Mine Ride Construction Update

nc_disneyfreak

During one of the Fantasyland grand opening presentations Staggs said "Spring 2014" and based on the pace of construction that seems on target.
well lets hope so...as of today my family and I are due to arrive at WDW on april 26th, 2014 so im keeping fingers crossed for a march or eaaarrrllllyyy april opening lol

Genie of the Lamp

Do you know about when that would put a soft opening for it or if there will be one for it?

Wouldn't suprise me if they started these phased soft openings starting around MLK Jr. Day in 2014 cause you think about it, for LM, and BATB area, they started the first soft opening around mid October if I'm correct in which opened on December 6th. So this could be a possibility.

Magic Lamp

It's ridiculous how long this project is taking. As far as I'm concerned, this ride should be done by Labor Day. Dragging it out another year plus is just nuts.
There are sooooo many details to be done.

First, they need all the permits, which don't fly in on a daily basis, then all the structures, wires, meshes, etc. need to be carefully set up, since they're recreating a natural mound and not a square house with a few details stuck on, that'll take some time. Then between pouring all the cement and molding the plaster, there's a long wait time for it all to dry considering they're in a subtropic climate. Add the details and animatronics inside the ride, a well as the ride structure itself, which has to be perfect in every bolt and detail, and you've got a highly complicated construction venture.

You really need to cut them some slack for doing their best to build this ride in the shortest amount of time possible, and since it's never been built before, there are a lot of "will it blend work" decisions to be made while building, and that can expand the construction time considerably.

spacemt354

Chili's

First, they need all the permits, which don't fly in on a daily basis, then all the structures, wires, meshes, etc. need to be carefully set up, since they're recreating a natural mound and not a square house with a few details stuck on, that'll take some time. Then between pouring all the cement and molding the plaster, there's a long wait time for it all to dry considering they're in a subtropic climate. Add the details and animatronics inside the ride, a well as the ride structure itself, which has to be perfect in every bolt and detail, and you've got a highly complicated construction venture.

You really need to cut them some slack for doing their best to build this ride in the shortest amount of time possible, and since it's never been built before, there are a lot of "will it blend work" decisions to be made while building, and that can expand the construction time considerably.

Epcot was built in roughly the same amount of time it is taking them to build a well themed kiddie coaster. and Uni is building attractions left and right. I don't cut them any slack. They set the bar high themselves.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The Mine ride does have a complex exterior, but I do not believe they are building it "in the shortest amount of time possible", I think they are building at a pace they have chosen, probably to save money. Look at the Tangled restroom area. They started that in 5/2011 and will probably finish in the next month or two, so that is 2 years. Mine ride will likely take 2 1/2 years to complete. No way the Tangled area should take as long as the Mine Ride so they have clearly chosen to build that at a slower pace for a reason. I believe they could also build the Mine Ride faster if they choose to. There is actually an on-going discussion about this topic on the General Discussion board.

cheezbat

The whole reason they're taking so long is not because it's so complex, but it gives guests something 'new' to come back and see in 2014...seeing as how there are no other projects in the works for the next few years.

JeffH

Maybe they could designate that section as the "Wall-E" attraction...the rubble of Earth after it became unlivable. At least they 'somewhat' decorated the walls from the green that they originally were, but I would have preferred a tall picture scrim like they use on the buildings nowadays when they are being renovated (which I applaud them for)...a simple scrim of a forest would have lent to the ambiance of the area, or a castle wall, or (conversely) a simple lake mirroring what was on the opposite side of the construction (that would be REAL cool).

Tom

Beta Return
I'm not even thinking about the inside, they still have a long way to go on the outside.

They do indeed.

And we all need to remember Mermaid. It looked almost 100% complete on the outside, and looked that way for many months while they worked indoors.

They won't install a single bit of electronics inside until the structure is completely weather-tight and climate-controlled. It takes a long time to get to that stage when you're putting together an erector set that's covered in troweled on rocks, with HVAC equipment hiding in among everything.

muteki

It took them less time to build a mountain (EE), than it is taking to build a hill. Heck, DL itself was built in a year, so they can do it if they want to.

Wiki says EE took 3 years, though it had the benefit of being at an easily accessible edge of the park instead of in the middle of public space.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wiki says EE took 3 years, though it had the benefit of being at an easily accessible edge of the park instead of in the middle of public space.

EE took about 33 months to build (7/03 - 4/06) that's counting to the official open not the soft open.
If the mine ride opens sometime in March 2014 then it will be 31 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom