• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

SplashZander

That's the difference between an amusement park and a theme park. A theme requires a bit of story behind it. IMO, people who hate preshows have the attention spans of infants and would be better off going to Six Flags or wherever where they can jump in a ride vehicle and GO REAL FAST HURR HURR. Brilliant preshows like the Tower's and MMRR's are wasted on them.
There is a very definite line between good and bad preshows. Rise, ToT, and Haunted Mansion all have outstanding preshows, but preshows have crept their way into a load of attractions, which isn't bad, but it has almost become overused which diminishes its effect.

If it is my first time experiencing a ride, a preshow is always welcome because it's a storytelling device, but for crazed lunatics, like myself, that have been to every attraction at least a dozen times, sometimes you just want to experience the physicality of the ride.

My favorite memories at Disney were around a decade ago, real late when the parks were virtually empty during extra magic hours; it was amazing to walk on virtually any ride without a wait. But preshows inherently delay the time it takes to get on a ride.

RnRc is definitely a great example of a somewhat annoying preshow; the theming is light and it isn't all that interesting -- the main appeal is the thrill of the ride, so if you've ridden the attraction a dozen times, the pre-show does not have all that much value.

Concluding note: I think it sounds like I hate theming and story, but that's not the case. There is a place for everything, including preshows, but sometimes, they're obstrusive.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
There is a very definite line between good and bad preshows. Rise, ToT, and Haunted Mansion all have outstanding preshows, but preshows have crept their way into a load of attractions, which isn't bad, but it has almost become overused which diminishes its effect.

If it is my first time experiencing a ride, a preshow is always welcome because it's a storytelling device, but for crazed lunatics, like myself, that have been to every attraction at least a dozen times, sometimes you just want to experience the physicality of the ride.

My favorite memories at Disney were around a decade ago, real late when the parks were virtually empty during extra magic hours; it was amazing to walk on virtually any ride without a wait. But preshows inherently delay the time it takes to get on a ride.

RnRc is definitely a great example of a somewhat annoying preshow; the theming is light and it isn't all that interesting -- the main appeal is the thrill of the ride, so if you've ridden the attraction a dozen times, the pre-show does not have all that much value.

Concluding note: I think it sounds like I hate theming and story, but that's not the case. There is a place for everything, including preshows, but sometimes, they're obstrusive.
Most of the time you’d just be stood in a queue doing nothing. Remember preshows are also designed to regulate capacity.

SplashZander

Most of the time you’d just be stood in a queue doing nothing. Remember preshows are also designed to regulate capacity.
Oh yea, 100%. FoP and Mission Space are great demonstrations of this. You're just waiting for the next "show" to start, but in RRC, if it is truly walk on, the preshow is actually delaying you from riding the ride.

It really isn't much of an issue, since the days of walking on rides seem to be dead, so the main drawback of a preshow is not really even applicable in the pre-covid crowded status of the parks.

Bostb71

If the theming is well done, I don't mind just standing in the queue. None of the other coasters require a pre-show to explain the back story.

HauntedPirate

Sheltered-at-home Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If the theming is well done, I don't mind just standing in the queue. None of the other coasters require a pre-show to explain the back story.

I love the music and the feel of the Tower queue so much I’d stand in it willingly. 😀
However, that has nothing to do with MMRR, lol. Back on topic we go.

aliceismad

Preshows are part of the entertainment. Even the interactive line elements in Pooh, etc. are part of the entertainment. Anything that distracts the guest and makes them feel as though the line is shorter than it is adds to guest satisfaction and thus allows Disney to create longer lines. I've waited 90 minutes in line for Batman at Six Flags Atlanta - worst 90 minutes ever and not worth the ride. Now Indy at DL I've waited for 90 minutes multiple times and I'm ok with that because I love the queue, and it doesn't even have much in the way of interactive elements or preshow. I'm all for preshows, unless Disney is just gonna add more rides or cut people so we all get shorter lines.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
If you are stuck in the end scene after Mickey and Minnie sing their song, Mickey actually informs the guests that they are experiencing a brief delay, which is honestly hilarious.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJywHBshJl1/?igshid=1y2exof9sx3vv
It’s not the first time interesting, themed audio has been used for an unscheduled stop but they are nice to hear.

Rise for example has quite a lot but I first heard one on RnRC quite a while back.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom