Mickey's Toontown Fair begins its transformation February 2011

mharrington

Isn't Walt Disney World in general their home? :veryconfu You can still find them. Maybe this will get parents to take their kids to a park other than MK for a change.

Well, the Magic Kingdom has long since established itself as the resort's true kid-friendly park.

And the characters need a true place to rest their weary heads after a long night. Now they won't have one.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
So now there will be a whole 2 stops on the train? Not to deviate from the topic, but I recall an old park map that indicated a station in TL several decades back. Will they ever bring that one back?

The WDW Railroad never had a TL station. I've read that orignally there were plans for one, but it was never built. Prior to the opening of Mickey's Birthdayland, the WDW RR only had two stops as well.

Hopefully we'll have a much nicer station than the TT station once it is rethemed and reopened.

Lord Pheonix

why was a tomorrowland station never built? thats easy.

kinda hard to explain a 19th-century looking train in a futuristic themed park.

Skyway

why was a tomorrowland station never built? thats easy.

kinda hard to explain a 19th-century looking train in a futuristic themed park.

Umm... Walt didn't seem to have a problem with that when he put a Tomorrowland station at Disneyland (the train then immediately leaves Tomorrowland for the Grand Canyon, and on to Primeval World) For anyone who nitpicks strange theming decisions these days, you gotta admit that Walt made some pretty bizarre ones as well.

To the person who pointed out the pointlessness of having two train stops (temporarily) during construction--- remember, until Mickey's Birthdayland opened in 1988 there were ONLY two stops.

To me, the WDRR is more of an attraction than a form of transportation. It is ALWAYS faster to walk. I think I'd prefer going back to only two stops. Then you would spend less time stopping at each station. But three stops is OK, considering the location of the TT/FL station. DL is the worst because it has 4 stops (Main St, Frontierland, Toontown, and Tomorrowland). As soon as you get moving, you stop again. And my guess is that the DL track is much shorter than the MK.

Lee

Adventurer
I'm confused. As far as I know, the TT station is slated to remain, but will receive a makeover.
Yes. The station is getting an extreme makeover. Total retheme to a more FL cottage-ish type look and the addition of restrooms.
(At least according to the art and plans I have seen for the station.)

S

stphnbogert

Yes. The station is getting an extreme makeover. Total retheme to a more FL cottage-ish type look and the addition of restrooms.

it's getting a cottage-ish theme? i thought it was going circus themed to fit with the great goofini and dumbo circusland.

Lee

Adventurer
it's getting a cottage-ish theme? i thought it was going circus themed to fit with the great goofini and dumbo circusland.

Possibly...
The art I've seen is a year old, and could have changed. But, when I say "cottage", it is a look that seems like it would work with having a circus nearby. Kinda whimsical, but not too fairytale-like.

S

stphnbogert

Possibly...
The art I've seen is a year old, and could have changed. But, when I say "cottage", it is a look that seems like it would work with having a circus nearby. Kinda whimsical, but not too fairytale-like.

cool. do you know whats going where pixie hollow was going to go?

Lord Pheonix

Umm... Walt didn't seem to have a problem with that when he put a Tomorrowland station at Disneyland (the train then immediately leaves Tomorrowland for the Grand Canyon, and on to Primeval World) For anyone who nitpicks strange theming decisions these days, you gotta admit that Walt made some pretty bizarre ones as well.

true. but walt didnt want to repeat the same mistakes he saw in dl, such as frontierland cast members walking thru tomorrowland and things like that. this would definatly be a good reason not to include a stop in tl.

and your also right, main street an frontierland were the only 2 stops for years until toontown was built, whose remodel into something better is long overdue, in my humble opinion.

Lee

Adventurer
i'm sorry but how is that going to be better than pixie hollow? lol.

It's better because it frees up enough budget to allow them to scrap the horrible M&Gs and replace them with a ride.

Also...the north end of the circus area may not be permanent.

lnsemsf

DL is the worst because it has 4 stops (Main St, Frontierland, Toontown, and Tomorrowland). As soon as you get moving, you stop again. And my guess is that the DL track is much shorter than the MK.

The DL railroad and their 4 stops make it much useful than the railroad we have here. With 4 stops you can actually use it to get from one point in the park to another. It's not necessarily faster than walking unless you happen to time it right, but after days of walking for hours on end, being able to get from Haunted Mansion directly across the park to Space Mountain without walking is beyond welcome. They also don't cheap out like we do and run their trains until AFTER the park closes. You can get on the train after park closing because they run 1 full round trip leaving from Main Street at park close, so you can get on at Tomorrowland about 15 minutes after the park closed for the day and save the walk back to the front of the park. Here they shut down the train before the fireworks, even if the park is open for hours and hours later. DL's railroad shuts down for about 20 minutes during the fireworks, and then opens right back up. I'll take DLs railroad over ours any day!

RSoxNo1

This is very disappointing. I've never really visited Toontown Fair myself, except to walk through it from the train station, but I'm speaking for people who should find a reliable spot to find the characters.

And of course, they are now deprived of a true home to call their own.

Isn't Walt Disney World in general their home? :veryconfu You can still find them. Maybe this will get parents to take their kids to a park other than MK for a change.

The homes in Toontown Fair are the vacation homes of Mickey and Minnie. There real homes are in Disneyland. That's why these are "Country Houses".

i'm sorry but how is that going to be better than pixie hollow? lol.

It's better because it frees up enough budget to allow them to scrap the horrible M&Gs and replace them with a ride.

I think the concept of Pixie Hollow as a meet and greet is a good one, but does it really need to be the size and scope of an actual ride?

Also, we've heard the expansion referred to as Fantasyland Forest, would that be classified as it's own area (like Serka Zong or Anandapur in Asia at AK) or will Fantasyland Forest and Circusland all fall under the umbrella of Fantasyland?

Tom

Beta Return
Also, we've heard the expansion referred to as Fantasyland Forest, would that be classified as it's own area (like Serka Zong or Anandapur in Asia at AK) or will Fantasyland Forest and Circusland all fall under the umbrella of Fantasyland?

Right now they technically have 7 lands...

"A castle leads the entranceway to seven lands and more...Step inside our storybook, imagine what's in store!"

If they bulldoze Toontown, maybe their plan is to replace it with another pseudo-land. It will prevent them from having to completely re-do the maps (although, I guess they'll have to delete Toontown from them in the interim anyway), and they won't have to change the 10,000 places in their literature, websites and songs that mention 7 lands.

mharrington

Isn't it ironic that, by WDW's 40th, the Magic Kingdom will end up with the same number of lands it started with: six?

And where is it said that Mickey and Minnie's "real" homes are at Disneyland? I would like to see that someplace.

MAF

The circus theme is just a half-assed way for Disney to continue using those horrendous rotting tents isn't it? :rolleyes:

SeaCastle

On a scale from holiday decorations to Milennium Village, how not-permanent will it be?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom