Mine Ride Construction Update

Tom

Beta Return
Yeah. The separate load and unload platforms should help immensely.

I think Everest tries for a 60-second dispatch interval, though with a higher-capacity train it obviously has a higher throughput.

-Rob

Two platforms definitely helps, although BTMR is pretty efficient, even when you just consider one side. I don't have numbers, but it's never felt like the train has sat at a platform for 60 seconds, or even 40.

Jabbas

Wow, so it seems like there is alot more to be done than we originally thought. I'm glad I skipped MK yesterday. I can just back when it's opened or my upcoming summer trip.

JLipnick

Wow, so it seems like there is alot more to be done than we originally thought. I'm glad I skipped MK yesterday. I can just back when it's opened or my upcoming summer trip.
From that last video, it does seem like there is a lot to finish at ground level around the queue area. My assumption is they want to finish the mountain in its entirety so they can get the scaffolding down. that way they no longer need the heavy equipment on scene and can then focus on the pavement and queue areas. my guess is for soft openings the first week of march (no inside info; just a hunch).

roj2323

From that last video, it does seem like there is a lot to finish at ground level around the queue area. My assumption is they want to finish the mountain in its entirety so they can get the scaffolding down. that way they no longer need the heavy equipment on scene and can then focus on the pavement and queue areas. my guess is for soft openings the first week of march (no inside info; just a hunch).

Hardscapes can go in very quickly. Even if it's a large area all of the concrete can be laid in a night and it can be walked on safely (without tearing up the surface) in 48-72 hours. I suspect they will stretch the pour over 3 days due to control joints and the custom stamping involved but we are talking a max of a week once the area is prepped.

Additionally Most concrete can be walked on gently after 12 hours but they wouldn't want to subject a green (non fully cured-fresh concrete) slab to major foot traffic before that 48-72 hours is up. The workers could go back in to work however with some precautions taken. So it's not wasted work days.

roj2323<-- Former concrete finisher of 8+ years

tl77

Sorry if this has been answered, but is the queue area part of the cottage? Or does the mine train run through a cottage?

The mine train runs passed the cottage at the end of the ride and is supposed to house some kind of as final show scene, but from the queue it's just part of the background/landscape

Doug1985

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've never really though of it. What exactly is a soft opening? What does it mean for park guests? Will we be able to ride it? I'm just curious because we have a trip planned for 3/29-4/5. I'm hoping like crazy we can get on at least once!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but I've never really though of it. What exactly is a soft opening? What does it mean for park guests? Will we be able to ride it? I'm just curious because we have a trip planned for 3/29-4/5. I'm hoping like crazy we can get on at least once!
People can feel free to correct me on this (and it's the internet, I'm sure they will!)
A soft opening is an "unofficial" opening. They'll let park guests on it to ride, but it's not guaranteed to be open at any given time, or for any period of time. It can be an hour, and if you are lucky enough to be next to it, it could be open, and it could close in a heartbeat.
It's a time for them to test out the ride with real guests. Train their operations staff, try everything out.

lazyboy97o

People can feel free to correct me on this (and it's the internet, I'm sure they will!)
A soft opening is an "unofficial" opening. They'll let park guests on it to ride, but it's not guaranteed to be open at any given time, or for any period of time. It can be an hour, and if you are lucky enough to be next to it, it could be open, and it could close in a heartbeat.
It's a time for them to test out the ride with real guests. Train their operations staff, try everything out.
I will just add to this by saying that Disney seems to like getting to a full operational day before opening. So we should see some full to near to full days of operation at least towards the end of April.

Thumper14

I will be there the last week in April. A chance ride before the grand opening, would be great. I currently cannot use the advanced FP+ system yet!
I am holding out lots of hope to get Magic Bands even though I am at the not so Disney Swan Resort. It is in the resort drop down list in MDE-is that a good sign?

Can I have a Magic Band and ride the Mine Train-please!  

DisneyConstruction23

It basically is a ride opening for people to ride who are at the park, but it is not advertised or promoted. They do this to test the ride before it officially opens. This allows them to close the ride etc. when they see a problem and take care of it. Usually you will see soft openings just to get all the kinks out before releasing to the public that the ride is open.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I will be there the last week in April. A chance ride before the grand opening, would be great. I currently cannot use the advanced FP+ system yet!
I am holding out lots of hope to get Magic Bands even though I am at the not so Disney Swan Resort. It is in the resort drop down list in MDE-is that a good sign?

Can I have a Magic Band and ride the Mine Train-please!  

It's not likely they you would be able to reserve the ride during soft openings anyway.

Thumper14

It's not likely they you would be able to reserve the ride during soft openings anyway.

I know, and that is the great equalizer! Unless I do get a Magic Band and able to use advanced FP+, then I want first grabs when they are available. I love soft openings, unless I am unlucky enough to be there for the AP preview day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom