Mickey's New 'Old' Image ...

FigmentJedi

You know what annoys me about these damn articles? They keep focusing only on Scrapper Mickey and not the fact that you can CHOOSE your path and not always have to be Jerk Mickey, even being able to switch between the two depending on your path.

Personally, I'm gonna be the Neutral Mickey, helping characters and restoring the world while killing enemies and fighting the bosses.

sublimesting

From my readings I don't think Walt liked the overly mischevous, meanspirited Mickey. But, I have been saying for years that Mickey has no presence in the parks other than being a corporate symbol. He doesn't even feature in any attraction except Philharmagic and stage shows. We do need some more personality from him and some more movies and a ride or two. I don't want his look to change though.

EPCOT Explorer

Actually, I'm an old cartoon junky when it comes to Disney. Yes, Mickey in the 40's/30's wasn't the Mickey we see and love today. But there also weren't characters like Donald to take away Mickey's bad side and it also was a very, very different time period.

And that's exactly what I said in my post ("that's what Donald is for").

This idea is either going to be genius or not, and so far with this "new" Mickey (reminds me of giant leg Pikachu- 5 pnts for whoever knows that reference) doesn't sit well with me. They shouldn't reinvent something that doesn't need reinvention. Oswald does, but it's pretty clear he's the villain.
While the personality is opinion vs. opinion and won't be won by YOU or ME....:lookaroun

...The significance of Mickey being reinstated as a ACTIVE character WITH character, be it "bad" or "good" is huge. And that's the point of this little thread. Personally, I'm all for it. I want to see a active point of it, getting into trouble and actually being used by WDC for something besides Fantasmic and laughing every two secs in parades.

Cmdr_Crimson

There's several different ranges of mickey..But everyone now looks at him from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with his Pre-school attitude..If you watched him from House of Mouse/Mouse Works Shorts,

Runaway Brain
Runaway-Brain-16-web.jpg

And especially in Kingdom Hearts..
kingmickey.jpg

I do beleive TDO is doing what needs to be done in marketing Mickey by any means necessary

CaptainMichael

:D:sohappy:

I have to say it...Mickey was anything but "Disney".:lol:
Disney was anything but "Disney" back then. A shame what the company has become.

They shouldn't reinvent something that doesn't need reinvention. Oswald does, but it's pretty clear he's the villain.
He obviously needs reinvention. Mickey is largely irrelevant these days except with the preschool audience.

From my readings I don't think Walt liked the overly mischevous, meanspirited Mickey.
er...he created him to be that way.

_Scar

Disney was anything but "Disney" back then. A shame what the company has become.

Mickey may have changed physically, but after other fab 5 characters were created the Mickey we know today has existed for a long time, during Walt's time.

He obviously needs reinvention. Mickey is largely irrelevant these days except with the preschool audience.

I guess, but he's still pretty popular among all age groups.

er...he created him to be that way.

In the beginning, yes. But there were complaints about his behavior which sparked the creation of the fab 5 we know today. They're all a little of Mickey's personality we used to see.

FigmentJedi

I guess, but he's still pretty popular among all age groups.

Yeah, but is it because of how iconic he is or because of his strength as a character (which is pretty lacking now, which is why we're getting this turn back to the more adventurous Mickey)?

_Scar

Yeah, but is it because of how iconic he is or because of his strength as a character (which is pretty lacking now, which is why we're getting this turn back to the more adventurous Mickey)?

Iconic. Which is why I still don't think he really needs a big reinvention of his character. I don't think Disney would want to market that.

FigmentJedi

I'd rather him be a character than a logo, but that's just me.

Seconded. And I repeat, Disney should have started promoting Mickey's adventurous side much earlier and started bringing some of those European Mickey comics to the US or even do some animated stuff based on some of those detective/adventurer stories.

EpcotServo

Wait? Where has Mickey gone?
:lol:

Seriously though...I don't see the "Reinvention" Mickey, he's always been Mickey. Epic Mickey changes nothing, we've seen him in Kingdom Hearts and such. He has a ton of sides, There's the friendly side, the mischievous side, the helpful side, the adventurer side, the hero side...He's all that. Even if they label it a "Reinvention", it's not. All those sides will have been, and always will be, Mickey. He's never been a one trick Mouse people...
:shrug: :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone who thinks squeaky clean Mickey (i.e. bland corporate symbol) is Disney needs to study their history a bit.

The analogy to Bart Simpson of his time would be dead on ... don't agree with the writer's take that he was akin to Family Guy's Stewie though, but I wasn't alive in the 1920s and 30s so maybe the comparison isn't THAT off.

I would say Mickey's current image is as much of a problem with Disney as folks who believe the DISNEY MAGIC (not the boat) is the same as the magic Disney created for decades in its films, TV shows and theme parks.

One is tangible, substantive and, dare I say it, real. Or at least it sure feels like it.
The other is a sanitized product of a cynical marketing machine.

There's a huge difference.

A good example in the parks would be the dumbing down of PoC in the USA by first making the pirates not chase the women, but instead be chasing food or having the women chasing them ... and then adding Jack Sparrow to tie in to merchandise sales and movie tix and DVD sales etc ... vs. say DLP where you have a more pure and 100% politically incorrect version where pirates still chase wenches and you even get a projection on a second story window (in shadow form) where a pirate has a woman slung over his back. I'm pretty sure he's not after any food, except perhaps her melons.

That's what REAL Disney was about.

It was about transporting you into another time and place. Sure, it was santitized (for your protection), but not to the point where it felt fake, commercial and tacky.

Taking this back to Mickey, I cringe when I see a foamhead with no personality laughing and saying things like 'Oh gosh Minnie, being here with all our friends is a reason to celebrate.' Yet, I realize that for many folks that IS Mickey.

I don't think his creator would necessarily agree.

Disney needs to stop worrying about offending people on the far ends of the spectrum in the USA and be true to its roots.

Bairstow

So is there anyone who doesn't think the current interpretation of Mickey Mouse is tired, inert, and irrelevant?

Didn't think so.

Still, the "Epic Mickey" direction took me by surprise, and it's only a good thing if Disney is at least showing a willingness to move in a direction, even a scary steampunk direction, towards new ideas.

And I thought Bloc28 was a major step.
disney-streetart-bloc28-exhibition.jpg

I mean, just look at the logo for this thing:
x-Mickey_Ears_270x270.jpg

It will be interesting to see that printed on a bunch of T-shirts at the World of Disney.

The Mak

So is there anyone who doesn't think the current interpretation of Mickey Mouse is tired, inert, and irrelevant?

Didn't think so.

Still, the "Epic Mickey" direction took me by surprise, and it's only a good thing if Disney is at least showing a willingness to move in a direction, even a scary steampunk direction, towards new ideas.

And I thought Bloc28 was a major step.
disney-streetart-bloc28-exhibition.jpg

I mean, just look at the logo for this thing:
x-Mickey_Ears_270x270.jpg

It will be interesting to see that printed on a bunch of T-shirts at the World of Disney.

...The accumulated filth of all their fornication and murder will foam up about their waists and all the prostitutes and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "Oh boy!"

Dj Corona

I read this article this morning on AOL, loved the line about "Tinker Bell spends the entire movie trying to murder Wendy, yet modern parents see a homicidal fairy as plucky"! or something close to that.
Aside from that, as far as already considering an "Epic Mickey" ride, attraction, etc. ...isn't that jumping the gun a little for something that hasn't even came out yet?? A) Because there have been people that have come and gone off these boards, even as well as some still on here, that wouldn't mind something in the way of a "History of Mickey" dark ride, or something along those lines....and B) Aside for a one time appearance at MNSSHP, there's been no park love for the Kingdom Hearts series. At all.
Anywho, that being said, I have no problem bringing the un-P.C. Mickey back to the future, so long as there's not a Leonard Maltin introduction to go along with the game!! (Anybody who owns a Disney Treasure DVD knows what I'm talking about) :D

Disney05

I personally don't like the angry looking Mickey. I don't have a problem with giving him an updated look, but Mickey looks ed! Just not the image I think he should be.

_Scar

Anyone who thinks squeaky clean Mickey (i.e. bland corporate symbol) is Disney needs to study their history a bit.

Yes, but he USED to be. He was changed a very, very long time ago.

The analogy to Bart Simpson of his time would be dead on ... don't agree with the writer's take that he was akin to Family Guy's Stewie though, but I wasn't alive in the 1920s and 30s so maybe the comparison isn't THAT off.

Bart, maybe and probably a little worse. Stewie? That's overboard.

I would say Mickey's current image is as much of a problem with Disney as folks who believe the DISNEY MAGIC (not the boat) is the same as the magic Disney created for decades in its films, TV shows and theme parks.

He seems wildly popular atm. He's probably (well, obvious) Disney's most popular character. I don't see how he's a problem to Disney. I wouldn't want to see you in charge of anything Disney anytime soon. What you think is a problem- people believing in the quality Disney puts out/Mickey's image- is so far from a problem.

One is tangible, substantive and, dare I say it, real. Or at least it sure feels like it.

There's a huge difference

Drama queen.

A good example in the parks would be the dumbing down of PoC in the USA by first making the pirates not chase the women, but instead be chasing food or having the women chasing them ... and then adding Jack Sparrow to tie in to merchandise sales and movie tix and DVD sales etc ... vs. say DLP where you have a more pure and 100% politically incorrect version where pirates still chase wenches and you even get a projection on a second story window (in shadow form) where a pirate has a woman slung over his back. I'm pretty sure he's not after any food, except perhaps her melons.

In the United States, men chasing women is not very accepted- at all. I don't see how this is a problem changing the scene. Do you want Brer Fox in Splash make the tar tar baby? Or Uncle Remus AA telling you the story? Disney respects those boundaries and tries their best not to offend anyone.

I LOVE the Johnny AA. So real, so lifelike. I don't understand WHY people think he was brought in for movie sales. Cmon people.... he is the face of Pirates of the Caribbean! He only adds to the story of the ride, not subrtacts.

The REAL Disney would not want to offend anyone. You can still put on a great show without crossing any lines... I guess not for you though.

It was about transporting you into another time and place. Sure, it was santitized (for your protection), but not to the point where it felt fake, commercial and tacky.

Fake, commercial, and tacky? Guarentee you're the minority in this argument. Pirates is anything but tacky. There are barely any movie references considering what they could have done. Commercial? I don't understand why you keep bringing Johnny trying to sell dvds up... does he say "Pirates now out on Blu Ray! Only 59.99" when the boat passes by?

Taking this back to Mickey, I cringe when I see a foamhead with no personality laughing and saying things like 'Oh gosh Minnie, being here with all our friends is a reason to celebrate.' Yet, I realize that for many folks that IS Mickey.

Mickey has a ton of personality. True, it's not mean, rude, dumb, ect but he has that distinct personality that you know he's the level-headed one. He's the hero of the bunch and he represents Disney.

His creator made the Mickey we see today. That's just Disney 101! You should know that.

Disney needs to stop worrying about offending people on the far ends of the spectrum in the USA and be true to its roots.

ROFL!!

Yes, I TOTALLY agree. Disney offending people would drive in the fans. Getting back to that raunchy, racist Disney Magic we all know and want back!

:rolleyes:

SirNim

Mickey = Loki

The Trickster Mouse, brought back to life from the depths of castrati hell.

Or, at least, that's one poetic way to look at it.

EPCOT Explorer

In some ways, yes. True Disney is EVERYTHING. Not just Castles, Dreams, and Magic...but the "Hard Facts" that have created America (to use a certain dedication), and the universal tool of a story to paint a vivid picture for the minds eye. A story on anything. Mickey used to be a differentiated character. As of late, he's a symbol.

Honestly, he could be both.:shrug:

There's a huge difference.

Agreed in full.

Honestly, the PotC were never noticeable enough for me...and I really don't think that that small change has any real effect on the effect of the attraction itself. However, it's that thought process that still makes things bland, you are right.

...The accumulated filth of all their fornication and murder will foam up about their waists and all the prostitutes and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "Oh boy!"
YOU WIN THIS THREAD!:sohappy::lol:
Yes, but he USED to be. He was changed a very, very long time ago.

Bart, maybe and probably a little worse. Stewie? That's overboard.

He seems wildly popular atm. He's probably (well, obvious) Disney's most popular character. I don't see how he's a problem to Disney. I wouldn't want to see you in charge of anything Disney anytime soon. What you think is a problem- people believing in the quality Disney puts out/Mickey's image- is so far from a problem.

Drama queen.

In the United States, men chasing women is not very accepted- at all. I don't see how this is a problem changing the scene. Do you want Brer Fox in Splash make the tar tar baby? Or Uncle Remus AA telling you the story? Disney respects those boundaries and tries their best not to offend anyone.

I LOVE the Johnny AA. So real, so lifelike. I don't understand WHY people think he was brought in for movie sales. Cmon people.... he is the face of Pirates of the Caribbean! He only adds to the story of the ride, not subrtacts.

The REAL Disney would not want to offend anyone. You can still put on a great show without crossing any lines... I guess not for you though.

Fake, commercial, and tacky? Guarentee you're the minority in this argument. Pirates is anything but tacky. There are barely any movie references considering what they could have done. Commercial? I don't understand why you keep bringing Johnny trying to sell dvds up... does he say "Pirates now out on Blu Ray! Only 59.99" when the boat passes by?

Mickey has a ton of personality. True, it's not mean, rude, dumb, ect but he has that distinct personality that you know he's the level-headed one. He's the hero of the bunch and he represents Disney.

His creator made the Mickey we see today. That's just Disney 101! You should know that.

ROFL!!

Yes, I TOTALLY agree. Disney offending people would drive in the fans. Getting back to that raunchy, racist Disney Magic we all know and want back!

:rolleyes:
No one said it was a problem.:shrug: However, why WOULDN'T you want to get back to your roots...and even open up to a whole new demographic?
Have your cake and eat it too....Keeping Mickey a symbol is almost close minded.

"A Whole New Demographic"....I wonder if Disney Marketing sings that instead of '"Whole New World"?:lookaroun:)

Yeeeeah, Splash Mountain/Song of the South. Again. Do your research. It's NOT racist. People are TOO sensitive about these things. The whole story has been disambiguated by these "sympathies". As a student of History I ask you...Do you REALLY think we are just going to wipe away years of our History, no matter how dirty? NO. That's wrong. You disrespect your past that way. No. You forget that way. No. You are wont to repeat it that way.
On the note of the ride itself....Put Remus back. It's part of the story, part of the history...and IF YOU KNEW about this, you would see that it was actually quite bipartisan to have a African American actor star in the movie, and play the role that he did. This PR spin against FACT is sickening.

You don't understand why Johnny Shlep was brought in? The movie? Umm..."Whole New Demographic" of teen girls drooling more than a fanboi on D23 Expo day? Heard of them? There ya go.
The ride isn't supposed to have a defined story in the first place. Adding him just makes this another Disney "Hide and Seek" scenario.:rolleyes: Original, right? Nemo, Mexico, Philhar.

Mick's personality NOW is tacky. And cheesey. In a good way. Like We've said...He's a symbol. And that's fine. But as I said before....Let him out of his shell for a bit. REALLY make him a DISNEY character again. Let him have an adventure for a change. He's spent too much time holding Walt's hand in front of a Castle.

Yes, always let him be in the roll of a partner, and of a symbol, but let the character be himself, too.

As always, there's a happy balance. Right now...it's too happy.

wbt06

For all the people that cannot believe Disney would want a game like this should do there research. This game was pitched to Spector by Disney. He did some revisions on some elements but the core has always been there. He also believes in the game so much that to do it he let Disney by his new independent company. Plus he wants to make a ducktales game and no not the cartoon the comics. He is a true Disney buff who loves the history and would not want to tarnish Mickey’s character but add to it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom