Mine Ride Construction Update

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I read spring 2014 for the opening but will May be a save bet on going??
Anybody got some more news on this?

There is no way to know at this point. Even if they are on track to open in May, you never know what could go wrong, especially once they start testing the ride.

estam

They should know, although i can see that they do not like us to know.
i'm a engineer myself and i would not be able to have a open deadline.
My customers would kill me :)
just had some hope that they had given some more precise date line somewhere along the line.
We keep it at spring 2014 for now, I haven't decided which weeks to go anyway.
Have some weeks still for that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
They should know, although i can see that they do not like us to know.
i'm a engineer myself and i would not be able to have a open deadline.
My customers would kill me :)
just had some hope that they had given some more precise date line somewhere along the line.
We keep it at spring 2014 for now, I haven't decided which weeks to go anyway.
Have some weeks still for that.

I can understand them not wanting to put a firm date on this yet. I am sure they have an internal date they are shooting for but you never know what could come up to delay that especially when you are dealing with the construction of a complete unique structure. You are also dealing with a new ride system that could require an extended period of test and adjust. Last thing they want to do if give a date to the public and then miss that date.

Next Big Thing

They have said 2nd fiscal quarter of 2014, which is usually The beginning of January to the End of March (or around that time frame). I'd probably look for it to be somewhere in March as they'll probably want to make a little bit of noise with it, but they'll want it open for Spring Break.

Soft opening is a totally up in the air though. Could start any time in between then, hopefully we'll get more specifics on an opening at D23.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
They have said 2nd fiscal quarter of 2014, which is usually The beginning of January to the End of March (or around that time frame). I'd probably look for it to be somewhere in March as they'll probably want to make a little bit of noise with it, but they'll want it open for Spring Break.

Soft opening is a totally up in the air though. Could start any time in between then, hopefully we'll get more specifics on an opening at D23.

It was originally 2nd quarter, but recently that have been saying "Spring 2014" which would lead me to believe it's going to be later in the Spring.

AmongMadPeople

It was originally 2nd quarter, but recently that have been saying "Spring 2014" which would lead me to believe it's going to be later in the Spring.

Wizarding World of HP officially opened June 18th, one of the last day of spring 2010. Fulfills the promise of "spring" even though few people think of spring as extending in June.

They soft opened most of Storybook Circus in March 2012 to coincide with spring break crowds, but there wasn't much "new" to cause unforeseen delays. I'll be surprised if the Mine Train is soft opening by March.

estam

Looking at the last photo series its giving me a mixed view.
Love to see a aerial view again, haven't seen one for sometime.
The part near the gates made a lot of progress but at the circus side they seem to have at lot to do still.
Closing up the frame work seems to have started again which is a good sign.
If i would compair the work still needed to the time frame little mermaid took they still need till October.
3 to 4 months to finish it would make sence so March can be done.
Testing the trains can be done as soon as the tracks are free and the control system functional.
( love to see that part as it's more my field of work)
Guess that november makes a good candidate for starting that.

tl77

Right, the rockwork is used to hide the track supports.

Ok I see you point, I guess I should have said this rock work is "functional" instead of "structural" but in this case the rock work and the structural steel are one in the same...

So far this is the only place on the ride that I've seen were the rock work is being applied directly to the track supports instead of the separate rebar mesh they use everywhere else, and that's probably because this is a curved piece of the track at the bottom of a corkscrew turn where the vibrations and g-forces from the cars will be stronger than anywhere else in the ride.

At any rate, the chunks of brick and cement aren't the finished look, I think this is just a sturdier stand in for the rebar mesh

lazyboy97o

Ok I see you point, I guess I should have said this rock work is "functional" instead of "structural" but in this case the rock work and the structural steel are one in the same...

So far this is the only place on the ride that I've seen were the rock work is being applied directly to the track supports instead of the separate rebar mesh they use everywhere else, and that's probably because this is a curved piece of the track at the bottom of a corkscrew turn where the vibrations and g-forces from the cars will be stronger than anywhere else in the ride.

At any rate, the chunks of brick and cement aren't the finished look, I think this is just a sturdier stand in for the rebar mesh
Coasters all over the world for decades now have sufficed with tubular steel, even for their curves.

stichrules

I sorry but I need to comment here, I am an engineer and this cement work you are seeing is strickly cosmetic. It has no structual or functional value. It is added pruely to hide the structual supports. It has no other purpose. If you go back and look at previous pictures you will see concrete blocks which are cored and poored into the ground and the track supports bolt to these blocks. Anything added after the track is bolted in place is strickly for looks.

tl77

I sorry but I need to comment here, I am an engineer and this cement work you are seeing is strickly cosmetic. It has no structual or functional value. It is added pruely to hide the structual supports. It has no other purpose. If you go back and look at previous pictures you will see concrete blocks which are cored and poored into the ground and the track supports bolt to these blocks. Anything added after the track is bolted in place is strickly for looks.

You may be an engineer but I am an artist, and the "function" of the cement, is as a base layer to attach the cosmetic rock work to the on the steel of the coaster track

the cement in this instance provides what is called "tooth", or a rough surface that you add to your "steel" armature, in order to make the outer, cosmetic, or sculptural elements adhere to the steel armature

So in artistic/sculptural this cement layer would be both "functional" and "structural" because it is needed to hold the rock work sculpture together

lazyboy97o

You may be an engineer but I am an artist, and the "function" of the cement, is as a base layer to attach the cosmetic rock work to the on the steel of the coaster track

the cement in this instance provides what is called "tooth", or a rough surface that you add to your "steel" armature, in order to make the outer, cosmetic, or sculptural elements adhere to the steel armature

So in artistic/sculptural this cement layer would be both "functional" and "structural" because it is needed to hold the rock work sculpture together
Being structural for the rock work is entirely different than being structural for the coaster. You're just reaching to supporting your continued assertation that the coaster system is something special.

Tom

Beta Return

But that's what the rebar and mesh cages are for, when construction professional faux rockwork like this. In one of the earlier photos, you can clearly see the rebar cage sticking out the left end of this odd-looking rockwork.

They just start applying the cement to the cage using a gunnite machine and trowels. I've never seen them spray on a layer, then throw a bunch of piece of brick and concrete block into it, which is what these photos appear to show.

raymusiccity

There was also a turnstyle at the CR & Poly monorail stations. You had to show your resort ID in order to board the monorail. You also had to show your resort ID at the MK monorail station in order to board the resort line.

There's a great video on YouTube of the grand opening of the Contemporary Hotel. Bob Hope did the honors and got off the monorail via a temporary wooden staircase!

TP2000

There's a great video on YouTube of the grand opening of the Contemporary Hotel. Bob Hope did the honors and got off the monorail via a temporary wooden staircase!

With a pretty young tour guide on each arm! And then he proceeded to make a few off-color jokes that would never get by the Humorless Politically Correct Humor Police today. Or at the very least, get by the legal department from Goodyear Tire.

"Thank you girls... wait for me in Adventureland." :cool:

It's a very funny video to watch, and to see how much we've changed.

raymusiccity

With a pretty young tour guide on each arm! And then he proceeded to make a few off-color jokes that would never get by the Humorless Politically Correct Humor Police today. Or at the very least, get by the legal department from Goodyear Tire.

You don't see them carrying 'riding crops' anymore, either !
"Thank you girls... wait for me in Adventureland." :cool:

It's a very funny video to watch, and to see how much we've changed.

tl77

But that's what the rebar and mesh cages are for, when construction professional faux rockwork like this. In one of the earlier photos, you can clearly see the rebar cage sticking out the left end of this odd-looking rockwork.

They just start applying the cement to the cage using a gunnite machine and trowels. I've never seen them spray on a layer, then throw a bunch of piece of brick and concrete block into it, which is what these photos appear to show.

So now you saying the same thing I've been saying all along that the cement is the base layer for the rock work? that's awesome, I'm glad we're finally on the same page now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom