Mickey's house isn't staying

EPCOT Explorer

Yea, this doesn't look like enough for a 25th anniversary celebration. In fact, it looks incomplete through my eyes.

I can see the castle the same way for 25 years, but on an anniversary lkike that I expect to see something extraordinary and uncommon. Something that will make me go "WOW".

And why did we need a wand on SSE telling us it's Y2K. Seriously? I have no words to describe it except a simple sentence I will shorten- ?

I think Tokyo's did that in a very graceful way.

Why did we have a Wand? No idea. It was a celebration, but it looked fine....FOR THE YEAR. :brick: It didn't become "over the top" until it overstayed it's welcome. I rather liked it.

millenniumearth.jpg

rodserling27

Why did we have a Wand? No idea. It was a celebration, but it looked fine....FOR THE YEAR. :brick: It didn't become "over the top" until it overstayed it's welcome. I rather liked it.

millenniumearth.jpg

I agree, the wand was OK for its purpose. But once it changed to "EPCOT," it just became irritating.
That's a lovely picture, by the way!!

_Scar

Does Tokyo's really make you go 'wow' though?

And imo the wand made a perfectly fine structure look cheapened. I don't think SSE can be decorated at all without it looking tacky. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I agree, the wand was OK for its purpose. But once it changed to "EPCOT," it just became irritating.
That's a lovely picture, by the way!!
I agree. The 2000 Wand was much classier. Red ribbon and Gold lights and Stars.

When they added the EPCOT script, it had the Blue ribbon, the red letters, the orange and yellow confetti....Ew.
Does Tokyo's really make you go 'wow' though?

And imo the wand made a perfectly fine structure look cheapened. I don't think SSE can be decorated at all without it looking tacky. :shrug:

Yeah, Tokyo's is WOWing. :lol:

I agree on SSE. The Wand was a nice, sporty, temporary edition. Seeing it stayed up too long....that's what made it annoying. And it ruined SSE.

Same thing with the HCOE Decor. Nice, flashy, but get it down soon.

867443533_52d545a04c.jpg

The key, is subtlety. Like Tokyo.

MarkTwain

That castle looked hideous! My eyes! :cry:

I remember quite liking it as a kid. :lol: Today though... :hurl:

Did you know the Castle Cake was one of the last projects John Hench ever worked on? He said that he was working on it in an interview taken shortly before he died.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think the cake was kind of cool, however, if I showed up for a special occasion, like a honeymoon or wedding, I would be very upset about having it covered in frosting. Just seeing it a couple times, I am able to appreciate the engineering feat, and it was kind of pretty.

Same story with the Wand, and Hat initially. IMO they both overstayed their welcomes, and the hat continues to do so. I am not one who like the chinese theatre as a weenie either. But the hat does sort of seem misplaced.

EPCOT Explorer

I remember quite liking it as a kid. :lol: Today though... :hurl:

Did you know the Castle Cake was one of the last projects John Hench ever worked on? He said that he was working on it in an interview taken shortly before he died.

Oy. His 90's work....Hench purple in EPCOT, UoE Colors...and now the Cake?! :brick::(

DiPSU224

Personally, I think this looks stunning and magical.

Hmmm...the castle cake was tacky, but it was only temporary (unlike a certain HAT....). I liked it at the time when I was still a kid, but I'm not sure how I would feel about it today...

Well said. I remember thinking the cake was "cool" when I was 16 and way before my obsession with the castle had developed.
If that had showed up now, I think I would have a better understanding of some people's intense hatred for the wand.

I think I need to go dig up my old castle pics from 97 now....

Same thing with the HCOE Decor. Nice, flashy, but get it down soon.

867443533_52d545a04c.jpg

Wasn't a super huge fan of this either. I thought it was kind of tacky looking...
I'm guss I'm glad to get to see the different overlays in person, but also glad when they get taken down as well...

EPCOT Explorer

Personally, I think this looks stunning and magical.
I agree. The actual lights and "draperies" combined with the lighting scheme actually on the Castle is so subtly meshed that it just pops.

Well said. I remember thinking the cake was "cool" when I was 16 and way before my obsession with the castle had developed.
If that had showed up now, I think I would have a better understanding of some people's intense hatred for the wand.

I think I need to go dig up my old castle pics from 97 now....
I thought it was cool, too...but by the end of the day...I really wanted to see the Castle be normal, again. The Wand, HCOE, or Tokyo additions don't do that to me. They make me want to see MORE of it. See all the details in it.

Of course by wand, I mean 2000 Wand. Epcot Wand made me want to see SSE normally again at about January 2nd 2001.:lookaroun

Wasn't a super huge fan of this either. I thought it was kind of tacky looking...
I'm guss I'm glad to get to see the different overlays in person, but also glad when they get taken down as well...

I put the HCOE decor in the same category as the Wand and the Cake. Great for a temporary thing, but closer to Tokyo.

Tokyo's is the standard for me. :D

rodserling27

Ahhh yes, yes the houses.

So I guess time will tell the ultimate fate of the houses? What they should do is redesign them to fit somewhere in Fantasyland. After all, most of Mickey's colleagues live in Fantasyland. It would make sense to me if Mick + Min were there too.

maggiegrace1

Where are they going to live???? :( :cry: You cant kick a mouse out of its home (s) Someone call PETA!!!!
It will be okay!..Mickey and Minnie are as tight as toast...no matter what they will be happy..in a house or on Main Street... as long as they are together...:D

DisneyLeo18

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the homes in WDW considered Mickey and Minnie's vacation homes? and their real houses are located in DL?

Also why don't they live together?? :shrug:

maggiegrace1

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the homes in WDW considered Mickey and Minnie's vacation homes? and their real houses are located in DL?

Also why don't they live together?? :shrug:
Yes...there real homes are in Dl

They do not live together because that would be living in sin and they have morals and values..:D

:lookaroun

glee

It will be okay!..Mickey and Minnie are as tight as toast...no matter what they will be happy..in a house or on Main Street... as long as they are together...:D

:D Yes but it still would be nice to have a place of there own. Maybe Cinders will let them crash :) :ROFLOL: :lol:

NewfieFan

don't be surprised if it's replaced by 'mickey mouse's clubhouse'.......

Seriously!?! I actually wouldn't be bothered by this... it's the only current franchise that is using Mickey (and the gang). Not that Mickey's M&G has to be a current franchise but you know how Disney likes to market...! It's a bit more geared to preschoolers (and under), though. But I like how they're getting a new generation of kids hooked on the original characters; the show even has characters like Pete and Clarabelle for example!

Where would this be... MK or DHS or where??? It seems like more of a fit for DHS, especially where they already have Playhouse Disney there in Animation Courtyard!?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom