Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Clopin Trouillefou

They absolutely make decisions based upon the year and quarter during which money will be spent. Look no further than the GotG and TRON build schedules. If you look at GotG today, do you believe it needs over two more years to build? The building is largely done and track on site. It could easily open for summer 2020. But it won’t. I’m purposely using a round number, but if a ride costs $300 million, spreading that over 3 FYs is more palatable to some than building it in 2 years. I’m no where near the most cynical person on these boards. Just being a realist. The company has known since 2015 that DHS needs more when SWL opens. They begrudgingly allowed MMRR but knew capacity would still be too low and opted to ignore the issue. Here we are, 9 months out from Galaxy’s Edge, with no finite plan in place. So the park will be a mess for AT LEAST 2020 and 2021. Obviously it would be crowded regardless with Galaxy’s Edge’s level of interest, but the resort is wholly unprepared and had ample time to adequately prepare beyond a ski lift and an E ticket at a neighboring park that will open 6 months late. Even the obvious plan to update shows in DHS was delayed too far. What are they thinking? They surely can’t afford to close BatB for a year now, but could have when the park had approximately 4 guests per day in Summer 2018. DL isn’t doing much better but they have fewer options. Benches will be nice, I suppose.

without trying to A.) go further into off-topic land or B.) open an unintentional wormhole, is there any desire within the company to push guardians' opening forward? I only ask because others have seemed to indicate that they're getting concerned about Epcot numbers/satisfaction. thanks!

jt04

without trying to A.) go further into off-topic land or B.) open an unintentional wormhole, is there any desire within the company to push guardians' opening forward? I only ask because others have seemed to indicate that they're getting concerned about Epcot numbers/satisfaction. thanks!

Doubt it. But don't forget they already announced a new phase dealing with the spine of FW. GotG 2021. Spine likely targeting 2022.

IMO.

HowAboutDisney

Just a idea 💡 while I’m happy about the new Mickey ride but why couldn’t we have had a “Walt’s great movie ride”? It could’ve started on a train in 1928 and you are on that same train with Walt creating Mickey Mouse and then have Mickey jump off the sketch and take you through all the things that would come after him,

Imagine the ride going dark you hear the train moving as imagination in Walt’s head starts to move along as well (something not as creepy as Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory boat ride scene but close).

Mickey then jumps through every cartoon and movie Walt made including big things like Disneyland and then the the idea of the Florida project in 1966..

the ride ends with Mickey jumping back on the sketch pad with Walt looking to his wife and saying “Mickey? I like it! This little guy is gonna start everything!” Conductor blows a whistle and says “you’ve arrived at your destination” Mickey winks on the page and the ride is over..

Last edited:

ChewbaccaYourMum

I wish they would have just built this ride in Animation Courtyard..
updated gmr with a couple more modern movie scenes..
built an Indy land where the stunt show is now (IJA clone and either a water ride or that roller coaster from Paris or both)..
build the new BATB ride where the show is now (if it could even fit there?)

jeez... I can literally make DHS one of the best parks, if not the best ever in my sleep...

Skibum1970

built an Indy land where the stunt show is now (IJA clone and either a water ride or that roller coaster from Paris or both)..

jeez... I can literally make DHS one of the best parks, if not the best ever in my sleep...

I have tried to think of ways to improve this park but its layout is difficult to work around. I would have preferred it have more of a true hub/spoke design. Still, from what I've gathered, cost to renovate GMR as well as popularity overall is what drove MMRR to be built.

po1998

It made so much sense, that you wonder how the decision was made to do otherwise. I'll answer my own question...$$$$.

RSoxNo1

I have tried to think of ways to improve this park but its layout is difficult to work around. I would have preferred it have more of a true hub/spoke design. Still, from what I've gathered, cost to renovate GMR as well as popularity overall is what drove MMRR to be built.
Demo Star Wars launch bay and connect the RnRC courtyard to Animation Courtyard, then create another loop to connect to Toy Story Land.

DinoInstitute

Demo Star Wars launch bay and connect the RnRC courtyard to Animation Courtyard, then create another loop to connect to Toy Story Land.
Even without any major additions/changes, these paths to connect the park are something I feel like they absolutely should be doing before SWGE opens, to improve guest flow and just simply add walking space.

Marc Davis Fan

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but... I really hope they maintain Sunset Boulevard (meaning the full walk down it) as the only way to reach Tower of Terror. Walking down that street is "Scene 1" of one of the greatest theme park experiences ever created. I think it would be a shame for a substantial percentage of first-time visitors to miss out on that experience. Again, I know there are efficiency concerns and the like, so it's just IMHO.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Still, from what I've gathered, cost to renovate GMR as well as popularity overall is what drove MMRR to be built.
I know, and I'm not one who's so mad this is the way they went. But there's no denying it could have been done a different way and we would still be able to have the option to enjoy gmr whenever we liked.

ToTBellHop

I know, and I'm not one who's so mad this is the way they went. But there's no denying it could have been done a different way and we would still be able to have the option to enjoy gmr whenever we liked.
I wouldn’t have cared if they gutted and replaced every scene in GMR. It was dated and aging poorly. The fact of the matter is that the overall park will desperately need GMR’s and MMRR’s capacity in about 9 months. But I’m sure Jack-Jack statues will work just as well, right?

Skibum1970

I wouldn’t have cared if they gutted and replaced every scene in GMR. It was dated and aging poorly. The fact of the matter is that the overall park will desperately need GMR’s and MMRR’s capacity in about 9 months. But I’m sure Jack-Jack statues will work just as well, right?

Exactly. Star Wars will be overwhelmingly popular but, if you don't have a FP+ or intend to wait for five hours, the park still won't have a lot to do. Especially when you factor the additional visitors from SWL (after they have emerged from that area). Adding MMRR is fine but they need to have ongoing construction to continue adding rides. If they are going to add an Indy ride, it should be underway. They also should ensure that new rides will be people eaters. I only wonder if they are waiting to see if they have sustained growth from SWL before adding anything else.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Municiberg will be gone before SWL opens. So, there goes all that extra capacity.

mlayton144

I'm there on Labor day. keeping my fingers crossed

Just asking , when has Disney ever opened a major attraction early ? Ever ? Not talking about soft openings, etc. Its amazing to me that Disney decided it was wise to open everything at once - SWGE, mickeys runaway, gondola , space restaurant, new illuminations, etc

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Its amazing to me that Disney decided it was wise to open everything at once - SWGE, mickeys runaway, gondola , space restaurant, new illuminations, etc

The long overdue SWL and the amount of money invested in it required a do-it-now! approach. Then the crowds that are going to descend on DHS required getting TSL, MMRR, and all the infrastructure near the gate to be done.... now! (Though, as far as attractions go, they didn't do enough.)

So, that should have been it, right? Well... Epcot's attendance numbers have been plateauing. DAK jumped ahead of them and it was a sure thing the DHS was going to beat Epcot, too. So, that meant in order to keep Epcot from being their least attended park (when, by its size, it should be the most attended park), then Epcot need updates... now!

Add to that the problem of overcrowding in MK despite attempts to 'fix' that with higher prices and off-peak discounts, then it was clear that all the parks not named "Magic Kingdom" needed updates.... now!

Oh, did I mention WDW's 50th Anniversary. Need new things for that... now!

And did I mention Universal's multi-billion dollar investment in their parks?....

Hawkeye_2018

DHS is obviously not designed to handle the crowds MK is capable of. But could the demand to visit DHS surpass MK? It will be interesting to see what Disney does to spread out the crowds between the 4 parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom