mine ride for BIG PEOPLE..

Disney Donna

Thanks! DH and I both had weight loss surgery. The exact procedure is commonly referred to as a gastric sleeve. It has a similar effect as a lapband, but with no foreign object it's considered to be much safer. Basically, I now has a smaller stomach that just can't hold as much food. We were both diabetic, and this surgery took care of that. I had tried the "old fashioned way" numerous times, but my diabetes made my blood sugar so out of whack that I couldn't control my hunger. The sleeve changed that and made it so that I could use the same techniques as the "old fashioned way." It just made everything more doable. We still had to diet and exercise... the sleeve is just another tool to aid with those efforts is all.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions. I'll be happy to discuss this at length; I just don't want to hijack this thread :)

Rodneyt74

On subject of single bars across seat.. I have story of how bad that can be that just happen last week. I just got back from 10 days in Orlando. Mine train was awesome by the way for type of ride it is. But on single bar issue.. We went to Uni and rode Jurassic ride.. 5 or 6 people to row and one big bar.. Well one guy on end was fairly large, guess 6'0 and 350lbs?.. my wife and I were on other end and there was two kids in middle (his kids?).. we were all on front row.. the bar was a good 10 inches from me and 12 from my wife.. The kids in middle were way off bar.. When we went down the big hill and hit water the 4 of us slammed forward. My knees hit the front of cart and busted my knee bad.. it was bruised the next day and sore. My wife was fine lucky, but The kids hit there head on bar and were screaming when got off.. They took kids to first aid, I didn't mention my knee to them since kids seem to be more in need of attention.. Good example why single bar doesn't work good.. Some might be grandfathered in but definitely need a bar for each rider.. Just a lot safer...

tamotu99

Yes need a bar for each ride, would it be too complicated to have a bar that not just comes down vertically, but also brings itself in towards knees, until resistance is met, so that someone will large thighs will be sitting just as ccomfortably and securely as a small chiold with small short legs, surely with the technology availabale today and the money someone can design something like this

TP2000

I feel bad for the OP, as they still let me ride it all three times with the bar up, I just told them its not Aerosmith....I won't fall out and they let me ride.

Sounds like you just need to get the right Mine Train CM to allow an adult to ride with the lapbar up. Maybe the OP being there on pre-opening weekend didn't help, as all the suits were probably there watching so the CM's couldn't make exceptions.

Now that it's past opening day, or if you go after 5PM when the suits go home, the CM's will probably let big adults ride with the lapbar up. At least it's already happened a few times, so I can only imagine they'll get more lenient with each passing day.

tamotu99

Most coasters will not leave the station if all lap bars aren't registered as being down (that is why you see cast members pushing down on the bars of empty seats) this is a very basic safety system that i highly doubt Disney would have removed from their newest coaster.

DarkImage4

So I need a ride to ride comparison for this lapbar from some of you who had issues....

Please compare squeezing your leg into the lapbars on the Mine Train to the similar lapbars on Everest....

Grumpy36

So I need a ride to ride comparison for this lapbar from some of you who had issues....

Please compare squeezing your leg into the lapbars on the Mine Train to the similar lapbars on Everest....

I rode both last week. I had no issues getting into the Everest seats or lapbar, but the mine train was painful. I think I was only able to move the lapbar down one click on Mine Train, and my knees were jammed in and in pain the whole ride.

joannecasey

Makes me sad to read this ! As a large lady I have always been so surprised by how accomodating the rides at Disney are. My next trip to Disney in Nov 2015 will be just me and my 10 year old son as I've recently divorced. So if I can't ride, DS probably won't either. Ugh ... just another reason to be pi**ed at myself for having all those extra cheeseburgers !! Time to fire up the old treadmill and get some more weight off !!!!!!!!!!!

lunchbox1175

Sounds like you just need to get the right Mine Train CM to allow an adult to ride with the lapbar up. Maybe the OP being there on pre-opening weekend didn't help, as all the suits were probably there watching so the CM's couldn't make exceptions.

Now that it's past opening day, or if you go after 5PM when the suits go home, the CM's will probably let big adults ride with the lapbar up. At least it's already happened a few times, so I can only imagine they'll get more lenient with each passing day.
Don't know, I rode it on the soft opening 24 hour event twice and once on Monday so all occasions were before the official opening.

fbp

I'm 5'11" 165 lbs and I can't fit on all the adult rides. It's not that big of a deal. They can't design all things for everyone.

71jason

Much tighter fit. E:E never even made an impression, but felt the squeeze on 7D. Still doable, just ... my voice was two octaves higher until I walked it off in Tomorrowland.

Lord Starwalker

I got to ride this during the soft launch at the Rock Your Disney event. There is deffinitely an issue with the width of the bars in respect to leg room. I had to squeeze my legs together to fit them in between the bars. I was surprised that there was no room to make an adjustment. Getting seated is not an issue. Getting your legs pressed together to fit in-between the bars is an issue! It was a very tight fit and somewhat uncomfortable, but I barely fit.

Other than that issue, the ride was AWESOME! Very smooth, and quite fast at times. The animatronics were done really well, quite a bit of Disney magic packed into that mine. I really enjoyed the end of the ride where the track turns back and forth, causing your mine car to rock. :happy:

doctornick

I'm 5'11" 165 lbs and I can't fit on all the adult rides. It's not that big of a deal. They can't design all things for everyone.

Right. E:E has a 44" height requirement. If they used similar size vehicles for the 7DMT, they probably wouldn't have the 38" height requirement that they do -- which allows for a lot of younger children to experience the ride.

My guess is that Disney erred on the side of allowing for younger/smaller guests to be able to ride over comfort for larger adults.

Brian Swan

I'm 5'8" and about 280lbs, with fairly heavy thighs. I fit, but it definately WAS uncomfortable - fortunately (?) it is for less than 2 min, and the ride is very smooth, so it was tolerable. Over all, I would say that Disney is probably the most accomodating for "people of size". I've had to do the "too fat to ride walk of shame" several times at Six Flags and BG parks; the ONLY ride in WDW that I cannot do is SoaT...

flynnibus

Premium Member
My guess is that Disney erred on the side of allowing for younger/smaller guests to be able to ride over comfort for larger adults.

Or... more so.. the artistic concept dictated certain sizes and proportions that lead to compromises. The amount of space is dictated first by the external size and proportions of the cart. Trying to maintain that look while making it functional was probably a huge challenge. And here we see some of the compromises

Mr Anderson

On subject of single bars across seat.. I have story of how bad that can be that just happen last week. I just got back from 10 days in Orlando. Mine train was awesome by the way for type of ride it is. But on single bar issue.. We went to Uni and rode Jurassic ride.. 5 or 6 people to row and one big bar.. Well one guy on end was fairly large, guess 6'0 and 350lbs?.. my wife and I were on other end and there was two kids in middle (his kids?).. we were all on front row.. the bar was a good 10 inches from me and 12 from my wife.. The kids in middle were way off bar.. When we went down the big hill and hit water the 4 of us slammed forward. My knees hit the front of cart and busted my knee bad.. it was bruised the next day and sore. My wife was fine lucky, but The kids hit there head on bar and were screaming when got off.. They took kids to first aid, I didn't mention my knee to them since kids seem to be more in need of attention.. Good example why single bar doesn't work good.. Some might be grandfathered in but definitely need a bar for each rider.. Just a lot safer...

That sounds just awful... I hope the kids were okay. I had a bruised knee & a bit of a limp for a day or so from a similar situation, so I agree... the single bar just doesn't make sense these days.

tamotu99

I read in another thread that the ride vehicles were designed as part of a project for Shanghai Disneyland (where the people are a lot smaller...)

Well that is just plain stupid, same as no alcohol at Disney Paris was when that opened, you have to make your product fit the culture it is in, so yes the french basically demand a drink at lunchtime, equally the american (and european) parks need larger seats and restraints than the asian ones

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom