misery at DHS

draybook

I hate to correct anyone, but to say that TSMM is normally out of Fastpasses by 10am during off season is incorrect. In both 2012 and 2011 I was getting Fastpasses for it after 12 noon in September.

ninjaprincesst

This chaps my hide. A school system has no right to dictate such harsh terms. Hopefully I never encounter this, but I would be inclined to sue. Yeah, that is a lot of hubaloo for a vacation, but when certain things raise my hackles, I tend to really take off. It is the principle of a school running a family's life.

Yyes it does me to, but it is state wide law so not a lot you can do. You cant evn lie and call them in sick because after two days you have to have a doctors excuse. This is why we always go at Thanksgiving because they have that week off and I just don't do the summer heat very well

armyfamilyof5

H

Hey guys. First of all, I would like to say that I am brand new here. I was on another Disney board that shall remain nameless, but while there, never have I encountered such a smug, pompous, condescending group of know it alls in my entire life. I figured there must be another Disney board, did a search and found you all. Having read posts for a week or so, I decided to join. You all seem to be really smart and level headed, and retain a sense of humor and good will, which is sorely lacking on this other board.

Annnnnyway, back to the point:

I was at Disney from September 14 to 18, after having been told by many smug know it alls on the other board that this was the perfect time to go.

It was MOBBED!!!

I am wondering of there are any holidays in Brazil at this time of year because honestly, the majority of the crowd seemed to be Brazilian and we encountered countless groups traveling in packs of ten to twenty or more......

Maybe Disney is doing a marketing blitz there? Who knows. Anyway, the parks were just packed and even the extra magic hours at MGM were not doable. 40 minute waits for everything.

Plus, the temperature was about a thousand degrees.

Don't get me wrong. We had a great time. How can you not? But these stories of it being empty in September seem not to be so true anymore.

Is there any time of the year any more with light crowds?

Sigh.

Quick!!! Someone post a link for one of the front of line pass post so this guy will know we are shallow and smug as well, LOL!

BuddyThomas

I hope your reading the trip reports. They are fantastic. I didnt discover those until bein on for a month or so.
Yep- This is all great. I only wish I had found this awesome board before my recent trip. Oh well. I guess I will just have to schedule another.
;)

BuddyThomas

Quick!!! Someone post a link for one of the front of line pass post so this guy will know we are shallow and smug as well, LOL!
Impossible. I've read a lot of posts and a lot of threads on here and it is honestly the difference from being say, in being on a nice peaceful planet as opposed to the Death Star. The people on this other board were absolutely ridiculous. You guys seem full of fun and good humor. Obviously, there will be disagreements anywhere, but this is totally refreshing.

And in full disclosure, this other board banned me for a week, right before my September 14 trip, for getting in a debate over tipping (I was respectful, and I was defending tipping your server. Annnnd BANNED!!) I was like, are they nuts?

I deleted the app from my phone immediately and will never be back. I respect moderated boards, and I know this board is moderated as well, but the people over there seem like they are on power trips or something.

Anyway, glad to be here, and thanks for harboring a refugee (LOL) but back to the point of the thread ------ my September trip was as mobbed as NYC is right now. I have no idea why but it was. Will maybe try February next, but then I think you start to run into Spring Breakers?

G00fyDad

I hate to correct anyone, but to say that TSMM is normally out of Fastpasses by 10am during off season is incorrect. In both 2012 and 2011 I was getting Fastpasses for it after 12 noon in September.

That may have been the case for you, but we go in October every year and even in September last time and it was out by 10:30am. We went from rope drop to the ride, quickly, and the FP return times were already 2pm or later by the time we got to the ride. I forgot about getting FPs and we just got in line.

draybook

True, but September is more off season than October and the other poster is talking about September.

My statement also applies to 2008, which is also right after it first opened.

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

Impossible. I've read a lot of posts and a lot of threads on here and it is honestly the difference from being say, in being on a nice peaceful planet as opposed to the Death Star.

I guess that depends on whether you are rebel scum or part of the Empire! Illness genetically engineered out, free uniforms, 401K with matching contributions and all of the blasters you care to have...as long as you can't hit the broad side of a Bantha!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Uh Oh - we picked the 2nd week of Oct because we heard it was quiet and decent weather. I checked some of the other sites and they had it as a lower than normal week. Are we looking at crazy crowds that week in your opinions? (Pls no!)

A good suggestion for things like this is to just buy a subscription for touringplans.com to pick your week. for the $6 or $8 or whatever it is.. you can get a well researched opinion. If you're going to blow a few grand on a trip, it's worth it, and you get their lines app on top of it.

Weather_Lady

Uh Oh - we picked the 2nd week of Oct because we heard it was quiet and decent weather. I checked some of the other sites and they had it as a lower than normal week. Are we looking at crazy crowds that week in your opinions? (Pls no!)

We went October 8-13th, 2012, and had a WONDERFUL time. The weather was perfect (a couple of light rain showers that passed very quickly and otherwise beautiful), the crowds were very manageable (about a 4 out of 10 according to Touring Plans) and with the use of a flexible touring plan and 3 or 4 Fastpasses per day in the MK (only 1 or 2 in the other parks), we got to ride all of the headliners at least twice, everything else at least once, and never waited in line more than 10-15 minutes for anything. I think you're going to be just fine and I'd recommend a first-half-of-October visit to anyone!

One tip: if you have Parkhoppers, hit the Magic Kingdom on the days it has MNNSHP. The crowds are light on those days because people who don't have parkhopper tickets avoid MK since they know they'll have to leave before the party, and don't want to waste an entire one-day ticket on a partial day at MK. We'd enjoy a morning there with very low crowds, and then hop to another park in the evening. Also, plan your Epcot visits Monday-Thursday, particularly in the morning and afternoon, if you want to avoid the crowd swell for the Food and Wine Festival during evenings and weekends. During weekdays, you'll have the F&W kiosks virtually all to yourselves. :)

Last edited:

CtDisneyGuy33

We went October 8-13th, 2012, and had a WONDERFUL time. The weather was perfect (a couple of light rain showers that passed very quickly and otherwise beautiful), the crowds were very manageable (about a 4 out of 10 according to Touring Plans) and with the use of a flexible touring plan and 3 or 4 Fastpasses per day in the MK (only 1 or 2 in the other parks), we got to ride all of the headliners at least twice, everything else at least once, and never waited in line more than 10-15 minutes for anything. I think you're going to be just fine and I'd recommend a first-half-of-October visit to anyone!

One tip: if you have Parkhoppers, hit the Magic Kingdom on the days it has MNNSHP. The crowds are light on those days because people who don't have parkhopper tickets avoid MK since they know they'll have to leave before the party, and don't want to waste an entire one-day ticket on a partial day at MK. We'd enjoy a morning there with very low crowds, and then hop to another park in the evening. Also, plan your Epcot visits Monday-Thursday, particularly in the morning and afternoon, if you want to avoid the crowd swell for the Food and Wine Festival during evenings and weekends. During weekdays, you'll have the F&W kiosks virtually all to yourselves. :)

YES!! You just made my day! We checked out the Crowd Levels on Undercover Tourist and a couple other sites (didn't pay for Touring but may going forward) and all had it as a slow time. We have tickets to MNNSHP on Sunday (10/6) so we may just stay there the whole day, especially hearing this good news. It was supposed to be low per those other sites, but wasn't sure.

And as a Major League foodie (its a curse), I'm hoping to hit Epcot a couple days for the F&W. We have tickets for Universal and HHN on Thursday (10/10), so that leaves several days to hopefully hit all the foods and see a concert.

Thanks for the good news!!

jkl2000

This chaps my hide. A school system has no right to dictate such harsh terms. Hopefully I never encounter this, but I would be inclined to sue. Yeah, that is a lot of hubaloo for a vacation, but when certain things raise my hackles, I tend to really take off. It is the principle of a school running a family's life.

Listen to this - my brothers and I went to a private school, and one time my younger brother and I both happened to have the flu, but we needed to take the train to meet my father for the weekend (my parents were divorced). We were in Penn Station waiting for the train so killed some time in a video arcade there (I was 16 or 17 at the time, my brother was about 15). Truancy officers were sweeping the place for kids playing hookie, and they grabbed us too! We were flabbergasted, and insisted the officer let us call our father so he could speak to him. Fortunately the officer let us, and my father explained and they let us go. But we were breaking no laws, were not in the public school system at all, yet came this close to being taken "downtown," or wherever they take truants. Until then, I thought truancy officers were only something from "The Little Rascals." For all they knew, we could have been visiting from another country, or been home-schooled. It was crazy.

daisyduckie

The Disney Studios seems to be becoming a first thing in the morning park. I am usually one who is at the gates before open, and my last few trips DS is jammed pack before open. Sleeping in even an hour means you had a lot of other guests who were almost 2 hours ahead of you in line.

mguimond1990

Original Poster
I think it was just the day I went. All the sites I checked had DHS as the best park for that day. Apparently everyone else took that advise too haha. I went to Epcot yesterday and MK today, both very manageable. I don't recall waiting over 30 min for anything. I will say that overall the crowd levels are higher than I was expecting. I'm gonna chalk it up to the free dining and F&W festival, but like others have said, DHS just doesn't have a lot to offer so it appears more crowded.

dhsaddict83

Since we're talking about misery here, I was at DHS on Friday the 13th (of September 2013) during the day, and for the most part was light, but trying to come back after a late lunch and errands (around 4pm) was an
epic FAIL
due to the "Villainous" night time event. I don't have any pics, but as I drove by, I remember seeing cars bumper to bumper and intersections blocked. I didn't even bother returning, I just kept driving and asking myself, "wt* is going on here". On the way home, I stopped at one of those Helicopter Tour places off 192, forked out a wad, and after informing the chopper pilot what I was looking for, it was fun and interesting to fly over that mess and see the LONGGGGGGGG line of traffic trying to barge in and the busses blocking intersections, etc. lol. I don't like being old-fashioned, which is why I didn't bother reading about that event in Mickey's Monitor. I want to make another thread about May 24th, but this reminds of an awful lot of May 24th, the only difference was I got in to that one, and ended up experiencing epic GRIDLOCK on Main St. in person!!!

daisyduckie

I think it was just the day I went. All the sites I checked had DHS as the best park for that day. Apparently everyone else took that advise too haha. I went to Epcot yesterday and MK today, both very manageable. I don't recall waiting over 30 min for anything. I will say that overall the crowd levels are higher than I was expecting. I'm gonna chalk it up to the free dining and F&W festival, but like others have said, DHS just doesn't have a lot to offer so it appears more crowded.

The site I use showed it is an ok park for that day, but it was still the 3rd choice out of the 4 main parks. And it did say you would be best served by arriving at 8:20 am.

I tried to enter the name of the site, but apparently that is a no no.:oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom