Mine Ride Construction Update

AEfx

There's actually more to it than that. There are different labels depending on the types of degrees offered. If the school only offers Associate Degrees (a 2 year degree) then it is referred to as a Junior College. If it offers at least one Bachelor's degree (a 4 year degree) then it is a college. If the school offers at least one post-graduate degree (Master's/Doctorate/Professional) then it can be referred to as a University.

While not a requirement, generally Universities are also heavily invested in research whereas a College's primary function is to simply teach.

Yeah, that's why I said - common vernacular. Most times conversationally we don't feel the need to get into the subsets, in fact it can be kind of rude to in some circumstances. I actually went to a college that offers graduate degrees, and it's still a college (it's not a university), so the definitions truly vary - which is why in general, as the person noticed - we refer to it as college in general, and don't make the differentiation under most casual circumstances.

AEfx

For so called fans, it still amazes me the way some people nit-pick the crap out of the most inane details. Is a scrim of a stream really worse than watching construction workers pour concrete and theme metal supports?

I think what you are seeing is people (like myself) who quite literally are watching paint dry. So we pour over every detail possible because...there is so little to talk about after all this time.

The embarrassing pace of the construction of this attraction broke the level of absurd at least a year ago.

It also is frustrating as a Disney fan, because - yes - construction scrims and walls are a fact of life at a Disney theme park, unfortunately, but what bothers some of us (and me personally) is the fact that it has gone on for so long, in the middle of "New Fantasyland" - a huge eyesore for YEARS now. Yes, construction is a fact of life - but I just can't in any way believe that they have left one in the literal middle of what should be the most magical place on the entire property like this - even for whatever financial decisions led to them dragging it out in such a ridiculous manner for what really amounts to a C-ticket in the grand scheme of things.

So it's no wonder people get all excited about the tiniest little things - with so little else being built in the parks right now, and this one taking a pace so slow it would be rude to a snail to call it "snail paced" - there isn't much really to do but obsess over every little thing here.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think what you are seeing is people (like myself) who quite literally are watching paint dry. So we pour over every detail possible because...there is so little to talk about after all this time.

The embarrassing pace of the construction of this attraction broke the level of absurd at least a year ago.

It also is frustrating as a Disney fan, because - yes - construction scrims and walls are a fact of life at a Disney theme park, unfortunately, but what bothers some of us (and me personally) is the fact that it has gone on for so long, in the middle of "New Fantasyland" - a huge eyesore for YEARS now. Yes, construction is a fact of life - but I just can't in any way believe that they have left one in the literal middle of what should be the most magical place on the entire property like this - even for whatever financial decisions led to them dragging it out in such a ridiculous manner for what really amounts to a C-ticket in the grand scheme of things.

So it's no wonder people get all excited about the tiniest little things - with so little else being built in the parks right now, and this one taking a pace so slow it would be rude to a snail to call it "snail paced" - there isn't much really to do but obsess over every little thing here.

Actually at it's current pace the Mine Ride is on pace to be the second fastest ride Disney has built at WDW since 2008....

Mission:Space (3/29/2000-10/10/2003) 43 Months
Test Track (1/2/1996-3/17/1999) 38 Months
BatB/Little Mermaid Section of FLE (2/10/2010-12/6/2012) 34 months
Expedition Everest 7/1/2003 4/7/2006 33 Months
Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride (10/1/2011-4/30/2014) 30 Months
Toy Story Mania (11/18/2006-5/31/2008) 18 Months

djkidkaz

Actually at it's current pace the Mine Ride is on pace to be the second fastest ride Disney has built at WDW since 2008....

Ahhh I love when fact trumps hyperbole. :)

Clamman73

But doesn't MS 43 months include Horizons demolition time though???

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Note that I am not trying to prove exact rankings here since there is a little subjectivity in these numbers since they are just based on when visible work was first reported. My point is that the Mine Ride construction speed is consistent with the speed at which other rides have been built recently.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Note that I am not trying to prove exact rankings here since there is a little subjectivity in these numbers since they are just based on when visible work was first reported. My point is that the Mine Ride construction speed is consistent with the speed at which other rides have been built recently.
...your facts are not welcome here...they are getting in the way of a good story;)

I'll steal someone else's thunder and say "but it's just a kiddie coaster".

One thing that I find interesting is TSMM went up in 18 months. A lot of people are bent out of shape because Universal built Transformers so quickly compared to how long Mine Train is taking but the better comparison would be TSMM. Both rides are essentially in a warehouse type building, both are projector screen based and both exist on the West Coast too. TSMM was 5 years ago, but still shows that Disney can build a good attraction quickly if they choose to.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
...your facts are not welcome here...they are getting in the way of a good story;)

I'll steal someone else's thunder and say "but it's just a kiddie coaster".

One thing that I find interesting is TSMM went up in 18 months. A lot of people are bent out of shape because Universal built Transformers so quickly compared to how long Mine Train is taking but the better comparison would be TSMM. Both rides are essentially in a warehouse type building, both are projector screen based and both exist on the West Coast too. TSMM was 5 years ago, but still shows that Disney can build a good attraction quickly if they choose to.

But TSMM was built in an existing building, Transformers had to demolish an existing structure and build a whole new one, not to mention it's a much more complex ride system and was still build in 6 months less then TSMM. Uni does get a small advantage since Transformers was a clone. (Before anyone says anything, from a construction perspective TSMM wasn't a clone since it was built at the same time as the one in DCA, so they really didn't get the benefit of experience while building it.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But TSMM was built in an existing building, Transformers had to demolish an existing structure and build a whole new one, not to mention it's a much more complex ride system and was still build in 6 months less then TSMM. Uni does get a small advantage since Transformers was a clone. (Before anyone says anything, from a construction perspective TSMM wasn't a clone since it was built at the same time as the one in DCA, so they really didn't get the benefit of experience while building it.)
True, but sometimes it's quicker and easier to build from scratch than try to refurb an existing structure.

AEfx

I'd debate some of those dates, but regardless - that wasn't my point. In fact, it just reenforces the fact that Disney takes ridiculous lengths of time building attractions.

That said - comparing the Mine Ride to E-tickets like Everest, Test Track, or even the entire construction of the rest of New Fantasyland - isn't exactly a fair comparison in my opinion. Just comparing them like that is like comparing the length of time someone takes to build a 1-story house vs. a 3-story house.

This one is also in the direct center of a land - visible from all 4 sides - and in this location, with an attraction that is ultimately this small, and so long going on between actual work happening - it only makes sense to accountants who want to spread out cost, not guest experience or anything else that matters except for numbers on a spreadsheet. Between this and the NFE in general, no one has entered Fantasyland, which should be the most magical place in the parks, without being faced with massive construction since the start of the decade, yet those admission prices keep getting hiked up.

Certain other parks can build an entire E-ticket from start to finish in less than half the time - and do it consistently and regularly. Disney used to also be a hub of efficiency - to keep impact to guests at a minimum - not any more. That used to be important. In this case, they built the entirety of Epcot in the time that this little hill in Fantasyland is taking.

So, as I said - it's no wonder people get excited and/or explore in detail as we literally sit and watch paint dry, which was what my response was about to begin with.

Ahhh I love when fact trumps hyperbole. :)

Ahhhh I love when someone contributes nothing to a discussion but a pithy, snarky comment and doesn't realize that nothing that was said trumps anything I said. ;)

Not to mention that Transformers is much more complex of an attraction - there are far more than just video screens lined up in rows and includes complex effects and other features. From a pure construction standpoint, there was a lot more involved.

True, but sometimes it's quicker and easier to build from scratch than try to refurb an existing structure.

Well, that's pretty much what they did - they demolished one building and rebuilt it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not to mention that Transformers is much more complex of an attraction - there are far more than just video screens lined up in rows and includes complex effects and other features. From a pure construction standpoint, there was a lot more involved.

Well, that's pretty much what they did - they demolished one building and rebuilt it.
In fairness Transformers was a clone. They already built it once so there are efficiencies there. I agree it is a more complex ride system. My only point when making the comparison between TSMM and Transformers is that they are similar undertakings that were built in a similar timeframe. I guess I was just surprised how quick TSMM went up.

EPCOTCenterLover

Maybe Frozen should go to MK in the New Fantasyland? Using the wireless system like Pooh's Hunney Hunt in Tokyo, it could be a first class E ticket reason for that area of the park. And just think of the potential for a Christmas overlay! :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
In fairness Transformers was a clone. They already built it once so there are efficiencies there. I agree it is a more complex ride system. My only point when making the comparison between TSMM and Transformers is that they are similar undertakings that were built in a similar timeframe. I guess I was just surprised how quick TSMM went up.

Actually they had built Tranformers twice before, Singapore and Hollywood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom