Mine Ride Construction Update

Pumbaa1222

These pics are taken over the wall? Does anyone have any idea why they have built another wall, this time facing the queue? What would that pathway be?

tl77

Snapped this pic the other day. You can see people working inside the cottage, or whatever it is. Still a lot of work to be done though. It was doing a lot of test runs, empty trains of course, no sand bags, water sacks ect....

It also looks like they are getting ready to pour the concert walk way in between these 2 sets of construction walls

Mania4

Here are some photos taken over the weekend. Also interesting to note they have posted a internal casting call for host/hostess to apply for the SDMT. Looks a late-February early March soft opening and Late-March Grand Opening.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 211

bhg469

I heard buzz of a 2 part drop for the coaster and lots of excitement about it. Amazing how these guys keep coming up with such innovation. Just when you think your drop is done, BAM! Another drop!!!! I say we should just build a big hill that has the most drops contained in one drop put of any ride anywhere. Its genius!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I heard buzz of a 2 part drop for the coaster and lots of excitement about it. Amazing how these guys keep coming up with such innovation. Just when you think your drop is done, BAM! Another drop!!!! I say we should just build a big hill that has the most drops contained in one drop put of any ride anywhere. Its genius!

Yes, the drop at after the second lift hill has two parts to it, but based on the testing video if doesn't appear like it's going to add much to the excitement since it appears to just slow down the drop. Unless they are referring to something else.

bhg469

Yes, the drop at after the second lift hill has two parts to it, but based on the testing video if doesn't appear like it's going to add much to the excitement since it appears to just slow down the drop. Unless they are referring to something else.
No, they were referring to the surprise second drop as if it was a huge spoiler. Unless the whole article was being sarcastic.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
No, they were referring to the surprise second drop as if it was a huge spoiler. Unless the whole article was being sarcastic.

Not sure where they could hide something like that. The only indoor portions of the track are the flat section through the mine scene and the second lift hill. I think they are referring to the drop after the second lift hill. If you aren't paying close attention to the ride from the outside you would probably be surprised by the two part drop when you ride it.

Tom

Beta Return
Here are some photos taken over the weekend. Also interesting to note they have posted a internal casting call for host/hostess to apply for the SDMT. Looks a late-February early March soft opening and Late-March Grand Opening.

I would wet myself if they actually soft open to guests by the first week in March. I'm not at all going to believe that will happen, and would be VERY surprised if they make that. But if I even hear whispers of it being true, I'll wait by the queue entrance all day, every day.

The last time we visited WDW, they were running TestTrack 2.0 in cast preview mode. It soft opened to guests the day after we left. I would rather miss this one by a month, than by a day again.

Interested to see how this pans out. I'm not hopeful though.

BrianLo

I wouldn't call it a double drop. Indeed, the rear cars will still be on the chain lift when the front cars are approaching the second crest.

Yup, this is known as a pre-drop and it is used to reduce the tension on the chain lift. Commonly these days it is only used in coasters that have a curved drop (like SDMT does as it veers to the right).

It was a technique first employed by Bolliger and Mabillard I believe.

phi2134

Yup, this is known as a pre-drop and it is used to reduce the tension on the chain lift. Commonly these days it is only used in coasters that have a curved drop (like SDMT does as it veers to the right).

It was a technique first employed by Bolliger and Mabillard I believe.
Does this also help the front cars have more speed in the drop as well? Can't remember where I read something like that, but thought they used this to increase the speed of the front cars as they go off the drop instead of the rear cars still being on the chain lift and slowing them down

BrianLo

Does this also help the front cars have more speed in the drop as well? Can't remember where I read something like that, but thought they used this to increase the speed of the front cars as they go off the drop instead of the rear cars still being on the chain lift and slowing them down

Perhaps marginally, but it's more to do with preventing tension, wear and tear on the chain lift. Certainly it will make the drop smoother as the rear cars will no longer be on a steep gradient when the actual drop occurs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom