Mine Ride Construction Update

Genie of the Lamp

With further research I see that this statement is not entirely true. I will look stuff up before I make a joke next time ;)

Yeah we don't need the future CEO of Disney here making jokes on false facts be it with the interstate or part of the company he/she wishes to run.;) Which is why they need someone more mature and experienced to someday run the company and that is..........MOI!:D Anyhow back to the thread topic, I love the pics @wdwmagic took today of the Mine train. I'm excited and loving the progress that's going on with it seeing all that scaffolding and ride track being installed. Looking forward to those s/z curves that will be implemented in this ride here.

Taylor

Yeah we don't need the future CEO of Disney here making jokes on false facts be it with the interstate or part of the company he/she wishes to run.;) Which is why they need someone more mature and experienced to someday run the company and that is..........MOI!:D Anyhow back to the thread topic, I love the pics @wdwmagic took today of the Mine train. I'm excited and loving the progress that's going on with it seeing all that scaffolding and ride track being installed. Looking forward to those s/z curves that will be implemented in this ride here.
Dangit you found out about my plan

tl77

I think it's moving along pretty well, it looks the Little Mermaid side will be open much soon that the Mine Train itself

Just going by the the state of those buildings, compared to the new Tangled restroom buildings at the same state of construction from a few months ago, I'd guess the Mermaid side could be finished by this summer

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think it's moving along pretty well, it looks the Little Mermaid side will be open much soon that the Mine Train itself

Just going by the the state of those buildings, compared to the new Tangled restroom buildings at the same state of construction from a few months ago, I'd guess the Mermaid side could be finished by this summer
No surprise that they would speed along the construction of the gift shops.

tl77

l will take the contrary position here, I don't think it's coming along well at all. We get these update pictures every couple weeks and recently I have had a hard time spotting what has changed between one update and the next.

Well I'm just now starting to see the "shape" of the mountain in all the rebar/mesh/frame, but you're right they're not going to set any speed records at the pace they're going

Alexis

So the Mine Train is a rollercoaster, anyone know how fast its estimated to go if there are any drops?. I really don't like rollercoasters, do you guys think I'll be okay on this one?

Genie of the Lamp

So the Mine Train is a rollercoaster, anyone know how fast its estimated to go if there are any drops?. I really don't like rollercoasters, do you guys think I'll be okay on this one?

This ride will be what people on here are classifying as a "kiddie coaster" meaning that the thrill level of this attraction will have a mix of BTMR and Barnstormer. So think of it as a mild thrill attraction. I'd imagine the coaster will have speed levels correlating to SM (25-35 mph.). I think there are supposed to be about 2-3 drops in this ride (one in beginning, one near the end, and maybe another but not sure). You'll be okay to ride it when it's functional and open.

Alexis

This ride will be what people on here are classifying as a "kiddie coaster" meaning that the thrill level of this attraction will have a mix of BTMR and Barnstormer. So think of it as a mild thrill attraction. I'd imagine the coaster will have speed levels correlating to SM (25-35 mph.). I think there are supposed to be about 2-3 drops in this ride (one in beginning, one near the end, and maybe another but not sure). You'll be okay to ride it when it's functional and open.
Thanks for letting me know. I've never been on a mild or regular rollercoaster ever in my life. I'm tempted to ride the Barnstormer next time I visit, but I'm wondering if the speed will make my stomach grumblee!!!

openendedsky

l will take the contrary position here, I don't think it's coming along well at all. We get these update pictures every couple weeks and recently I have had a hard time spotting what has changed between one update and the next.
Pretty much. At first I was excited to see the updating post, but then I actually looked at the photos and was thinking, well. This doesn't really look any different from the last update sans a few small details.

Genie of the Lamp

Thanks for letting me know. I've never been on a mild or regular rollercoaster ever in my life. I'm tempted to ride the Barnstormer next time I visit, but I'm wondering if the speed will make my stomach grumblee!!!

Well don't risk it but I definitely think you won't get sick on this ride. Just have to watch though cause this ride will contain some s/z curve sequences that cause the mine cars to sway side to side, forward, and backward. Here's a simulating vid Attractions Magazine took a while back previewing what this attraction will be like:

Skip to 0:10

Alexis

Well don't risk it but I definitely think you won't get sick on this ride. Just have to watch though cause this ride will contain some s/z curve sequences that cause the mine cars to sway side to side, forward, and backward. Here's a simulating vid Attractions Magazine took a while back previewing what this attraction will be like:

Skip to 0:10

Thanks for the information and for posting the video, I really appreciate it! I guess I'll have to see it in person when it gets completed!

Genie of the Lamp

Thanks for the information and for posting the video, I really appreciate it! I guess I'll have to see it in person when it gets completed!

Everyone should go on this ride in order to analyze/critique the ride with full judgement. I know I will the next time I go to the World. It'd be nice to if we were able to get a sneak peak for some of the AA's they're constructing for this ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well I'm just now starting to see the "shape" of the mountain in all the rebar/mesh/frame, but you're right they're not going to set any speed records at the pace they're going

You can definitly see the shape coming up the back from the LM area, but they don't seem to be doing much on the other side where the queues will be. I assume this will eventually start to get a framework to provide some shape to the front side.

I am not a roller coaster fan, Big Thunder is right at the limit of intensity that I can handle so I am actually looking forward to this since it will be a coaster I am willing to ride.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I've often wondered if the reason for the projected 'late' opening is driven by the fact that the attraction uses a relatively new variation roller-coaster vehicle technology. I don't think the swinging above the rail car model has been done before (or at least not much). This could very well be Disney hedging their bets to be sure they have plenty of time for lots of test and adjust at the end in case they run into technical issues with the ride system.

If things work as designed and they don't have a lot of issues they could easily open earlier (call it a preview for accounting purposes if needed) but they don't want to be too aggressive on the date and then miss it. I would imagine the major delays on Test Track 1.0 caused by new ride system/ride control issues are still fresh in their minds and they're trying to be sure they have a cushion in the schedule in case they have last minute issues.

Next Big Thing

They do indeed.

And we all need to remember Mermaid. It looked almost 100% complete on the outside, and looked that way for many months while they worked indoors.

They won't install a single bit of electronics inside until the structure is completely weather-tight and climate-controlled. It takes a long time to get to that stage when you're putting together an erector set that's covered in troweled on rocks, with HVAC equipment hiding in among everything.
The one difference is I don't think there will be nearly as much to do on the inside for Mine Train as Mermaid. Not to say there won't be work to do, but I think it will be much quicker to complete.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I know the mine train addition was added later in the project of New Fantasy Land, but why didn't they ramp up construction on it to make up for lost time? Is it more cost effective to build slowly? Even considering that it is new technology they are using I would think they would want the mountain part built ASAP so they could begin construction of the coaster and work out the kinks. It seems as if so little has been built since the announcement of it(over a year ago). Are they trying to build up suspense or is the ride system so high tech that it really needs this much time, and if that is the case, ...it better blow my socks off. Considering how quickly Uni is putting in Transformers 3-D and it looks very sophisticated and complex to build, I don't see what excuse Disney has for the severe lag in build time. I'm not an engineer though, so forgive me if I am missing something.

Tom

Beta Return
I know the mine train addition was added later in the project of New Fantasy Land, but why didnt they ramp up construction on it to make up for lost time? Is it more cost effective to build slowly? Even considering that it is new technology they are using I would think they would want the mountain part built ASAP so they could begin construction of the coaster and work out the kinks. It seems as if so little has been built since the announcement of it.(over a year ago) Are they trying to build up suspense or is the ride system so high tech that it really needs this much time, and if that is the case, ...it better blow my socks off. Considering how quickly Uni is putting in Transformers 3-D and it looks very sophisticated and complex to build, I dont see what excuses Disney has for the severe lag in build time. Im not an engineer though, so forgive me if I am missing something.

They're just trying to allow as many guests as possible to see the construction, look at all the murals and promo artwork, and get them excited about it.....so that they come back in a year or two to check out the "new ride".

Universal needs guests all the time. And they are trying desperately to catch up with, and possibly overtake, Disney. So they pay a huge premium to build something in months instead of years - because they need it open NOW, while Disney needs to build reasons to come back.....since they can't rely on their traditions and standards anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom