Mine Ride Construction Update

DocMcHulk

InsideTheMagic
According to Disney’s new press release, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train to open spring 2014. Longer than expected. More to come.

tl77

It's only one piece at a time if you only have one worker working. If you have two workers working, you can do two pieces at a time, one over here, and one over there. And, I know this is deep, but if you have three workers working, you can do three pieces at a time. Shocking, I know.

The empire state building was built in just over a year.
The disney Fantasy was built in less than a year.

Both of those projects were immensely more complicated than this little coaster (which I think will be quite nice, but I digress). Seriously, dude. Wake up. Disney has chosen this pace. It could be done faster, it could be done slower. Disney wants it done at THIS pace.

They have to keep each piece in alignment with the last piece, that's why they have to go one piece at a time, it's not just for the look of it but the structural integrity of it, and that's the slow part

The Empire State building was built by basically just repeating the same floor over and over again, but every piece of this Mine Train is like a custom made piece it's more like a sculpture than a building

And I'm guess you don't have any actual proof that "Disney is choosing to do it at THIS pace" because that seems like a completely irrational and idiotic thing to do

orky8

They have to keep each piece in alignment with the last piece, that's why they have to go one piece at a time, it's not just for the look of it but the structural integrity of it, and that's the slow part

The Empire State building was built by basically just repeating the same floor over and over again, but every piece of this Mine Train is like a custom made piece it's more like a sculpture than a building

And I'm guess you don't have any actual proof that "Disney is choosing to do it at THIS pace" because that seems like a completely irrational and idiotic thing to do

You have no idea what you are talking about and are making stuff up as you go. The front of the mine has moved a snails pace. They could be laying the framing for the rockwork in several locations at once --that is how most projets work. You honestly think building this ride is more complicated than building a thousand story building? or building a 1000 foot long cruise ship? Disney Magic and Wonder had each half of the cruise ship built in two entirely different countries and then were floated to meet each other -- everything had to join perfectly, and it did. Yet, you foolishly believe that they have to build the rockwork linerally and can't have multiple sections going at once because then it will be structurally unsound or won't line up?

You are beyond help. You can love Disney and, at the same time, realize that not every decision Disney makes is in the best interest of its clientelle. And I'm not saying Disney choosing this pace is irrational and idotic -- quite the contrary -- it is rational (but idiotic) as it allows them to spread out the construction costs and do it cheaper by not using third shift labor.

lazyboy97o

Steel coasters are built all of the time starting at multiple points and then building out from each end. That means they're getting built at more than one piece at a time. Yes, the mine track is a custom track, but so are many, many other steel coasters. Have you seen the twisted layout of The Smiler?

The biggest proof is that from the beginning, before the coaster was in the project, Disney was saying that the opening of what was then the Fantasy Forest would be done in phases over several years.

Lee

Adventurer
I thought spring 2014 was the original time frame? What was it before?
Somewhere around here I posted an internal timeframe from before construction started.

The original opening has always been for Q2 of fiscal 2014 (Jan-March). The "spring" date sounds like the official grand opening, which would be preceded by several weeks of softs and previews.

Give it another year or so.

cba

In my opinion, it's looking like a year from now or maybe a little less. It looks pretty cool, but this is the only thing I'm looking forward to, and I have to wait 11-12 months. Really? I'd like to take a Fastpass for the wait time.

tl77

You have no idea what you are talking about and are making stuff up as you go. The front of the mine has moved a snails pace. They could be laying the framing for the rockwork in several locations at once --that is how most projets work. You honestly think building this ride is more complicated than building a thousand story building? or building a 1000 foot long cruise ship? Disney Magic and Wonder had each half of the cruise ship built in two entirely different countries and then were floated to meet each other -- everything had to join perfectly, and it did. Yet, you foolishly believe that they have to build the rockwork linerally and can't have multiple sections going at once because then it will be structurally unsound or won't line up?

You are beyond help. You can love Disney and, at the same time, realize that not every decision Disney makes is in the best interest of its clientelle. And I'm not saying Disney choosing this pace is irrational and idotic -- quite the contrary -- it is rational (but idiotic) as it allows them to spread out the construction costs and do it cheaper by not using third shift labor.

I know Disney has been pulling some cheap stunts lately to save a buck, like "napkins" and what not... But what you've just spewed out here sounds more like someone defending some weird conspiracy theory than a logical opinion, because none of the facts which you are desperately and angrily trying to put forth, apply in any way to work that's actually being done in the Mine Train construction site

tl77

Steel coasters are built all of the time starting at multiple points and then building out from each end. That means they're getting built at more than one piece at a time. Yes, the mine track is a custom track, but so are many, many other steel coasters. Have you seen the twisted layout of The Smiler?

The biggest proof is that from the beginning, before the coaster was in the project, Disney was saying that the opening of what was then the Fantasy Forest would be done in phases over several years.

I really don't disagree whith anything you've said here, but I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make

lazyboy97o

I really don't disagree whith anything you've said here, but I honestly don't understand the point you're trying to make
That Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is not using irregular track, so it can be built just like any other steel coaster

The second is a question you repeatedly refuse to address. What was the need for all of Fantasyland to be done by 2014 before the coaster was announced? You say it's 2014 because of the coaster construction, but why would it have been 2014 even without the coaster?

tl77

That Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is not using irregular track, so it can be built just like any other steel coaster

The second is a question you repeatedly refuse to address. What was the need for all of Fantasyland to be done by 2014 before the coaster was announced? You say it's 2014 because of the coaster construction, but why would it have been 2014 even without the coaster?

When the blueprints first leaked in Sept 2009 Pixie Hollow was set to a fairly small attraction between the Barnstormer and the original location of the Double Dumbo
blueprint.jpg

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...12sep2009-new-fantasyland-blueprint-plans.htm

In March of 2010 when the photo of model was released, Pixie Hollow got much bigger and was set to open in 2013 as phase 2 of construction, because it was going now be a much more elaborate, 2 level, rock work, structure, and being in the back corner all alone it would have just made the most sense to do it last
ftl226463LARGE.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ns-with-groundbreaking-at-magic-kingdom-park/

When Pixie Hollow was cancelled in favor of the Mine Train no one seemed to know when exactly the Mine Train would be finished until mid 2012 when they finally hung up signs on the construction walls saying that the Mine Train would open 2014

I don't see how the 2 different projects, in 2 different locations, with apparently 2 different timelines, are related to one another

lazyboy97o

I don't see how the 2 different projects, in 2 different locations, with apparently 2 different timelines, are related to one another
And you won't until you realize there are no technical hurdles that require more time. It's all about budgeting. That's all. If I say I'm going to spend $100 this week on my kitchen remodel and $100 next week, that's not a technical barrier, it's a financial decision.

tl77

And you won't until you realize there are no technical hurdles that require more time. It's all about budgeting. That's all. If I say I'm going to spend $100 this week on my kitchen remodel and $100 next week, that's not a technical barrier, it's a financial decision.

According the link I posted above from the Disney parks blog from March 2010, the Pixie Hollow version of the project was set to be finished in 2013, BoG, Little Mermaid, and the Double Dumbo, were finished on that original schedule. The Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty M&Gs would have opened last year as well and Pixie Hollow would have been finished this year 2013

The fact that they changed the plans for the site after they started construction, and the fact the Mine Train main was developed after wards and had to be built amongst the existing construction site, is main reason the Mine Train is taking until 2014.
The money they would have spent on Pixie Hollow and the Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty M&G buildings was reallocated to finance the Mine Train

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom