Mine Ride Construction Update

Pixiedustmaker

So...somewhere in this photo is a mine entrance?
I don't see it. Maybe it's gonna be real small...
Or else it could be a theme element added later...
View attachment 29056

Actually, looks like that "grey" wall there is the right side of the mine entrance, maybe the entrance is more 7-8 feet wide by ten feet high, instead of just a square 10' x 10'. Odd angle, but you can see progress, (I believe) on the mine entrance and on the rockwork below, and to the left) of said mine entrance.

Pixiedustmaker

I never thought it would be up in the air, but that's where the concept art showed it. Not happening.

While else would they put in a wall there? Why the tar paper/roofing there? Why is it in exactly the same spot that the mine entrance should be in the model? Of course there will be rockwork around it, it is exactly where it is in the model!

Pixiedustmaker

Looks like it is happening, right where the model said it would be. It is just a minor structure, easy to build with the access to the mountain . . .

At the top of the first lift hill, there's a mine entrance next to the track to the left of the cars in this pic, is this where people think the which is going to be?

MK_Seven+Dwarfs_MineTrain_FLmodel-goldhaber.jpg

they haven't fished this area in the actual construction yet

Pixiedustmaker

Compare the model to this: You see that soon to be partially enclosed cavity to the right of the big 'hole' in the mountain on the second level with the sloped roof? To the right of that generator? Right before the track reaches it's zenith? Bingo.

Dwarf+Coaster+Rail.jpg
[/quote]

Pixiedustmaker

Looks to me like rockwork is going up around the putative mine entrance. I think some of the yellow mesh for rockwork indicates a 'ledge' for the entrance, as per the model, and also some of it looks like it is curving inwards around the proximate location of the entrance.

I can still see the "sloped roof" (which is the floor of the mine entrance), and it seems that the rockwork is being built around it.

I could see them putting in some audio of the Dwarfs singing/working . . . it might carry down the general direction of the other (east side) NFL entrance, a sort of Rufus's welcoming for NFL with a nice little megaphone effect.

It's not in the model (perhaps too small), but this would be a sweet spot (assuming it is a mine entrance) to put in a miner's lantern, would look cool at night.

Pixiedustmaker

I would add that putting/not-putting a mine entrance is kinda a trivial matter in terms of cost of construction. Rock work, versus a small (I'm estimating the sloped floor of the mine entrance is 15 feet by 8 feet) area with rockwork built over it. Virtually the same cost. Water will blow in there, so that is why it is sloped, IMO.

Putting rock work inside doesn't make that much sense if they want to just paint it black, maybe add some props, put in a speaker for sound effects. There will be rockwork all around it. They could put in some detailing on the sides, such as some glittering diamonds. Given the sheltered location, they could also put in an animatronic, but I'm not sure what would fit here. Was the witch near a mine entrance in the film?

Pixiedustmaker

I never thought it would be up in the air, but that's where the concept art showed it. Not happening.

There was concept art that showed the Seven Dwarfs on a log above the track, what I'm talking about is a "log bridge", a naturalistic facade for where the track crosses over water near ground level.

Disney-Seven-Dwarfs-Mine-Train.jpg

orky8

There was concept art that showed the Seven Dwarfs on a log above the track, what I'm talking about is a "log bridge", a naturalistic facade for where the track crosses over water near ground level.

That concept art doesn't really jive with anything we know about the attraction, but I'm wondering if it was half right. It doesn't make sense for the log bridge to be at that main crossing, but there still must be a crossing somewhere over the waterfall. I'm not 100% clear on where the waterfall is actually going to be, but perhaps the log bridge is going where I show in red on this picture, with the waterfall being the blue area? Somewhere the lower portion of the helix must be crossing water, unless the waterfall is on the southern side of the helix or (and I doubt this) the lower helix goes under the rockside of the waterfall.

75wLWlr.jpg

@Lee, does this make sense? Where is the waterfall and where does the Helix cross the water?

Pixiedustmaker

That concept art doesn't really jive with anything we know about the attraction, but I'm wondering if it was half right. It doesn't make sense for the log bridge to be at that main crossing, but there still must be a crossing somewhere over the waterfall.

The picture I posted,

is on the construction walls around 7DMT. I think there is good reason to believe that it is more or less correct as it isn't rough concept art, but more or less "attraction art" produced specifically to advertise 7DMT and to look like concept art. It sure isn't in a display case in some blue sky cellar with tons of other concept art concerning 7DMT.

I think that the log will be there as its kinda advertised for the ride, and this is part of the attraction that guests walking over to BoG can look at, and given that WDI went to great pains to put in "dirt and debris" for the tracks (seen in photo above), no need to add a "man-made" bridge in the middle of nowhere.

The upturn of the helix with the "man-made" bridge was imagined as a bridge probably because you can't have every bridge be a log.

orky8

The picture I posted,

is on the construction walls around 7DMT. I think there is good reason to believe that it is more or less correct as it isn't rough concept art, but more or less "attraction art" produced specifically to advertise 7DMT and to look like concept art. It sure isn't in a display case in some blue sky cellar with tons of other concept art concerning 7DMT.

I think that the log will be there as its kinda advertised for the ride, and this is part of the attraction that guests walking over to BoG can look at, and given that WDI went to great pains to put in "dirt and debris" for the tracks (seen in photo above), no need to add a "man-made" bridge in the middle of nowhere.

The upturn of the helix with the "man-made" bridge was imagined as a bridge probably because you can't have every bridge be a log.

Well, even if my hypothetical placement is correct, the concept art is backwards. I can't think of anywhere where the cars are making a right turn with the waterfall possibly on the left except at the main bridge. But, that main bridge is to span the track, not the waterfall. So, like I said, this concept art simply can't be completely correct. The question, though, is whether it is conceptually correct.

Pixiedustmaker

Well, even if my hypothetical placement is correct, the concept art is backwards. I can't think of anywhere where the cars are making a right turn with the waterfall possibly on the left except at the main bridge. But, that main bridge is to span the track, not the waterfall. So, like I said, this concept art simply can't be completely correct. The question, though, is whether it is conceptually correct.

That's true, the car will actually be going up the curve, I was just thinking along the lines of a log crossing a water feature with a waterfall somewhere in the background.

Based on your drawing (filling in blue for water), and the aerial, I think that water might be pumped up to a high height, and then trickle down through a series of water falls, looks like one such "trickle" little water fall area will be right where the track crosses the water feature. If so, the attraction art might not be far off.

Some of the construction wall attraction art/concept art has the mine train at the peak of life hill #1 with the mine train entrance (unless this is a mine train car coming out after lift#2??) . . . only the train is going the wrong way!, (it is a mirror image), and you can't see it from that vantage. I think that who did this "concept art", was given a look at the model/CGI model, and took a drop of artistic license.

The-Seven-Dwarfs-Mine-Train_Full_12652.jpg

tl77

That concept art doesn't really jive with anything we know about the attraction, but I'm wondering if it was half right. It doesn't make sense for the log bridge to be at that main crossing, but there still must be a crossing somewhere over the waterfall. I'm not 100% clear on where the waterfall is actually going to be, but perhaps the log bridge is going where I show in red on this picture, with the waterfall being the blue area? Somewhere the lower portion of the helix must be crossing water, unless the waterfall is on the southern side of the helix or (and I doubt this) the lower helix goes under the rockside of the waterfall.

75wLWlr.jpg

@Lee, does this make sense? Where is the waterfall and where does the Helix cross the water?

Assuming they are going to have this log bridge this makes sense to me, because there aren't many places where there will be water around the Mine Train, and if you were standing with your back to prince Eric's Castle, facing the red line you drew on the photo, the view would be pretty close to what you'd see in that concept sketch

Lee

Adventurer
Ok...bear with me. I'll try to clear much of this up. (As if....)

The photo right here is the entire project.
flover.jpg

The red lines are the upper bridge over water and track. It is not a log.
The blue lines is the other water crossing just after the drop out of the mine. It is part of an upwards helix to the right. It is also not a log, and can be seen somewhat in the pre-vis video screen cap below (circled in blue).
7dmr bridges blue.jpg

The mine entrance, if one goes by the model, will be right at the top of the first lift. I've circled the area in orange on the top pic. It may well be going there, I don't know. but based on what we are seeing currently, I don't think there are any signs of it yet.
Also, the sloped roof with the "tar paper" is the roof over the second lift (marked in pink).

matt9112

Ok...bear with me. I'll try to clear much of this up. (As if....)

The photo right here is the entire project.
View attachment 29059
The blue lines is the other water crossing just after the drop out of the mine. It is part of an upwards helix to the right. It is also not a log, and can be seen somewhat in the pre-vis video screen cap below (circled in blue).
View attachment 29060

The mine entrance, if one goes by the model, will be right at the top of the first lift. I've circled the area in orange on the top pic. It may well be going there, I don't know. but based on what we are seeing currently, I don't think there are any signs of it yet.
Also, the sloped roof with the "tar paper" is the roof over the second lift (marked in pink).

is there a link where you have your bio?

Pixiedustmaker

I think the "tar paper" floor/roof (which has a second roof over this, is the mine shaft, and it appears to be north of the second lift, and more over the maintenance area. Still it is very short in length, perhaps 15 feet, if this was all rockwork then there would be no need to build a second roof under this small area. If it is a little "cave" type structure, then yes, it will need a little bit of weather protection in there.

We never, (or at least I never), though that this was going to be a log. The "Seven Dwarfs on a Log" feature from a blurry piece of concept art obviously isn't where the track is, just theming.

The pre-vis of 7DMT isn't a Pixar CGI short. Short-cuts were taken, and they might not have had the time, or inclination, to animate in a log so they cut and pasted the code for the bridge. Why would animating the log-bridge help with the pre-vis versus just plopping in a regular "man-made" bridge? I would think that mostly pre-vis would address whether there are enough S-turns for the ride (some we're added), and what the sightlines were in case they wanted to shift the orientation slightly. Don't see any reason for them to put hours into animating a log bridge . . .

Pixiedustmaker

Also not happening on the lower bridge.

Not at all. The bridge shown above was the only possible location for the log. Clearly, as I said earlier, the log was cut.

The lower water crossing is part of an upward helix, and will absolutely not feature a log-bridge.

Is this assessment of the possibility of a log bridge just based on the pre-vis, or top secret insider diagrams?

Given the pretty detailed theming around 7DMT (they make the ground look like piles of dirt/rubble around the track), I think we can assume that the track going over "lower bridge" will have some theming to it, otherwise it is just a track. Why not do a rock-work log? They're doing rockwork like crazy, I doubt that rockwork log would cost that much more than a rockwork bridge, given that the talent is onsite already.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom