• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

ChewbaccaYourMum

Still, from what I've gathered, cost to renovate GMR as well as popularity overall is what drove MMRR to be built.
I know, and I'm not one who's so mad this is the way they went. But there's no denying it could have been done a different way and we would still be able to have the option to enjoy gmr whenever we liked.

MansionButler84

Advertisement
I know, and I'm not one who's so mad this is the way they went. But there's no denying it could have been done a different way and we would still be able to have the option to enjoy gmr whenever we liked.
I wouldn’t have cared if they gutted and replaced every scene in GMR. It was dated and aging poorly. The fact of the matter is that the overall park will desperately need GMR’s and MMRR’s capacity in about 9 months. But I’m sure Jack-Jack statues will work just as well, right?

Skibum1970

I wouldn’t have cared if they gutted and replaced every scene in GMR. It was dated and aging poorly. The fact of the matter is that the overall park will desperately need GMR’s and MMRR’s capacity in about 9 months. But I’m sure Jack-Jack statues will work just as well, right?
Exactly. Star Wars will be overwhelmingly popular but, if you don't have a FP+ or intend to wait for five hours, the park still won't have a lot to do. Especially when you factor the additional visitors from SWL (after they have emerged from that area). Adding MMRR is fine but they need to have ongoing construction to continue adding rides. If they are going to add an Indy ride, it should be underway. They also should ensure that new rides will be people eaters. I only wonder if they are waiting to see if they have sustained growth from SWL before adding anything else.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Municiberg will be gone before SWL opens. So, there goes all that extra capacity.

mlayton144

I'm there on Labor day. keeping my fingers crossed
Just asking , when has Disney ever opened a major attraction early ? Ever ? Not talking about soft openings, etc. Its amazing to me that Disney decided it was wise to open everything at once - SWGE, mickeys runaway, gondola , space restaurant, new illuminations, etc

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Its amazing to me that Disney decided it was wise to open everything at once - SWGE, mickeys runaway, gondola , space restaurant, new illuminations, etc
The long overdue SWL and the amount of money invested in it required a do-it-now! approach. Then the crowds that are going to descend on DHS required getting TSL, MMRR, and all the infrastructure near the gate to be done.... now! (Though, as far as attractions go, they didn't do enough.)

So, that should have been it, right? Well... Epcot's attendance numbers have been plateauing. DAK jumped ahead of them and it was a sure thing the DHS was going to beat Epcot, too. So, that meant in order to keep Epcot from being their least attended park (when, by its size, it should be the most attended park), then Epcot need updates... now!

Add to that the problem of overcrowding in MK despite attempts to 'fix' that with higher prices and off-peak discounts, then it was clear that all the parks not named "Magic Kingdom" needed updates.... now!

Oh, did I mention WDW's 50th Anniversary. Need new things for that... now!

And did I mention Universal's multi-billion dollar investment in their parks?....

Hawkeye_2018

DHS is obviously not designed to handle the crowds MK is capable of. But could the demand to visit DHS surpass MK? It will be interesting to see what Disney does to spread out the crowds between the 4 parks.

Skibum1970

DHS is obviously not designed to handle the crowds MK is capable of. But could the demand to visit DHS surpass MK? It will be interesting to see what Disney does to spread out the crowds between the 4 parks.
Not that I'm an expert but MK reports around 7,000,000 more guests per year that DHS. So, I don't think demand at DHS would come close to that. I am still puzzled by "we have all this land" and yet it is used inefficiently.

Either way, I am about as excited as MMRR as the two Star Wars rides, primarily because I figure that I'll be able to get on this ride more easily and it looks really fun.

rle4lunch

Not that I'm an expert but MK reports around 7,000,000 more guests per year that DHS. So, I don't think demand at DHS would come close to that. I am still puzzled by "we have all this land" and yet it is used inefficiently.

Either way, I am about as excited as MMRR as the two Star Wars rides, primarily because I figure that I'll be able to get on this ride more easily and it looks really fun.
Pretty sure SWGE is gonna absorb a BIG part of that 7 million next year.

jt04

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but... I really hope they maintain Sunset Boulevard (meaning the full walk down it) as the only way to reach Tower of Terror. Walking down that street is "Scene 1" of one of the greatest theme park experiences ever created. I think it would be a shame for a substantial percentage of first-time visitors to miss out on that experience. Again, I know there are efficiency concerns and the like, so it's just IMHO.
I doubt there are any plans to remove or reroute Sunset.

rle4lunch

I don't think it CAN though, and that's the big problem. Far more people will be WANTING to get in than the park is physically capable of handling. At least, that's what I understand our park insiders to be saying.
Maybe not, but they'll do their best to shove as many in as possible. Hell, they'll probably have a pre show gift shop, and CM's walking around with card scanners to buy your merch before getting on the ride...

Goofyernmost

In my mind the crowd is more likely to affect the other parks in a positive manner. It will be widely known that if you don't have a FP that the queue wait will be measured in hourly units. If you are determined to experience GE you are not going to leave the queue line to see something else. Just the FP people will have that luxury. So it is the front end of the group that will need more to do, and I think what is there and what will be opening previous will handle the overflow. It is SWL that is going to be a cluster. Many people like myself, that will not stand in line that long may go to DHS and experience the rest of the stuff, but, if I don't think I will get into the place I will just go to one of the other parks.

Marc Davis Fan

I doubt there are any plans to remove or reroute Sunset.
Right, of course not. I was referring to the thematic / guest experience problems that would result from creating a new route directly to the RnRC courtyard or the Sunset Ranch area.

Reactions: BMP

Purduevian

Part of the problem with this is very few people will go to WDW and not go to MK at least for a day. If someone traveling to Orlando Florida to experience SWGE, they will almost certainly spend a day at MK as well. The issue is to a lot of people MK is Disney World, even if they are not super interested in going, someone in their party will want to go. I expect MK will increase far more than AK or EPCOT in 2020, because more guests will come to the area, and all will go to MK.

Marc Davis Fan

Part of the problem with this is very few people will go to WDW and not go to MK at least for a day. If someone traveling to Orlando Florida to experience SWGE, they will almost certainly spend a day at MK as well. The issue is to a lot of people MK is Disney World, even if they are not super interested in going, someone in their party will want to go. I expect MK will increase far more than AK or EPCOT in 2020, because more guests will come to the area, and all will go to MK.
Exactly. And that's why MK needs more high-capacity e-tickets and land expansions. Not just because it will keep needing more capacity as more people visit WDW to see things that are opening in the other parks - but also because it "represents" WDW to most people, and thus should be an absolute top tier representation of the best of what Disney can do.

Top Bottom