Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

flynnibus

Premium Member
Same reason you still see Mickey with a white face in so much merch even though he changed to a tan color half a century ago.

Because Disney uses all different Mickey designs at the same time.
A newer design never completely replaces all the ones that came before.

Yet... all the entertainment forms of Mickey ARE consistent... as is nearly every form used in advertising/media.

So when we are telling people to deal with a new standard... should you be asking Disney to keep itself current first?

Besides the Disney Jr version of Mickey... this really is the first 'conflicting' mickey situation that I can think of in WDW... They've kept the parks version of Mickey pretty consistent with the current media version of Mickey. Logos are different from character representation...

Timothy_Q

So when we are telling people to deal with a new standard... should you be asking Disney to keep itself current first?

Besides the Disney Jr version of Mickey... this really is the first 'conflicting' mickey situation that I can think of in WDW... They've kept the parks version of Mickey pretty consistent with the current media version of Mickey. Logos are different from character representation...
I’m not asking them anything. This is what they’re doing.

If people can accept Disney Jr Mickey, Sorcerer Mickey and Steamboat Mickey all in the same park, I’m sure they can deal with another one.

TeriofTerror

No surprise to anyone here that I'm old and crotchety, and as resistant to change as your average Disney fan. I was not initially enamored with this version of Mickey.
But it has really grown on me. I think it helps that he seems more like fun-loving Mickey, and a little less like corporate icon Mickey -- at least to me.

GlacierGlacier

If you go to Mickey's page on the Disney Store website, you can see character images placed between the merch.

They use all different kinds of Mickeys there, all together in the same page.

And the irony is the new Mickey looks closer to Steamboat Mickey than the corporate mascot one does.
Both are flat, have white faces, skinnier bodies and the original eye design with big pupils.
Corporate Mickey is the one that really stands out

View attachment 294182View attachment 294183View attachment 294184
The thing I enjoy about the new shorts / design is that mickey actually has a character.

I grew up with Corporate Mickey, and to me he was absolutely boring. Literally just existed in my mind as the host of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the doll that shook when wait times were low on certain rides. The new shorts have actually made me care about mickey, relate to mickey, and enjoy seeing mickey.

And for this ride - seeing this style executed in real life is likely going to blow my big yellow shoes off. You think Disney earned a nice collection of THEA awards with Pandora/GotG? Just wait for 2019.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is it just me or is this discussion about the style of Mickey becoming the new AC?

You mean how every time MMRR is mentioned, someone says (again) that they hate the new Mickey-Shorts Mickey and it then an argument ensues?

No, not as bad as AC, because with AC, randos continually show up to ask about it. With this, it only rears its head whenever there's MMRR info.

Skibum1970

You mean how every time MMRR is mentioned, someone says (again) that they hate the new Mickey-Shorts Mickey and it then an argument ensues?

No, not as bad as AC, because with AC, randos continually show up to ask about it. With this, it only rears its head whenever there's MMRR info.

It is a bit weird that arguments are erupting over a cartoon character. It is also kind of funny that we get so heated about the parks. No one forces us to go to the parks and fork over tons of dollars. Unless we're a stockholder (should add significant), we have zero financial gain or input on the parks. However, some people really get worked up about these topics. Which Mickey is in a ride, A/C in gondolas, the evils of FP+ (actually, that one might be real), and the list goes on. I mean, I get being fans of the park but we might be going overboard.

Heck, I'm just happy that they are actually building a ride with Mickey in the ride. For a park that "all started with a mouse", they had no attractions with him in it. Also, I am happy that they are building a dark ride that will last for more than a couple minutes and can be enjoyed by everyone. Do I like the new Mickey shorts? No but that doesn't stop me from looking forward to this ride.

Inspired Figment

Ummm.. just thought I’d mention... did everyone just COMPLETELY forget that Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse (not to be confused with Clubhouse) existed at some point???... not to mention, Three Musketeers & Prince & the Pauper? That’s how I was personally introduced to Mickey. The more common, “corporate” Mickey can have just as much charm, personality, and action as the original. I have to say, I *completely* agree with the ones saying that the most current style is gross and bizarre and really doesn’t feel Disney at all.
I think the real problem here is the current gen “edgy”/ John K-esque Mickey *and* the preschool Clubhouse Mickey both lack in balancing both the original personality and the look and charm we’ve come to know and love. With that being said. They really should’ve done something more in tune with Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse and Mickey going through the decades of his past generations, leading up to the current. They had just the right humor, wackiness, and charm of the original shorts but still done in a contemporary, modern style. I’m honestly baffled at the sheer amount that forgot about this. But that’s all I’ll say on the matter. :

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ummm.. just thought I’d mention... did everyone just COMPLETELY forget that Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse (not to be confused with Clubhouse) existed at some point???... not to mention, Three Musketeers & Prince & the Pauper? That’s how I was personally introduced to Mickey. The more common, “corporate” Mickey can have just as much charm, personality, and action as the original. I have to say, I *completely* agree with the ones saying that the most current style is gross and bizarre and really doesn’t feel Disney at all.
I think the real problem here is both this current gen “edgy”/ Ren & Stimpy-EsqueMickey and the Clubhouse Mickey are lacking in balancing both the original personality and the look and charm we’ve come to know and love. With that being said. They really should’ve done something more in the style of Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse and Mickey going through the decades. Had just the right humor, wackiness, and charm of the original shorts but was still contemporary and modern. I’m honestly baffled at the sheer amount that forgot about this. But that’s all I’ll say on the matter. :

I think most didn't forget. I just don't think these cartoons are that relevant. Think I mentioned this earlier, but the new animation style seems to be better suited for the type of attraction they are putting together.

Inspired Figment

I think most didn't forget. I just don't think these cartoons are that relevant. Think I mentioned this earlier, but the new animation style seems to be better suited for the type of attraction they are putting together.
I suppose so... But i dunno... personally I think the animation style is only half of the issue here. Because not only is the style itself affected... but so is the character integrity. The type of humor in those new shorts really doesn’t work in a Parks attraction I feel. But.. either way. I genuinely hope this attraction is good in the end and I’m sure the technology will be great. But it’s indeed a shame that *that* is what they feel is the best way to represent Mickey and friends. Oh well.. doesnt really surprise me

brb1006

I think the real problem here is the current gen “edgy”/ John K-esque Mickey *and* the preschool Clubhouse Mickey both lack in balancing both the original personality and the look and charm we’ve come to know and love. With that being said. They really should’ve done something more in tune with Mickey Mouse Works/House of Mouse and Mickey going through the decades of his past generations, leading up to the current. They had just the right humor, wackiness, and charm of the original shorts but still done in a contemporary, modern style. I’m honestly baffled at the sheer amount that forgot about this. But that’s all I’ll say on the matter. :

House Of Mouse was to good to last. I wish the show got revived in the future. Hopefully for Disney Streaming Service.

IMDREW

I don’t really like the new animation style, but I have to say, it’s so different. And it will give the ride such a distinct look that it could work really brilliantly. I mean, when I imagine the projected 2,5D sets in the ride, I think I’d rather have the animation style of the new shorts vs the old ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom