Missing: Hidden Mickey In Haunted Mansion Dining Table

AlvinJosh33

Always wanted to go in the Haunted Mansion but never had the courage. I just don't know why. I always end up waiting outside for my husband and children. Shame on me, can't get over the bad experience I had before.

calypso

Did you guys see the new video on the Disney Parks Blog?
It actually show this hidden Mickey everybody is talking about in the last fews seconds of the video.

Just skip to 0.37 seconds and you see it :ROFLOL:
I guess Disney is reading this blog too, and this would make it an official one!

PintoColvig

I knew about the Mickeys in the frame of the portrait over the fireplace before you step into a stretching room. I have one more "nugget" to ask about. We were told a pretty elaborate story about some benches that aren't always sitting outside the HM or just outside the house gates. I've never really remembered to look for it. I was told they aren't always put out. Only during slower seasons. Anywhoo, supposedly there were some black wrought iron benches that a teenage girl sat on waiting for her family to return from riding the HM. She was too cool to hang out with her family or something. So she's sitting on the bench & takes out her bright red nail polish from her purse & occupies herself by carefully dotting red paint on the decorative snakes or serpents or whatever that the bench arms or legs or feet are shaped from. A CM wasn't far & saw her doing this but got distracted before he/she could say anything. The girl's family came out & she moved on leaving behind the red eyes on that bench. The CM forgot to say anything to anyone. The benches were removed within a day or so & sent to Central Shops for repainting/refurbing. The cast there see the red eyes, not knowing this isn't the way the benches should look. They strip them down & repaint, red eyes included. And that's how a guest forever altered the appearance of something in a park.

Any truth or substance in that one???
We were told this by our Keys of the Kingdom tour guide.

gerryu21220

The plexiglass between the doom buggies and ballroom glass helps disguise the "secret" of the optical illusion. Because the plexiglass gives off its own glare, any glare created by the ballroom glass is less noticeable. :sohappy:

Whish is why I don't understand the other statement of how the pane of glass broke when there is plexiglass on the railing between the two. :veryconfu

The plexiglass was installed later, however I believe the reference to the glass being damaged is actually referring to the DL Mansion. A man shot at the glass with a gun. That's when the plexiglass was added to the balcony railings of both Mansions.

French Quarter

Did you guys see the new video on the Disney Parks Blog?
It actually show this hidden Mickey everybody is talking about in the last fews seconds of the video.

Just skip to 0.37 seconds and you see it :ROFLOL:
I guess Disney is reading this blog too, and this would make it an official one!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. It gives a visual to what everyone is talking about.

Mansion Butler

The hitch hiking ghosts? What about them?
No, the musicians. It was going to be a trio of musicians playing in the music room, one on a piano, one on a cello and one on a violin.

They didn't make it, but the pianist did. And on the most recent refurbishment, they put a cello and a violin in the music room as an homage to the lost idea.

Oh, and also, if you talk to the band in the Haunted Mansion video game, they say they need more cowbell. That's unrelated, but that game is awesome.

raven

The plexiglass was installed later, however I believe the reference to the glass being damaged is actually referring to the DL Mansion. A man shot at the glass with a gun. That's when the plexiglass was added to the balcony railings of both Mansions.

Understood. I knew about the bullet in the glass at DL but someone mentioned in this thread a little earlier that the WDW glass had been replaced recently because someone threw something. I just didn't know how they could hit it with the plexiglass in the way.

gerryu21220

Understood. I knew about the bullet in the glass at DL but someone mentioned in this thread a little earlier that the WDW glass had been replaced recently because someone threw something. I just didn't know how they could hit it with the plexiglass in the way.

Ah, gotcha. You're right. I don't see how it even could happen in recent times. At least not by a guest throwing something. It would have to be an inside job - from inside the ballroom or from above or beneath the Doombuggy track where the AA figures are.

ToT_Fanatic

Okay, so while we are on trivia: how are the changing portrait effects accomplished (preshow/bride)? Is the same "technology" used for both?

Oh, i got this one. The Portrait effects are accomplished by basically making

The room a elevator, because your above the ground level when you come in

? Anyway i'm guessing that the bride part is accomplished by the bride being

on the floor where you entered. And the bride is a dummy. :shrug:

djkidkaz

I work in the Mansion and yes there is a large piece of glass in a big wooden box behind the fireplace. We had to replace it years ago because a guest threw something at one of the windows and shattered it. That's why there is plexiglass between the doom buggies and the ballroom glass now.

Most items in the Mansion are screwed or glued down but the plates are not yet. I have a pic but I don't know how to upload it.

Please notice next time you ride, there are books in the attic with Jack the ripper on the covers. There is also a VERY hidden Jack's head in the attic. Without a flashlight you can't see it.

Is there anything else you would like to know?

I've always wondered what it would be like to work full time, 40 hrs a week in the HM? I love the mansion but I couldn't imagine being in that dark building, listening to the ghoulish music for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week!

The other job I pity CM's for is the raft to Tom Sawyer Island, LOL! That should be a punishment job! I'd go absolutely mad driving that raft back and forth, 15 feet for 8 hours in the Florida heat!

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Not really an important, or interesting tidbit of info, but while others there some fun stuff out there regarding the HM I thought I would share something too.

WDW supposivly purchased the Casket Carriage - horseless carriage - (I have no idea what the true name was for it.. I forget) out in front of the mansion from my neighbor Mr. Neff in Howard, Pennsylvania obviously a long time ago. They also purchased the one for a baby sized casket as well (white), but of course, that one is not on display.

I have no idea how to check this fact though. It just seems common knowledge in my hometown :) It would be interesting if anyone can prove this true or not.

Regarding the original post, I have seen the mansion with and without the hidden mickey. It is ashame it is "gone", but won't really bother me either way :)

PuertoRekinSam

The reason WDI does not like this Hidden Mickey is because it's not one of their own.

Unlike most works of art, WDI can't 'sign' their work. Outside of Tony Baxter or Joe Rhode, you don't really hear of the names of anyone from WDI who works on a ride. And besides, Joe and Tony are not the only ones who work on a project....

As a result Hidden Mickey's (and other hidden items, Mr. Toad in Pooh, or the Mustard and ketchup pipes in Dinosaur) are ways for imagineers to say "I've work on this, there my Hidden Mickey signature. When park CM's put in their own Hidden Mickey's WDI considers that a forgery of their work.

Epic Epcot

Oh, and also, if you talk to the band in the Haunted Mansion video game, they say they need more cowbell. That's unrelated, but that game is awesome.

*gasp!* Somebody else that played the HM video game? I thought they were just a myth!? Yeah, that game is just littered with great references and shout outs. It's a real shame it isn't appreciated as much as it should, I always figured it was because of the lack of replayability; once you beat the game it was over, and the only thing left to do was play the game with cheat codes, and that got boring after a while. Let's just hope the new HM movie gets another awesome semi-tie in game!

Back on topic. I can understand why WDI wouldn't be too happy about a "fake" Hidden Mickey being prominently located in a classic scene of an iconic attraction. But then again, when I think Hidden Mickey, the one in the Haunted Mansion is one of the first ones that come to mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom