to be unpleasant, period. If you have a child who wants to go on this, meets the height requirement, then yes, you have to ask yourself, "will my kid look at the screen?". If not, then don't set them up for an unpleasant experience.

I am sorry but this kind of logic can only work for you people that has been on this ride hundreds of times but normal people on their first time on WDW has no way on knowing this so they just follow the height requieremnts to know if their kids can ride an atraction.

MKCustodial

Snapper Bean said:
Right because when the Sheriff's department announced that the boy satisfied the height requirement they missed the inches of stuffed napkins in the boys shoes.

I'm just saying. They could've said he met the height requirements because he was allowed into the attraction.

And quite frankly, I agree with jcat2312. My child is my child. I'll be the one deciding what he can and cannot experience, not the sign with the height requirements and certainly not his whining.

In any event, let's not turn this into a flame war, please. We were all having a very good discussion.

Gucci65

shoppingnut said:
While this is very sad and I feel for the family, in MY OPINION, a 4 yr old shouldn't be on this ride. I am not being insensitive to the parents, but expressing my opinion on the subject.

I have gone on once and followed all the instructions and still was very sick when I got off. When we go this summer with my 4 yr old niece, I can tell you that she won't be riding M:S, nor will my 10 yr old nephew (he gets motion sick easily). She is a daredevil, but someone has to be the voice of reason. Just because a child whines to get on the ride doesn't mean you should let them. I wouldn't care if they were screaming their head off, you have to decide what is right. Unfortunately too many people these days give kids everything they want whether it is good or bad for them, it used to be when mom said no, that was it, end of discussion.

How cute that you ASSUME the child was whining to get on the ride! No one ever said that. I agree with Snapper Bean - IF WDW decided that you only have to be 44 inches to ride w/ no health conditions - then that is it period "end of discussion".

Not all parents have kids like you see on Nanny 911............

fiftiesdean

considering it's NASA, and they HAVE to take safety seriously, I'm sure that they considered every possible scenario while building this ride. Also, we may not let our kids ride this, but what about the people who have never been to Disney? How are they to know what it really is?

bears163

TheOneVader said:
I think that neither Disney nor the parents should be to blame. Did Disney know he was going to die on the attraction? No. Did the parents? No. If you ask me, it's no one's fault.
totally agree with you on this one

S_Grise said:
Um...I believe people have died on that ride as well.

Yup...Unbuckling seatbelts and jumping out of the cars. Some people get killed on all sorts of rides because of stupidity (probabily not the case on mission space)

coasterphil

Snapper Bean said:

This guy understands it. The parents simply allowed their child on a ride that Disney thought he could handle as long as he met the height requirement(which he did) and didn't have a pre-existing condition (which we don't know yet, but I doubt they knew of one). No matter what though, the parents really didn't do anything wrong. If it ends up that he had a pre-existing condition, then Disney didn't do anything wrong either.

Also, most people have no idea what the heck Mission: Space actually is. I know that no one in my family understands it, and I'm sure they would have allowed my 5 year old brother on it if we had gone to Epcot on our recent trip and I didn't warn them that a lot of people have trouble handling the ride. Thats how the majority of people at the park would be. They don't spend hours on these boards or read tons of guidebooks, so how are they to know what to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom