Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Was there ever documentation of this fan outlet? I am now oddly intrigued.
It’s not much without scale

A3CA171A-B18D-4E00-B398-6250D406DC52.jpeg

Magenta Panther

No. It was pulled during early previews.

Imagine what was built, but with an endlessly spinning house in the middle of a funnel cloud. Just like the movie. Plenty of gobo projections on the opposite wall and around the screen too. Like what was there but without comets.

And also much more wind. Did you ever see the size of the fan outlet in the opposite wall?

God, that sounds awesome. Shame it never happened. :(

WDWdream97

Imagine what was built, but with an endlessly spinning house in the middle of a funnel cloud. Just like the movie. Plenty of gobo projections on the opposite wall and around the screen too. Like what was there but without comets.
Sometimes I wish Disney would buy the rights to the film/the first Oz book. But then again I would not want them to try and remake it. I would only like to see elements of it in parks.

FigmentJedi

Sometimes I wish Disney would buy the rights to the film/the first Oz book. But then again I would not want them to try and remake it. I would only like to see elements of it in parks.
First Oz book is in the public domain. It's just that the film has become the only image of Oz pop culture holds in its hearts and MGM obviously owns all the changes they made like Ruby Slippers and a green witch.

Bocabear

Disney bought the rights to some of the OZ books with the intention of making an OZ film with the Mouseketeers.. The Rainbow Road To Oz... Even completed some of the music for the film and did test production. They also own enough of OZ that they did Return To Oz with a tiny Fairuza Balk back in the 80s... If they wanted to do OZ, they could... But they would have to make the characters and environments more closely resemble the 1939 film... Their last OZ film would have been WAY more successful if they had done that... The characters have reached a cult status...

Magenta Panther

First Oz book is in the public domain. It's just that the film has become the only image of Oz pop culture holds in its hearts and MGM obviously owns all the changes they made like Ruby Slippers and a green witch.

The Disney connection to the 1939 Oz film is very interesting. While struggling with how to capture Oz successfully on film, producer Mervyn LeRoy asked Walt to send over a print of Snow White for him and his film team to watch and be inspired by. Plus LeRoy also asked Walt to lend MGM some of Disney's technicians to help with special effects on the film. And most interesting of all...the Oz film was cut and edited by Blanche Sewell...Walt's sister-in-law. :jawdrop:

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

It's a damn shame The Wizard of Oz has virtually NO representation in any major American theme park, despite the film's iconic status and continued appeal. Too bad most theme park companies focus on contemporary, likely flash-in-the-pan IPs instead (Avatar, Jaws, etc.). The film deserves better. And Oz would make an amazing attraction if done right. But then Disney doesn't care about its own Mary Poppins enough to give it a decent ride. What fools.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lots of people, including Disney, tried to capitalize on the good will of the iconic movie but failed. There were remakes (of the original book material) sequels, utilization of the other books in the series, movies, cartoons, TV series (including a Once Upon A Time-ish take on it), et al.

The only derivative that was successful is Broadway's Wicked.

ppete1975

It's a damn shame The Wizard of Oz has virtually NO representation in any major American theme park, despite the film's iconic status and continued appeal. Too bad most theme park companies focus on contemporary, likely flash-in-the-pan IPs instead (Avatar, Jaws, etc.). The film deserves better. And Oz would make an amazing attraction if done right. But then Disney doesn't care about its own Mary Poppins enough to give it a decent ride. What fools.
well there is the place in north Carolina.. which is a survival story of a theme park

Castle Cake Apologist

Yes it was..And again, it could have worked if they had adhered to the 1939 film character look and style...and made it a little less green screen-y... There was just a little too much digital... made it like watching a video game...it could have really worked... so close.

Yeah, I thought it was a solid film overall. Definitely agree on the overdone digital effects, though.

Rich Brownn

Disney bought the rights to some of the OZ books with the intention of making an OZ film with the Mouseketeers.. The Rainbow Road To Oz... Even completed some of the music for the film and did test production. They also own enough of OZ that they did Return To Oz with a tiny Fairuza Balk back in the 80s... If they wanted to do OZ, they could... But they would have to make the characters and environments more closely resemble the 1939 film... Their last OZ film would have been WAY more successful if they had done that... The characters have reached a cult status...
Poor "Return To Oz" -- people went in expecting Judy Garland and instead they got Frank L. Baum (Return is way more faithful to its sources). The Oz series occasionally got very very dark and creepy. :)

Rich Brownn

Yes it was..And again, it could have worked if they had adhered to the 1939 film character look and style...and made it a little less green screen-y... There was just a little too much digital... made it like watching a video game...it could have really worked... so close.
You could tell the film was written to be played by Robert Downey Jr, though.

Goofyernmost

The Disney connection to the 1939 Oz film is very interesting. While struggling with how to capture Oz successfully on film, producer Mervyn LeRoy asked Walt to send over a print of Snow White for him and his film team to watch and be inspired by. Plus LeRoy also asked Walt to lend MGM some of Disney's technicians to help with special effects on the film. And most interesting of all...the Oz film was cut and edited by Blanche Sewell...Walt's daughter in law. :jawdrop:
How did Walt get a daughter in law? He had two girls and they were both married to his son in laws?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom