Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

RSoxNo1

I’d say it’s a match for Aquatopia from TDS.
Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters was a significant disappointment for me relative to Aquatopia. By syncing the ride vehicles the way they did in LRR, the benefits of the LPS system were eliminated for me. You can predict the motion more in LRR then you ever could in Aquatopia or say the Hephalump scene in Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I haven't experienced Ratatouille in person, but it appears that it doesn't take full advantage of the LPS system either.

BrianLo

Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters was a significant disappointment for me relative to Aquatopia. By syncing the ride vehicles the way they did in LRR, the benefits of the LPS system were eliminated for me. You can predict the motion more in LRR then you ever could in Aquatopia or say the Hephalump scene in Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I haven't experienced Ratatouille in person, but it appears that it doesn't take full advantage of the LPS system either.

I beg to differ that Luigi's is 'predictable'. Aquatopia is LPS to Autotopia. Luigi's is totally random in its ability to position vehicles wherever it wants. The first actually travels somewhere in a mostly conga line, the second is a choreographed dance.

If anything on aquatopia you can see the ride path tire tracks. Aquatopia is theoretically achievable with a track, spinning vehicle platform and water dye, Luigi's really is not. The most coordinated you can achieve on a fixed platform is teacups or a whip ride.

I do think Luigi's is more fun to watch than to ride though. It just feels like more like a tech demo for LPS. Aquatopia is the better ride, but the footprint is huge and it has TDS to marvel at along the way.

Disneyson

Pal Mickey ran off of a system where points throughout the park would broadcast park news using IR or similar technology. The nose on the mickey would read the signals and inform the family carrying it that it had news through laughing, shaking, and saying "oh, gosh!" Pressing Mickey's hand would have him say the information, such as "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin has a very short wait! Ha Ha!" If it didn't have any news, it'd play trivia games or tell jokes, with one input on its chest and one on it's hand for the games.

The system was shut down in 2014, rendering all Pal Mickeys non-functional, outside of the games and trivia.

Some further history was present with the project, but that's what I remember from my childhood and a bit of Wikipedia I'm remembering from a few weeks back.

Pal Mickey would also say things like “THE 3:00 PARADE IS STARTING, OH BOY!” In the middle of Carousel of Progress and annoy everyone around you.

On a more positive note, he would get cold chills in the Haunted Mansion, explain backstory of rides before going on, ask you to hold his hand on Space Mountain, and tell you he found a fleck of Gold on his nose on Big Thunder, only to sneeze it off. He was really cute, and definitely furthered the story of the parks and got little kids into the story.

Movielover

I'm kind of surprised that we don't have a lot of photos showing the dismantled set pieces in a dumpster or similar fate given the fact that the demo is occurring right in front of our eyes in the middle of the park...

Maybe because at the time of demolition the side of the building where they were removing everything was a giant pile of dirt aka Star Wars construction.

RSoxNo1

I beg to differ that Luigi's is 'predictable'. Aquatopia is LPS to Autotopia. Luigi's is totally random in its ability to position vehicles wherever it wants. The first actually travels somewhere in a mostly conga line, the second is a choreographed dance.

If anything on aquatopia you can see the ride path tire tracks. Aquatopia is theoretically achievable with a track, spinning vehicle platform and water dye, Luigi's really is not. The most coordinated you can achieve on a fixed platform is teacups or a whip ride.

I do think Luigi's is more fun to watch than to ride though. It just feels like more like a tech demo for LPS. Aquatopia is the better ride, but the footprint is huge and it has TDS to marvel at along the way.
The choreographed dance makes it less interesting to me. I'm not sure what you mean by "Aquatopia is LPS to Autotopia" but boiling it down to ride experience, Aquatopia is significantly re-rideable whereas Luigi's isn't for me.

ToTBellHop

Even still, that substantial update could have taken place beginning July 1st and allowed for an updated GMR, Mickey and Minnie's and Star Wars Land to all open in 2019.
Yes. And maybe a new show or two over the next 18 months.

Very short-sighted. Now, inevitably, crowds will be insane in 2020 forcing them to blow a ton on a brand-new ride and the initial savings by removing GMR will have been wasted. They continually blow through money inefficiently.

drod1985

Even still, that substantial update could have taken place beginning July 1st and allowed for an updated GMR, Mickey and Minnie's and Star Wars Land to all open in 2019.

In this scenario, which I would have greatly preferred, where would M&MRR have gone?

PorterRedkey

It is my understanding that the Aquatopia "boats" cross paths. This would not be possible with a track. A static track would not allow the vehicles to crossover existing track, while the LPS allows you to crossover a previously taken route. Is that not correct?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh I agree 100%. But there’s a mentality why spend 100 million fixing what’s needed when they could put the money to something cheaper to maintain and marketable as a new ride.

brb1006

Pal Mickey would also say things like “THE 3:00 PARADE IS STARTING, OH BOY!” In the middle of Carousel of Progress and annoy everyone around you.

On a more positive note, he would get cold chills in the Haunted Mansion, explain backstory of rides before going on, ask you to hold his hand on Space Mountain, and tell you he found a fleck of Gold on his nose on Big Thunder, only to sneeze it off. He was really cute, and definitely furthered the story of the parks and got little kids into the story.
I wish there were audio files of Mickey's phrases.

Magic Feather

I’m sure it’s here somewhere, but what’s the word on the ride system for this attraction? I’ve read that’ll it’ll be a completely new ride system with 4 cars holding 4 guests each that disconnect from one another at different points in the ride and the subsequently read they are reusing the GMR vehicles (still disconnecting from one another at various points). Do we know the verdict?
Yes to the 4 vehicles that disconnect. No to the reusing of GMR vehicles. More than 4 per car.

Donaldfan1934

Ummm.. just thought I’d mention... did everyone just COMPLETELY forget that Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse (not to be confused with Clubhouse) existed at some point???... not to mention, Three Musketeers & Prince & the Pauper? That’s how I was personally introduced to Mickey. The more common, “corporate” Mickey can have just as much charm, personality, and action as the original. I have to say, I *completely* agree with the ones saying that the most current style is gross and bizarre and really doesn’t feel Disney at all.
I think the real problem here is the current gen “edgy”/ John K-esque Mickey *and* the preschool Clubhouse Mickey both lack in balancing both the original personality and the look and charm we’ve come to know and love. With that being said. They really should’ve done something more in tune with Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse and Mickey going through the decades of his past generations, leading up to the current. They had just the right humor, wackiness, and charm of the original shorts but still done in a contemporary, modern style. I’m honestly baffled at the sheer amount that forgot about this. But that’s all I’ll say on the matter. :

Now that's the Mickey Mouse I grew up with. Everything you've said here couldn't be more on point. I can't agree more this Disney should've stuck with what they were the Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse era. Instead, they tried to fix what wasn't broken and created a fandom divide on the state of the characters as can be seen in this thread. Honestly, I feel like "tried to fix what wasn't broken" can sum up about 90% of my issues with TWDC over the years.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom