Mickey's Toontown Fair begins its transformation February 2011

Skipper03

Right now they technically have 7 lands...

"A castle leads the entranceway to seven lands and more...Step inside our storybook, imagine what's in store!"

If they bulldoze Toontown, maybe their plan is to replace it with another pseudo-land. It will prevent them from having to completely re-do the maps (although, I guess they'll have to delete Toontown from them in the interim anyway), and they won't have to change the 10,000 places in their literature, websites and songs that mention 7 lands.

Don't you mean "when" they bulldoze Toontown? :)

SeaCastle

Right now they technically have 7 lands...

"A castle leads the entranceway to seven lands and more...Step inside our storybook, imagine what's in store!"

If they bulldoze Toontown, maybe their plan is to replace it with another pseudo-land. It will prevent them from having to completely re-do the maps (although, I guess they'll have to delete Toontown from them in the interim anyway), and they won't have to change the 10,000 places in their literature, websites and songs that mention 7 lands.

Caribbean Plaza is considered a sub-land of Adventureland, but one could make an argument that Frontierland and Liberty Square comprise one big meta-land.

IMG_0305.JPG

^From the Photos from the Park blog

Caribbean Plaza is listed separately under "Adventureland" rather than just being a thematically different area in Adventureland.

Tom

Beta Return
Caribbean Plaza is considered a sub-land of Adventureland, but one could make an argument that Frontierland and Liberty Square comprise one big meta-land.

IMG_0305.JPG

^From the Photos from the Park blog

Caribbean Plaza is listed separately under "Adventureland" rather than just being a thematically different area in Adventureland.

But on the park maps they only list 7 actual lands. Pirates, for example, is just listed under Adventureland (on the map I'm looking at).

I'm just talking about their "official" documentation. There are going to be several variations of the park map in the near future. And if they reduce the number of documented "lands", there's going to be a lot more changes required throughout the company. The MK has had 7 lands for so long, it's become ingrained in everything.

I have a gut feeling that Toontown will actually be replaced by another land - name T.B.D.

Captain Chaos

It's better because it frees up enough budget to allow them to scrap the horrible M&Gs and replace them with a ride.

Also...the north end of the circus area may not be permanent.

The north end may not be permanent? Then that area will be redeveloped in oh say, not our lifetimes... :lol:

Wilt Dasney

Addressing a couple of topics here:

* I like the fact that DL's railroad stops at the four corners of the park. I'm not feeling particularly articulate on the subject, but MK's 3-stop model just feels "unbalanced" by comparison.

* I don't think it would make sense for Fantasy Forest to be a full-fledged separate land. The theme doesn't seem differentiated enough from FL to justify a complete breakaway (especially with "fantasy" right there in the name). If a seventh "land" is to be born from this, the circus area seems most likely to be it.

But my guess would be they just go to six lands and update the references in the monorail narration and other places. At least I'd like to see that happen. The park has essentially had 6 1/2 lands for the last two decades. I don't want to see some goofy circus area get promoted to a full-fledged land to arbitrarily maintain that number. For me, six strongly themed areas is strongly preferable to a "six plus one" setup like they have now.

yensid67

why was a tomorrowland station never built? thats easy.

kinda hard to explain a 19th-century looking train in a futuristic themed park.

A 19th century train in a futuristic area fits in as a BACK TO THE FUTURE type of thingamabob. (not referencing the movie)

mharrington

Well, the park started out with six and by its 40th, it will return to six. Ironic, don't you think?

And where is it said that Mickey and the gang "live" in Disneyland? I want to read it for myself.

TP2000

And where is it said that Mickey and the gang "live" in Disneyland? I want to read it for myself.

The Disneyland.com website, for starters;

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/mickeys-toontown/

"Mickey's Toontown is an interactive metropolis full of topsy turvy architecture and screwy sculptures. You can even visit the charming houses of Mickey, Minnie and other classic Disney characters. It's the place where some of your favorite Toons call home!"

And then there's the page about the Mickey's House attraction;

"Mickey's House and Meet Mickey
Glimpse the inside of a star's home! See how Mickey lives as you take a self-guided tour through his living and work spaces packed with artifacts from his daily life and brilliant career.

•Mickey welcomes you into his home where you have free reign
•Visit the set of one of Mickey's famous cartoons
•As a finale, you meet Mickey himself live and in person!"

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/mickeys-house/

Toontown in Disneyland is a much bigger land, a fully fleshed out town with a business district with rides, shops and restaurants, in addition to the roller coaster and meet n' greet houses on the other end of the land that Florida has.

Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland (business district)
mickeys-toontown_alt.jpg

I think officially the word was that Mickey lives in Toontown at Disneyland, but also kept a "Country House" at Toontown Fair out in Florida. But with his country house in Florida being torn down next month, his real house in Disneyland will be his primary residence now. The Florida house was just a walk-through set, with Mickey meeting you separately over at the Judges Tent. The Disneyland house is part of an elaborate queue that takes you through the house, then out through the backyard and into "Mickey's Movie Barn" where you meet him on the set of one of his movies. You've got to go through the entire house and then on out to the barn to see Mickey at Disneyland, which I think gives more credence to the claim that Mickey "lives" in the Disneyland house and simply "visits" the country house in Florida.

That doesn't explain the exact duplicate of his Anaheim house and the sprawling Toontown land that exists in Tokyo Disneyland, but I'll leave that explanation for a later date after we decide whether or not Santa Claus exists. :lol:

SeaCastle

It's worth mentioning that Disneyland has long since shuttered a few of its attractions in Toontown, including the Jolly Trolley.

I do hear that the Roger Rabbit attraction is a true E ticket, though.

Tom

Beta Return
It's worth mentioning that Disneyland has long since shuttered a few of its attractions in Toontown, including the Jolly Trolley.

I do hear that the Roger Rabbit attraction is a true E ticket, though.

Right.

And I've only experienced DL's Toontown through photos, but from what I've seen, the WDW version doesn't even deserve to use the word "Toontown" in its name.

aladdin2007

Well, the park started out with six and by its 40th, it will return to six. Ironic, don't you think?

Yeah it is a bit Ironic, given that toontown came for the 20th, and now 20 years later.........its also ironic for 40 years that snow white will go away in its current location.

S

stphnbogert

yeah does anyone know when construction on the snow white ride is suppose to begin?

Fable McCloud

We're going the end of February, so we'll miss seeing Toontown one last time by a week or so. That's kind of a bummer, even though it isn't really that exciting. I just thought it was kind of cute. Especially Minnie's house, since it had the hearts and pink roof.

This isn't devastating as much as the fact that there is just soooo much construction happening in MK right now. It makes me sad that I'll be passing all the boards and walls telling about the future expansion. I just hope that the crane isn't visible in my pictures of the Castle.

Tom

Beta Return
We're going the end of February, so we'll miss seeing Toontown one last time by a week or so. That's kind of a bummer, even though it isn't really that exciting. I just thought it was kind of cute. Especially Minnie's house, since it had the hearts and pink roof.

This isn't devastating as much as the fact that there is just soooo much construction happening in MK right now. It makes me sad that I'll be passing all the boards and walls telling about the future expansion. I just hope that the crane isn't visible in my pictures of the Castle.

We'll be there Jan 30 - Feb 5, so we'll take some Memorial photos while we're there. Did I read it right that Feb 11 is the official last day, or was that a type-o?

Wilt Dasney

Honestly, I think it's fitting if it happens. They're losing a land that was built as a placeholder and never really shed the temporary feel. IMO, the park has always only had six "real" lands. Now it will just be official.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom