misery at DHS

draybook

Guess it's just me but I expect crowds, noise, lines and waits. I also expect to spend lots of money, and I'll be there NEXT MONTH and can't wait for it.

Then you would have been in Heaven on Thursday. It was an absolute mad house and I've never seen so many ed off people in the parks before.

CP_alum08

True, but September is more off season than October and the other poster is talking about September.

My statement also applies to 2008, which is also right after it first opened.
That was also 5 years ago. The "off season" isn't what it used to be even compared to a few years ago. With every Disney guide book and website telling people to go in sept/oct what can you expect?

dhsaddict83

That was also 5 years ago. The "off season" isn't what it used to be even compared to a few years ago. With every Disney guide book and website telling people to go in sept/oct what can you expect?

Fair enough. So what do you think is (or will be) the new "off season" (or there isn't one)?

draybook

It's not that busy? Were you at the MK on Thursday? I was, and 20 minute waits for Stitch and Laugh Floor are NOT normal for September. Those are numbers I'm used to during March, not September. Also, I wish I had taken a picture during Wishes......it was a sea of people and HORRIBLE crowd control. My wife even saw a person literally push a CM's hand down in the walking lanes. It was the worst.

Mark In KY

Then you would have been in Heaven on Thursday. It was an absolute mad house and I've never seen so many ed off people in the parks before.
Guess it's just me but I've been going to WDW since the 1970s and I've never once been ed off. Been there when the tour groups were in full swing, been there with cheerleaders running around everywhere, been there during Flower and Garden, Food and Wine, and all the race events, etc. and etc. And ETC. Stood in lines, back in the day, that were well over an hour long, and long before there were interactive queques and overhead shades. Been soaked and drenched, been bumped, jostled and run into. But ed off? Nope.

Anyway, how are you and Horse doing?

draybook

Guess it's just me but I've been going to WDW since the 1970s and I've never once been ed off. Been there when the tour groups were in full swing, been there with cheerleaders running around everywhere, been there during Flower and Garden, Food and Wine, and all the race events, etc. and etc. And ETC. Stood in lines, back in the day, that were well over an hour long, and long before there were interactive queques and overhead shades. Been soaked and drenched, been bumped, jostled and run into. But ed off? Nope.

Anyway, how are you and Horse doing?

Good, good. This trip really jaded us. I took the time to look around and I saw a whole lot of unhappy people, it was disheartening. We're either going to try a different time of year in hopes of a better trip or just skip WDW for a bit and let the "magic" refill.

doctornick

Fair enough. So what do you think is (or will be) the new "off season" (or there isn't one)?

Sept and Oct are still "off-season". The difference is that "off-season" these days at WDW is not as dramatically less busy than it was years ago. Between all the information out there about when to visit and promotions to entice people to come at all times, even the lighter periods have a steady amount of guests. Things are a lot more even all year round.

Wikkler

Oh, wait. It's Hump Day. That explains it.
maxresdefault.jpg

Leslie, guess what today is?

Mark In KY

Good, good. This trip really jaded us. I took the time to look around and I saw a whole lot of unhappy people, it was disheartening. We're either going to try a different time of year in hopes of a better trip or just skip WDW for a bit and let the "magic" refill.
Sometimes you have to pull back and let things "reset". Any theme/amusement park vaca is an expensive undertaking and there's no reason to lay out the cash if you are going to leave unhappy. I was born in the mid-1950s so obviously Disney was a huge part of my childhood. I was never a comic book kid (more The Hardy Boys) and I've never read a Potter book (or a Twilight one for that matter), so those aspects of Uni don't get to me the way that Disney characters do. My first trip to WDW was in college in the 1970s and "all" that was there were the MK, River Country, the original Discovery Island, the Polynesian, the Contemporary, the campground and the Disney Inn (now Shades of Green). I for one had NO idea what would eventually be constructed. If I had I would have sought a job with WDW upon graduation and perhaps now I'd be one of those long term employees that you read about who has worked their way up the ladder. I've had a good, interesting life but I do envy those folks.
As I said before, I've been to Uni and SeaWorld multiple times and also enjoy them, but all offer a different experience. I've also had all the same "negative" experiences at them with crowds, etc. And I've never been ed off while at them either. By the same token I've camped in more than a few National Parks and been kept awake all nite by drunks and their music and then gone into the mens' room in the morning to find it covered in vomit and other body fluids. Probably none of them were "Brazilian tour groups". LOL.

luv

You didn't hear me tell you that September wouldn't be crowded. I get lambasted every time I say it, but September is still busy. And hot and humid.

I still say it. :) But all the so-called experts come out of the woodwork to tell me I'm wrong, the books and websites say differently and they never think it is crowded.

There really is no dead time any longer. You may get a few days here and there through the winter, but generally it's a matter of crowded vs. ridiculously crowded these days.

Bairstow

You didn't hear me tell you that September wouldn't be crowded. I get lambasted every time I say it, but September is still busy. And hot and humid.

I still say it. :) But all the so-called experts come out of the woodwork to tell me I'm wrong, the books and websites say differently and they never think it is crowded.

There really is no dead time any longer. You may get a few days here and there through the winter, but generally it's a matter of crowded vs. ridiculously crowded these days.

First full week in September, or rather the first weekend after Labor Day was very uncrowded this year.
People are right in saying there are no down months anymore, but there are still down weeks, especially on the back ends of minor holidays.

ToyStoryMiss

Actually, about the EMH's..in my opinion, it's best to STAY AWAY from the park that has EMH's. (Early Morning, not the night ones)
We did that this trip and it wasn't too crowded! I mean, it wasn't too crowded in the parks that don't have EMH's. For example, the other day we went to DHS, and it wasn't really that packed!
That's because DAK had EMH's that morning. We were able to get on TSMM 3 times! (twice in a row, third with FP)
At some point, we also went to DAK when MK had EMH's..not even crowded! It was awesome! I went on EE 5 times in a row!
So, advice for some people; Stay away from parks with Early Morning Hours. Less crowded parks. Nicer time. Low ride wait times. EVERYONE'S HAPPY!

Runmyhorse

I guess it really depends on your definition of "crowded."

September isn't even close to as uncrowded as it once was, especially later in the month.

This is true. September has become crowded. As a matter of fact we just got back from wdw and the crowds were the same as cheerleading competition/spring break in march. There is no off season anymore. Every year has gotten more and more crowded. If anyone tells you September is off season do not listen to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom