Mine Ride Construction Update

phi2134

Perhaps the sad reality is that people are realizing this ride will be nice, but not THAT impressive such that the loss of a log is a big deal. Think of it this way--if the Haunted Mansion were being built today, and we learned that ONE ghoul was being cut from the budget, no one would care. And yet we care about a log missing from the capstone of the FLE. What does that say about the ride?
What does it say about some people on this site? :)

Pixiedustmaker

I am looking forward to this ride but would have loved for Disney to have built the original version. Even if they had cut back on some of the theming, the length of the original would have been great. It would have rivaled BTMRR or at least come very close.

How long was the original going to be? There's only so much space in the plot of land it is on, guess they could have built a bigger mountain with more show scenes, that would have definitely extended the ride duration.

A quick remark about concept art. When auto shows are put on, automakers bring out concept cars. Many of these cars are working models. Most never go into production and, even if they do, the concept is generally radically changed.

The log-bridge "concept art" was placed on construction walls while the ride is being constructed, (this year?) Presumably, at this point the construction plans are pretty much fixed, the purpose of said art is to advertise the project, not an Imagineering display in a blue sky cellar. Plus the art has a polish "attraction art" sheen to it, though it might be based on original concept art. Though I will admit that the log-bridge art was shown at D23 . . . so maybe, plans have changed, if so, then it doesn't seem right to use the stuff to advertise an attraction that they know won't have such a feature.

It would be like Toyota using concept art to advertise the Prius after production of the car was already in progress.

Skibum1970

How long was the original going to be? There's only so much space in the plot of land it is on, guess they could have built a bigger mountain with more show scenes, that would have definitely extended the ride duration.

The log-bridge "concept art" was placed on construction walls while the ride is being constructed, (this year?) Presumably, at this point the construction plans are pretty much fixed, the purpose of said art is to advertise the project, not an Imagineering display in a blue sky cellar. Plus the art has a polish "attraction art" sheen to it, though it might be based on original concept art. Though I will admit that the log-bridge art was shown at D23 . . . so maybe, plans have changed, if so, then it doesn't seem right to use the stuff to advertise an attraction that they know won't have such a feature.

It would be like Toyota using concept art to advertise the Prius after production of the car was already in progress.

Lee had a schematic (similar to the one he posted a page or two) that showed a much longer coaster. More outdoor and indoor scenes. Probably would have been about three minutes long. Coasters are very different than cars for concepts. I've seen a lot of artistic license on coaster depictions. I understand what your point of view has been but, until the ride is finished, none of us here are going to know (short of an underhanded construction worker) what it all looks like from beginning to end. Best to simply sit back, enjoy the spectacle for another EIGHT months, and get ready to ride.

phi2134

And I believe that in the DaMouse link that I sent just above you can clearly see the start of a bridge structure around the span above the second drop, which clearly looks like this will be a bridge and not a log, more pictures of this in the link above.

DSC08590.jpg

Pixiedustmaker

And I believe that in the DaMouse link that I sent just above you can clearly see the start of a bridge structure around the span above the second drop, which clearly looks like this will be a bridge and not a log, more pictures of this in the link above.

DSC08590.jpg

Thanks for the photo, but if you look on DaMouse, there are higher resolution pictures and you can see that these are just steel beams, very similar if not identical to the ones used to support "rockwork". It might be hard to figure out if these are next to this loop of track (though it certainly look to be the case, if so, a "rockwork" type structure will possibly covered up this section of track with some sort of bridge, man-made or log-bridge . . .

I would also note that if you go on DaMouse, the height of these beams differs, we've seen this with rockwork before, they use a computer program to figure out how high to cut the beams. Plus there are fasteners on top of them, likely this is the unfinished "bones" of whatever will be built.

DSC08596.jpg

Seems like they're using beams of these dimensions to support rockwork elsewhere

DSC07764.jpg

phi2134

Something I was curious about is how are the boundaries for the mine train going to work? Will it be an earthen wall "concrete" to separate the guests from the ride or possibly a fence to stop people from climbing on things? Any one have any solid info? Most other attractions like this(barnstormer, Big Thunder) all have fences from what I remember.

TP2000

It's really starting to take shape! Is it still set to open early 2014?

Judging by those latest pics, and judging by the average Disney construction project and how long they like to test things once they can get coaster trains actually using the track, I would be surprised if this makes it by "Winter 2014".

I would think this is opening in "Spring 2014", meaning March to May of '14. Anyone able to correct that amateur guesstimate by me?

TDO likely wants to get this open and operating at least 30 days before Potter 2.0 opens up the freeway.

Sped2424

So im guessing those spots that are really green on the mermaid rock work is where grass will go or some type of plant correct?

Sped2424

Something I was curious about is how are the boundaries for the mine train going to work? Will it be an earthen wall "concrete" to separate the guests from the ride or possibly a fence to stop people from climbing on things? Any one have any solid info? Most other attractions like this(barnstormer, Big Thunder) all have fences from what I remember.

Mhm If the model is any indication it will have some rock work on the outside so maybe a mixture of that and fences.

Rob562

I would presume there will eventually be a fence between the walkways and the "dirt" piles.

-Rob

build_it

Did anyone else notice in Scott Keating's wonderful photo, it looks like they are beginning the foundation work for the cottage?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom