Mine Ride Construction Update

Tom

Beta Return
I don't think this rig has the electronics to do that (I might be wrong) . . . with older track construction yes, there was issues with tubular rails and bending. But 7DMT was *very* solidly built in a prefab manner, which decreases manufacturing errors and increases lifespan. A lot of the monitoring and measuring of the track pieces was probably done during the installation process, and actually, before the track segments were installed some precise measurements were no doubt made.

Ok, perhaps this specific rig doesn't check that sort of thing. I thought it did because I can see some "stuff" hanging down below the red carriage, but since the photo is small it's hard to tell if those are electronics or just dummy components.

I still imagine they'll continuously check the track, especially for alignment, like where pieces meet and were welded together on-site. During construction, anything could happen. A piece of equipment could bump a section of track and not even know it - but would dent a rail or jostle them a bit.

They may wait until the end to do it all at once, when the dangers are gone, but if they keep up with it as they go, it will be easier to replace/repair.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Since we are on this topic, what do you think is going on in this picture:

DSC07754.jpg

There is a grey device to the left side of the picture clamped to the track that obviously won't be there when it's complete. Some sort of device to help position the track section?

Pixiedustmaker

I still imagine they'll continuously check the track, especially for alignment . . .

Oh, yeah, they're very cognizant of where all the pieces should go and where they are. The whole Dumbo problem with the hole not being big enough is an example of the constructed environment around the nuts and bolt of the ride not having the proper clearance. Embarrassing . . .

Pixiedustmaker

DSC07754.jpg

There is a grey device to the left side of the picture clamped to the track that obviously won't be there when it's complete. Some sort of device to help position the track section?

Good question.

If you look closely you'll see that the bolts securing the track to the concrete pylon (left) don't seem to be fully engaged, and there is space between the concrete support pylon and the track. Hence these guys are installing this section of the track, the grey thing is to support the track during installation, IMHO, it prevents side to side movement, and has horizontal support against gravity. Given then serpentine nature of this custom track, these grey support bars were probably built ahead of time to shorten the time of construction. Shows you how choreographed the construction process can be!

Interesting picture.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Good question.

If you look closely you'll see that the bolts securing the track to the concrete pylon (left) don't seem to be fully engaged, and there is space between the concrete support pylon and the track. Hence these guys are installing this section of the track, the grey thing is to support the track during installation, IMHO, it prevents side to side movement, and has horizontal support against gravity. Given then serpentine nature of this custom track, these grey support bars were probably built ahead of time to shorten the time of construction. Shows you how choreographed the construction process can be!

Interesting picture.

Actually, thinking about this more, I am less sure of what is going on here. The guy on the left has ERMCO on his vest which is an electrical contractor and it looks like the other guy's vest says RCES (Ready Creek Energy Services?) There is also an electrical fish tape on the ground. So they grey thing may still be for track alignment but I don't think that is what these guys are working on. Unless these guys are just wearing vests that were lying around.

No wonder this is taking so long, they have electricians trying to install coaster track! ;)

Tom

Beta Return

DSC07754.jpg

Good question.

Interesting picture.

I concur that it is a sort of temporary brace used while making initial connections. And good catch on the anchor bolts not being secured yet.

However, the base plate of that track support won't ever come into direct contact with the top of the footing. Footings are intentionally held low in all structural steel situations since mass concrete pours are never precise. The final bearing elevation of that base plate needs to be exact in the case of a building (or in this case, flexible). So, they'll use the nuts to level the plate, and then go back and inject non-shrinking grout under each plate. When it sets, it will provide a final bearing surface for the plate, and transfer the load to the footing.

Side note - it always catches me off guard when I see an ERMCO logo on property (see the electrician's vest). ERMCO is actually headquartered in Indianapolis, and I know the owners and VPs personally. I even worked for them for a summer during college. They started a Florida office many years ago, and setup shop on Dopey Drive. Since then, that branch has broken off and is a separate company - but still owned by the branch of the family that started it. Same logo and everything - just called "ERMCO of Florida" legally.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Actually, thinking about this more, I am less sure of what is going on here. The guy on the left has ERMCO on his vest which is an electrical contractor and it looks like the other guy's vest says RCES (Ready Creek Energy Services?) There is also an electrical fish tape on the ground. So they grey thing may still be for track alignment but I don't think that is what these guys are working on. Unless these guys are just wearing vests that were lying around.

No wonder this is taking so long, they have electricians trying to install coaster track! ;)
I spy with my little eye a conduit bender also.

There is definitely electrical work going on here.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I concur that it is a sort of temporary brace used while making initial connections. And good catch on the anchor bolts not being secured yet.

However, the base plate of that track support won't ever come into direct contact with the top of the footing. Footings are intentionally held low in all structural steel situations since mass concrete pours are never precise. The final bearing elevation of that base plate needs to be exact in the case of a building (or in this case, flexible). So, they'll use the nuts to level the plate, and then go back and inject non-shrinking grout under each plate. When it sets, it will provide a final bearing surface for the plate, and transfer the load to the footing.

Side note - it always catches me off guard when I see an ERMCO logo on property (see the electrician's vest). ERMCO is actually headquartered in Indianapolis, and I know the owners and VPs personally. I even worked for them for a summer during college. They started a Florida office many years ago, and setup shop on Dopey Drive. Since then, that branch has broken off and is a separate company - but still owned by the branch of the family that started it. Same logo and everything - just called "ERMCO of Florida" legally.

Here's another picture from Damouse.com where you can see plates attached to the footings before the track has been installed.

DSC07329.jpg

Pixiedustmaker

The integral step with track installation is alignment, which utilizes a lot of players. ERMCO also does, “effective administration and installation”, besides installing electrical. They do telecommunications, as well as being project manages using the LEAN paradigm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_construction

Basically, I would see ERMCO utilizing their management skills and telecommunication skills to coordinate the team of welders, surveyors, computer technicians, needed to make sure that the track is installed properly.

Why Reedy Creek? Well, they do surveying and other engineering work:

Reedy Creek Energy Services offers a range of utility system planning and design solutions. It provides a variety of engineering and surveying services. The company offers wastewater collection, treatment and disposal solutions. Reedy Creek Energy Services also provides a range of landfill, electric and energy management services.

The Reedy Creek guy has a surveying tripod, IMHO. You might well want a surveyor when doing this sort of work, for putting down markers for construction and such, using a GPS device like this:

SKMN_333.jpg

Pixiedustmaker

I've even seen some light poles where the base plate doesn't touch the footing and they didn't inject grout. I was wondering how on earth they'd be able to pour cement to the specification needs for coaster track alignment.

Pixiedustmaker

True! However, I wonder if the conduit bender is being used for something other than electrical work, i.e. bending the grey metal bars for the track supports. There is a construction workers near the grey support who has a piece of steel pipe, which looks like PVC 1/2" electrical conduit, but which could also be the steel in the support structure. I doubt if they used EMT/PVC electrical conduit for the support structure, and I also doubt that they be running conduit while working on the track, but I guess there is electrical fish tape . . . very interesting.

Tom

Beta Return
I've even seen some light poles where the base plate doesn't touch the footing and they didn't inject grout. I was wondering how on earth they'd be able to pour cement to the specification needs for coaster track alignment.

Well, light poles weigh so little (relatively speaking), they don't typically grout underneath them. This also aides in replacing the poles later. The strength of the anchor bolts and nuts is more than enough to bear the load of a light pole. They just drop the shroud around them in most cases.

Tom

Beta Return
Here's another picture from Damouse.com where you can see plates attached to the footings before the track has been installed.

DSC07329.jpg

If you're referring to the footings on the right, those are plywood templates that they used when installing the anchor bolts. You cut a piece of plywood and drill four holes in the exact locations of the bolts, so that when they're set into the concrete, you don't have to wallow them around and guess where they need to be.

They will then also use them to set the leveling nuts to their approximate finish elevation, making it a bit quicker when setting the steel itself.

Tom

Beta Return
The integral step with track installation is alignment, which utilizes a lot of players. ERMCO also does, “effective administration and installation”, besides installing electrical. They do telecommunications, as well as being project manages using the LEAN paradigm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean_construction

Basically, I would see ERMCO utilizing their management skills and telecommunication skills to coordinate the team of welders, surveyors, computer technicians, needed to make sure that the track is installed properly.

Why Reedy Creek? Well, they do surveying and other engineering work:

Reedy Creek Energy Services offers a range of utility system planning and design solutions. It provides a variety of engineering and surveying services. The company offers wastewater collection, treatment and disposal solutions. Reedy Creek Energy Services also provides a range of landfill, electric and energy management services.

The Reedy Creek guy has a surveying tripod, IMHO. You might well want a surveyor when doing this sort of work, for putting down markers for construction and such, using a GPS device like this:

My guess was that ERMCO was simply installing the PLC control conduit around the track base as they installed the track. There are miles of cables that follow the entire path of the track for use in controlling brakes and monitoring the hundreds of sensors along the track.

RCES guy was definitely shooting grade to set elevations of the bearing plates. Likely not using GPS though, as it's still not as accurate as it's advertised as being. Most likely using a transit or Total Station.

Pixiedustmaker

If you're referring to the footings on the right, those are plywood templates that they used when installing the anchor bolts. You cut a piece of plywood and drill four holes in the exact locations of the bolts, so that when they're set into the concrete, you don't have to wallow them around and guess where they need to be.

It's amazing that the anchor bolts are installed before the tracks as they need to be dead-on with very little margin for error . . . I would think that would be a lot of precision survey work. I guess for the cement to cure they need to obviously do this work first.

Tom

Beta Return

I'm not seeing the conduit bender.

But I did just notice the welder leads connected to the track and draped over the concrete wall.

Pixiedustmaker

My guess was that ERMCO was simply installing the PLC control conduit around the track base as they installed the track. There are miles of cables that follow the entire path of the track for use in controlling brakes and monitoring the hundreds of sensors along the track.

So maybe most of these guys are installing conduit, and somebody will come by later and take the track brace off. I wondering if the conduit carries just low-voltage for sensors, and wouldn't need to buried as deep as line voltage? Doesn't seem to be a lot of digging . . .

Tom

Beta Return
It's amazing that the anchor bolts are installed before the tracks as they need to be dead-on with very little margin for error . . . I would think that would be a lot of precision survey work.

Setting anchor bolts correctly is literally one of the most difficult tasks in a construction project. Many trades will argue that fact, but being a G.C. I've seen every task completed....and getting anchor bolts in the exact correct location while pouring hundreds of yards of concrete around them is very difficult.

You make the plywood template, and draw an exact set of crosshairs on it, in addition to drilling the holes and double-nutting the bolts through the plywood. In low-budget operations, you'll pour the concrete then "wallow" the set of bolts down into the concrete while it's still wet, and vibrate the concrete around them to fill in any voids. You use string lines and live surveying to align the drawn crosshairs in the X an Y directions.

In high-end jobs (like this one), you build a complete wooden form around each footing, and build some supports across the top of the forms that the bolt template suspends from. That way they're sighted in well in advance, using precision surveying instruments, and you just have to be sure not to bump them when pouring in the concrete. You still give them a second check after you pour that footing, before it sets up.

Changes in code in the last several years prevent steel base plates from being torched during installation to adjust for an out-of-place bolt...without a professional engineer being on site to supervise the modification. They don't really get to do that with a coaster, so if a bolt is off, they likely tear out the footing and start over, or drill out the bad bolt(s) and then epoxy in a new set.

Tom

Beta Return
So maybe most of these guys are installing conduit, and somebody will come by later and take the track brace off. I wondering if the conduit carries just low-voltage for sensors, and wouldn't need to buried as deep as line voltage? Doesn't seem to be a lot of digging . . .

Yeah, if it's low voltage it can be anywhere. If that area will have decorative rockwork, they can just strap the conduit to the track supports. If it's a landscaped area, they'll go 6-12" deep just to make sure horticulture doesn't hit it later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom