Mickey's Toontown Fair closing in February 2011

NiarrNDisney

Wow Disney isnt messing around! It seems they are comitting to FLE and getting this project done.

I wish they would keep Mickey, Minnie's houses, and Donalds boat and just consider placing them somewhere else in WDW. Maybe even build out the little alley on Mainstreet (On the right side as you are heading toward the castle) remove the managment parking lot and have a kind of little M&G off street for the charecters that started the park, keeping it hidden though so it wont mess with the story of Mainstreet.

hdme

I won't miss it either. We have a 2 yr old DD, but the only time we visited Toon Town with her was when we got off of the train. Then we ran through the throngs of screaming, crying kids & parents as quickly as possible to get away. We have visited the area a few times in the past, pre-DD, but were never impressed and always got out of there as soon as we could. It always seem like such a hectic & stressful place.

wolf359

I have mixed feelings. Mickey's Toontown is great for families with smaller kids, in that it gives them an area to play and be surrounded by characters that are part of the core Disney experience. Even though that isn't my kind of thing, I recognize how important it is to the people that DO like it.

It also will seem a little odd to not have a home for Mickey, but remember that the entire "character home" concept isn't some legendary, exalted idea, but essentially began in 1988 with Mickey's Birthdayland.

I clearly recall years worth of visits to Disneyland where the characters were just...wherever you happened to see them. I know for myself those unexpected character sightings were memorable because of their unexpected nature, but I don't think that they'll ever completely go back to unscheduled, wandering character interactions. At least not with the major characters like Mickey and the princesses.

DisneyMusician2

I have mixed feelings. Mickey's Toontown is great for families with smaller kids, in that it gives them an area to play and be surrounded by characters that are part of the core Disney experience. Even though that isn't my kind of thing, I recognize how important it is to the people that DO like it.

It also will seem a little odd to not have a home for Mickey, but remember that the entire "character home" concept isn't some legendary, exalted idea, but essentially began in 1988 with Mickey's Birthdayland.

I clearly recall years worth of visits to Disneyland where the characters were just...wherever you happened to see them. I know for myself those unexpected character sightings were memorable because of their unexpected nature, but I don't think that they'll ever completely go back to unscheduled, wandering character interactions. At least not with the major characters like Mickey and the princesses.

Ah, that area wasn't even the best kids area on property. After spending some time on Tom Sawyer Island and the Boneyard at the Animal Kingdom, my 2-year-old simply wasn't amused in MK's sub-par Toontown.

jt04

Keep in mind, Toontown was opened as Mickey's Birthdayland in 1988 and was meant to be temporary.

Better late than never.

So true, one of the last of Eisner's mistakes that still exists is finally going. He had a lot of winners but this was not one of them.

I won't miss it but circusland will be so much better??

Ack.

Does anyone know if they are actually calling that area of the park Circusland? That just doesn't seem to fit themes like Adventure, Fantasy and Tomorrow which offer so many variations available for those lands. Circusland would not be able to branch out and be anything but a circus. Its too specific and the area should be named something more general.

I hope they don't just refurb the tents but unfortunately I can't vote on it.

I'm telling my little brother that Mickey and Minnie simply can't afford to pay their mortgage due to the recession, and after all the money they lent Goofy after he dropped out of college and never paid back they have to move into apartments on Main Street now. :lol:

Heh!
:lol:
So, does this mean 24 years is Disney Speak for temporary?
:xmas:

Yes :(

I really don't see those faries still even having M&Gs 3 years from now. I don't think they were quite the sucess that disney had hoped for.

Wrong, they are making a live action movie last I heard.

Wow Disney isnt messing around! It seems they are comitting to FLE and getting this project done.

I wish they would keep Mickey, Minnie's houses, and Donalds boat and just consider placing them somewhere else in WDW. Maybe even build out the little alley on Mainstreet (On the right side as you are heading toward the castle) remove the managment parking lot and have a kind of little M&G off street for the charecters that started the park, keeping it hidden though so it wont mess with the story of Mainstreet.

Nice idea.

I wish we were getting Pixie Hollow. Along with the rumored dark ride. Sigh...

Me too.

Any word on if we will be saying goodbye to the tents as well?

Hope so.

Wow, the news just keeps getting better. I can't wait for the aerial photo of a bulldozed TTF.

GymLeaderPhil

Just wanted to add that with this closure will also see the end of face painting in the Magic Kingdom. There are no plans for an interim face painting location. Unless of course you want to book a much more expensive package at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or Pirates League.

I would also wager a bet that even if a face painting location reopens in the future expansion that we will not see a return of freebies on hard ticket events...

Disneygal1

What about the houses?

What is going to happen to Minnie and Mickey's house? I love toontown and I thought they were going to keep it and just change the name. Does anybody know what is going to happen to the characters' houses?

pumpkin7

i thought toontown was looking a little worse for wear when we went in august. i remember going there as a kid though and enjoying it. although, you used to be able to walk into most of the rooms, like the kitchen, and open the fridge, but the fridge was sealed shut when we went.

glad to see they are doing something with it though.

dvitali

I think what i will miss the most would be the store. I always thought that it was the biggest and best store in the MK for buying items that does not seem to be available on Main Street. I always got my MVMCP items in Toon Town or Fronttier Land because less people go there than on main street.

NewfieFan

I really don't see those faries still even having M&Gs 3 years from now. I don't think they were quite the sucess that disney had hoped for.

Ummm, have you seen the queue for the Fairies? Wait in line and then tell me it's not popular!

I hope Disney is reading this. Not one person so far posted that they will miss Toontown. I certainly won't. I never include it in my visit to Magic Kingdom. Why won't it be missed? It's aimed a very young kids only. Exactly what Walt never wanted. He wanted a place that adults could enjoy also with their kids or without.
The idea of adding playgrounds (or what Disney is calling interactive queues) to attractions is also a bad idea if it gets out of control. Parents of 4-7 yr olds might be very happy standing in a queue while their kids scream and bang on bongos but everyone else probably won't be.
Focus on all age groups when designing the interactive queues.
I'm happy that the wrecking ball has come for Toontown. Anyone know what exactly will be built there now that the original plans have changed?

I think this is the first negative thing I've read about the interactive/play queues. Even those without children can appreciate the theming and immersiveness of it! I'd rather listen to the shouting and laughing of playing children than that of screaming and crying children from standing in a queue too long! In my mind, Disney is focusing on all groups when designing these queues... the theming is great and the children are entertained! Isn't that a win-win for everyone!?!

T-1MILLION

Yay two dumbos? Make the tents circus dumbo themed as a queue than I will say improvement.

The only thing I am looking forward to here is the new train station

Yensid40

I won't miss it either. We have a 2 yr old DD, but the only time we visited Toon Town with her was when we got off of the train. Then we ran through the throngs of screaming, crying kids & parents as quickly as possible to get away. We have visited the area a few times in the past, pre-DD, but were never impressed and always got out of there as soon as we could. It always seem like such a hectic & stressful place.

So if there is no Toontown for kids and parents to scream at each other... where are they going to go now to scream?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom