Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Casper Gutman

Well, yeah, the outside of ST has a wink to that this is a set piece, but once you enter the building, everything is place-set as being in the SW universe. If the AT-AT was removed, there'd be no sign to indicate that "we're filming a move here!"

Well, the very start of the indoor queue maintains the backstage conceit as well before transitioning into the spaceport. And of course, the whole ride structure is a giant soundstage. So the attraction will require some work to transition from the "backstage" to the "immersive" theming.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, the very start of the indoor queue maintains the backstage conceit as well before transitioning into the spaceport. And of course, the whole ride structure is a giant soundstage. So the attraction will require some work to transition from the "backstage" to the "immersive" theming.

Yeah... that "very start of the indoor queue" is picking up your glasses and a 10 foot walk to a very well themed spaceport complete with AAs. And there's nothing about picking up 3D glasses which screams "we're filming a movie!" It simple screams "You're going on a simulator!"

Also, the soundstage structure is something you see on the outside, like the faux AT-ATs.

So, the statement I made stands. Once you go inside, there is no more conceit that you're on a soundstage.

Amidala

The one that moves at walking speed where we wallow in the Disney Brand basking in the glow of it's corporate icon. Spiritual elation for the folks here. 6 mins. in hell for normal people.

MMRR is the exact opposite of that.

Yes. And also an attraction that (IMO) would never establish itself as its own, unique ride outside of GMR's shadow.

First time I've watched a video of this ride - wow. Certainly puts the two US Pooh rides to shame. If MMRR is anything like this with 3D figures, elaborate sets, and lots of motion, then I'll "forgive" the decision to use the new art design. I may actually be getting excited about this...

I don't get the feeling from what we've heard so far that there will be anywhere near as many animatronics as Hunny Hunt. But I'm still not even clear yet on if MMRR can be considered a "dark ride" as we would usually define it. I've been picturing a lot more screens complemented by some physical set pieces and one or two animatronic-like figures (?) but I could be wrong there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The interior layout of the DLP version is identical to the WDW one, save for an extra hallway. They certainly have a design for total immersion of the interior.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I like the concept and that these characters will feature in an attraction.

I just really dislike the animation style that Disney have chosen to go with and it's put a bit of a dampener on my enthusiasm for this particular attraction.

It's completely underwhelming. The art direction of those shorts and I suppose this attraction is something I'd expect from Cartoon Network, not Disney. IMO it isn't to par with their standards.

PizzaPlanet

It's completely underwhelming. The art direction of those shorts and I suppose this attraction is something I'd expect from Cartoon Network, not Disney. IMO it isn't to par with their standards.
What do you expect, some complex live-action CGI hybrid? It's supposed to be simple animation that's reminiscent of the classic shorts.

Darth Sidious

What do you expect, some complex live-action CGI hybrid? It's supposed to be simple animation that's reminiscent of the classic shorts.

mickey-mouse-in-new-york-weenie-a-new-animated-short-by-disney1.jpg

VS

hqdefault.jpg

The shorts on XD don't look like the originals. I am not simply being contrarian, the quality is markedly worse.

"Get a Horse" was a good example of "throwback", these shorts are not. I don't mind the shorts doing something different but I prefer this ride to represent the traditional animation or 3D animation used in "Get a Horse".

Amidala

I think it's a little strange that people have spent so much time criticizing the flash animation of the Mickey shorts and claiming they're a poor fit for MMRR. The shorts we've seen obviously aren't of cinematic quality–they're made for television. But we've had no confirmation (that I know of?) that the MMRR scenes will be animated through the same process. All we know for sure is that the character designs and characterization will be based on the new shorts (to an extent–even from the few previews we've been shown, it's obviously Goofy's look has been cleaned up) and that creators from the shorts will be involved. A WDW attraction is bound to have a higher budget than a single television short.

I understand if the character designs and humor just aren't your thing (I still think the contemporary "classic" Mickey would make no sense in the context of this ride), but at the same time...I can't see the same exact rules and limitations of a series of shorts applying to an E-Ticket attraction.

Disneyhead'71

Me: "Man! All Disney does is peddle nostalgia. Would it kill 'em to try something different?"

Also Me: "OMG! What the heck are they thinking! Why are they going with the new look. And screens? Seriously? Why can't they just do it the right way?" I mean, how hard is it? Here is the check list.

Family Friendly ride system so the whole family can all ride together including 3 day old baby Sarah and Grandma Millie and her pacemaker. Studies show 97% of Disney Parks fans suffer motion sickness, so if the ride has to move, move it slowly enough that only really observant people can tell it's moving. If possible make it a ride like Muppet*Vision or Philharmagic. Except without the 3D, again because of the motion sickness issue.

Lots of robots. Traditional character design only, duh!

Family Safe Content: no more scary rides like Stitch's Pants Wetting Adventure and Bug's..are Terrifying. Seriously! Child abuse."

Last edited:

Movielover

Oh boy this going to be a long post...
0d45700641c4e81603fc8a43315e56b9.jpg

"Man! All Disney does is peddle nostalgia.

Do you not go outside at all? Literally everything in our pop culture of today is being inspired by nostalgia, films are being remade, television shows are being brought back from the dead. Every single aspect from clothing to toys is being drudged up to take advantage of your brand recognition. And being that it's close to 90 years since Walt created Mickey I'd say Disney has it's fair share of nostalgia to dig through. Do you remember Mickey Mouse?????

pepperidge-farm-remembers-8-pepperidge-farms-remembers.jpg

OMG! What the heck are they thinking! Why are they going with the new look. And screens? Seriously? Why can't they just do it the right way?" I mean, how hard is it? Here is the check list.

This is personal taste since art is subjective but the new shorts are extremely popular with all ages and are easy to relate and connect to.

Family Friendly ride system so the whole family can all ride together including 3 day old baby Sarah and Grandma Millie and her pacemaker.

I would question the logic of bringing a 3 day old baby and possibly her mother on board or the stability of bringing Grandma on any ride. They might end up having to take that exclusive ride on an ambulance backstage... They could even theme it to Walt's days of driving one.

volunteer-walt-disney-1919.jpg

Studies show 97% of Disney Parks fans suffer motion sickness,

And 100% of people who make up statistics don't show sources! (Movielover, WDWMagic, 2017)

so if the ride has to move, move it slowly enough that only really observant people can tell it's moving

I think by that point you are actually not moving at all?

"Hey kids, you having fun on this stationary ride yet?"
NseViZ.gif

If possible make it a ride like Muppet*Vision or Philharmagic. Except without the 3D, again because of the motion sickness issue.

Those are not rides...

Lots of robots.

It has been confirmed that there will be AA's.

Traditional character design only, duh!

Again subjective, but Mickey in these new shorts looks a lot closer to the original "traditional" style than he has in decades...

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Sidious

I think it's a little strange that people have spent so much time criticizing the flash animation of the Mickey shorts and claiming they're a poor fit for MMRR. The shorts we've seen obviously aren't of cinematic quality–they're made for television. But we've had no confirmation (that I know of?) that the MMRR scenes will be animated through the same process. All we know for sure is that the character designs and characterization will be based on the new shorts (to an extent–even from the few previews we've been shown, it's obviously Goofy's look has been cleaned up) and that creators from the shorts will be involved. A WDW attraction is bound to have a higher budget than a single television short.

I understand if the character designs and humor just aren't your thing (I still think the contemporary "classic" Mickey would make no sense in the context of this ride), but at the same time...I can't see the same exact rules and limitations of a series of shorts applying to an E-Ticket attraction.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-railway-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

The concept art and announcement confirmed that it's based on the shorts. YouTube "Mickey Mouse: Get a Horse!" which played before Frozen to see how contemporary and classic can meet. The new shorts have a different style all together.

kthomas105

Movielover

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Take the term animatronic loosely for this attraction. Don't expect a Mickey A-100 yelling at you from atop a pedestal.

Yes but the point is there will still be some form of physical character there to see, unlike the 100% screenz crap that is being tossed around here.

jt04

Now that all the signage is gone that can only help with the projections in the future. Hopefully they are still considering a removable stage.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Oh boy this going to be a long post...
0d45700641c4e81603fc8a43315e56b9.jpg

Do you not go outside at all? Literally everything in our pop culture of today is being inspired by nostalgia, films are being remade, television shows are being brought back from the dead. Every single aspect from clothing to toys is being drudged up to take advantage of your brand recognition. And being that it's close to 90 years since Walt created Mickey I'd say Disney has it's fair share of nostalgia to dig through. Do you remember Mickey Mouse?????

pepperidge-farm-remembers-8-pepperidge-farms-remembers.jpg

This is personal taste since art is subjective but the new shorts are extremely popular with all ages and are easy to relate and connect to.

I would question the logic of bringing a 3 day old baby and possibly her mother on board or the stability of bringing Grandma on any ride. They might end up having to take that exclusive ride on an ambulance backstage... They could even theme it to Walt's days of driving one.

volunteer-walt-disney-1919.jpg

And 100% of people who make up statistics don't show sources! (Movielover, WDWMagic, 2017)

I think by that point you are actually not moving at all?

"Hey kids, you having fun on this stationary ride yet?"
NseViZ.gif

Those are not rides...

It has been confirmed that there will be AA's.

Again subjective, but Mickey in these new shorts looks a lot closer to the original "traditional" style than he has in decades...

I would argue that this is detrimental to a child's learning and ability to processes events in life. If we do not challenge children and respect their ability to feel and understand emotions like fear and sadness then we are not preparing them for life ahead and they end up as a non productive member of society... also known as a Liberal Leftest! ;)

Also dumbing down anything in order to please you as a parent's view on what they "think" their precious little ones should be learning is helping no one but your ego.

1bG3Tem.jpg

I'm pretty sure the guy you're replying to was mocking all the people against this ride...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom