Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

RobWDW1971

Here’s another good 360. Ah, it sure is fun to ride a ride backwards. :)

Remember to watch it on the YouTube app for best results.

I always judge a ride by how much it lives up to what it wants to be - I think this ride wanted to be a zany ride through a cartoon world and accomplishes that exactly. Compared to MFSR, which didn't live up to its goals, for example.

I also like this trend of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Frozen ride, Rat, and this - keep making fun family rides all ages can enjoy. It will continue to pay off for decades to separate the parks from thrill park wannabees.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Alright, got to ride today, with a Fastpass a friend snagged for us. Just like with Rise, I avoided all videos and most details but had a decent idea of what to expect. Thoughts!

- I love the look of the neon sign at the entrance, but I really wish it wasn't in the center of the facade. You can see it from the park entrance and it diminishes the look and importance of the Chinese Theater into being just a ride facade in a way GMR did not.
- I love that the theater interior was kept mostly intact. They did a pretty good job of making the redone area that used to be the large theater look cohesive with the existing section.
- The pre-show is fun. Just like on MFSR, you exit through a duplicate of it. Most people did not turn around to realize this or see "The End" on the screen.
- The transition to the cartoon look is cool and the loading area is fun and upbeat.
- In common WDW fashion, I found the audio levels to be a bit unbalanced. I had a hard time making out what the characters were saying. Sometimes it was too quiet, sometimes it was too echo-y. I hope this will continue to get tweaked.
- My first impression is that I wish there had been a bit more of a balance between physical set movement and the projections. The factory scene is a definite wow moment, but other scenes felt a bit empty and lacked a wow factor. I feel that more set pieces positioned between the projection walls and the track area could be used to add more depth. I also was expecting them to get a little more creative with the projection-mapping tech than they did. For instance, a fourth-wall breaking moment where your vehicles crash into an area that hasn't been finished being "drawn" yet, and the scene gets drawn around you. However, there's SO much to see that it would take several rides to really get a feel for just how much happens in each scene, so this critique is subject to change.
- I had actually seen this complaint prior to riding, so I'm not sure if I would have noticed it but I think I would have - some of the show scenes are too big. The wild west and amusement park scenes are the biggest offenders. When the room has to be big enough to accommodate four vehicles to slide in multiple directions, they end up feeling warehouse-y. The rest of the scenes are more intimate, having a more linear track space. A lot of the new, trackless but low budget rides being built in parks like in Dubai have a similar issue of being too big and open. Which leads me to my next point:
- I hope that, "Look! These trackless vehicles can go anywhere on this giant floor!" doesn't continue to be a trend in new rides because it requires those massive show scenes with too much floor space. This isn't an issue on Pooh's Hunny Hunt because the ceilings in that ride are much lower, and it makes sense on ROTR since you're on a giant starship.
- Having Mickey, Minnie, and a few other characters be 3D animatronics while everything else is flat looks weird, especially Mickey and Minnie's heads.

But having said all that, I'm a jaded harsh theme park critic and most people will not think this deeply about it at all. Overall this ride is a total delight and a very much needed addition to DHS! HOWEVER. This in no way needed to replace The Great Movie Ride, and should have been built in addition to it.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Who said that this ride is only for “babies and toddlers”? It’s a dang family ride and with that I’m very much looking forward to the day that I get to experience this ride with my parents, which still may be years and years away.

And that’s cool and all, that you won’t stand in line for this ride for the incoming years! One less person in front of us in line!! 😎

I also for one can’t wait to marvel at the engineering and wonders behind MMRR. After riding ROTR, I still think about it everyday and how it was just out of this world. I completely expect for this ride to do the same.

Nice try

Magic Feather

I think why so many people are caught off guard by the Daisy and Tornado Room is because they follow a very different aesthetic from the rest of the attraction. For instance, the Tornado is entirely blacklight in the middle of darkness, with no real vibrant backdrops. Meanwhile, Daisy is in a mostly realistic, fluorescent-lit dance studio. Even the LED flowers in the mirror don't seem to blend with the Mickey Mouse cartoon aesthetic. Also, for all the people saying that the dance studio is "just to show off the trackless tech," I actually felt as though it is one of the areas where it is most underutilized.
While I understand that the pace is meant to be frantic (and that the dispatch intervals also require it to be so), I just wish the ride would slow down in some scenes. For instance, in the carnival, it would be nice to have 15 seconds of just carnival. Maybe have one of the carnies call out to your car, or have a clown mess with another. The city scene could also linger a bit more IMO.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Does it seem like scenes are ending before last train car arrives?
On the YT videos it looks like the pacing or timing is slightly ahead.

Thoughts:
-The Tornado scene needs work ( maybe it needs a projected transitional scene at the end?)
-Daisy's Dance Studio is bare. Once the thrill of the mirrored wall is gone there's very little to look at.
( need more to see initially, add mood lighting. Would be nice if Daisy and the platform she's on visually changes)
-Conductor Goofy effect on train is shorter/smaller than window size
-Various "shadows" are out of sync with their forefront projections (anyone else notice this?)
-AAs look off if viewed from any angle other than straight on ( I still don't like them!)

Things I'd like to see changed or added:
- An AA in the Underwater Scene
- More Physical effects and 4D additions; Bubbles? Water Spray? Fog? Aromas? Fiber optic Sparks?
- More in Tornado Room (an Oz gag as a nod to GMR?)
- More interaction from the characters; engaging with the riders
- Different AAs

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

The strangest thing to me is the tornado “scene”. Here you have the perfect setup to pull a scene from what is arguably the greatest Mickey Mouse cartoon of all time, The Band Concert, And you just make a black room.

The thought clearly crossed their mind. When the Twister appears, the first few notes of William Tell’s The Storm Play. You have random floating instruments in the Twister prop. But that’s it.

Here’s what they should do. Make the room projected to look like your in the tornado. Have the cars spin around the Center as characters and houses float around on the projected walls. Feature animatronics of Horace on Drums and Clarabelle on the flute. Keep Minnie and Pluto in the Twister prop, but have Conductor Mickey (or maybe Conductor Oswald?) floating on top, attempting to simmer down the storm.

UNCgolf

- I hope that, "Look! These trackless vehicles can go anywhere on this giant floor!" doesn't continue to be a trend in new rides because it requires those massive show scenes with too much floor space. This isn't an issue on Pooh's Hunny Hunt because the ceilings in that ride are much lower, and it makes sense on ROTR since you're on a giant starship.

I know I've hammered on this point several times, but this is a big deal for me -- Disney needs to realize they can build similar rides with tracked vehicles, which are both easier to operate and would require less space. Martin pointed out they did build something relatively similar with the newest version of Alice in Wonderland at Disneyland, so I'm hopeful they keep it up.

I like the Daisy scene and the waterfall, which require the trackless vehicles, but most of the ride (at least based on watching POVs) would function essentially the same on a track. There's no need to try to use the trackless vehicles for everything; build some solid C and D tickets using some of this technology (but with more AAs, hopefully) and a similar level of detail.

EPCOTCenterLover

"For instance, a fourth-wall breaking moment where your vehicles crash into an area that hasn't been finished being "drawn" yet, and the scene gets drawn around you."

"The strangest thing to me is the tornado “scene”. Here you have the perfect setup to pull a scene from what is arguably the greatest Mickey Mouse cartoon of all time, The Band Concert, And you just make a black room.

The thought clearly crossed their mind. When the Twister appears, the first few notes of William Tell’s The Storm Play. You have random floating instruments in the Twister prop. But that’s it.

Here’s what they should do. Make the room projected to look like your in the tornado. Have the cars spin around the Center as characters and houses float around on the projected walls. Feature animatronics of Horace on Drums and Clarabelle on the flute. Keep Minnie and Pluto in the Twister prop, but have Conductor Mickey (or maybe Conductor Oswald?) floating on top, attempting to simmer down the storm."

These are GREAT ideas! Proof positive that some of us could be wonderful Imagineers!

Steph15251

Looking at the videos the ride looks so much fun,yes there can always be improvement but it looks like a great family ride.My twin went on it and she loved it but wanted it to be longer,makes sense seeing as SSE is one of her favorite rides.I feel adults would notice stuff that kids would not.It seems like kids would love this.

Brer Oswald

"For instance, a fourth-wall breaking moment where your vehicles crash into an area that hasn't been finished being "drawn" yet, and the scene gets drawn around you."

"The strangest thing to me is the tornado “scene”. Here you have the perfect setup to pull a scene from what is arguably the greatest Mickey Mouse cartoon of all time, The Band Concert, And you just make a black room.

Here’s what they should do. Make the room projected to look like your in the tornado. Have the cars spin around the Center as characters and houses float around on the projected walls. Feature animatronics of Horace on Drums and Clarabelle on the flute. Keep Minnie and Pluto in the Twister prop, but have Conductor Mickey (or maybe Conductor Oswald?) floating on top, attempting to simmer down the storm."

These are GREAT ideas! Proof positive that some of us could be wonderful Imagineers!
I hope to be one someday.

Pete C

The strangest thing to me is the tornado “scene”. Here you have the perfect setup to pull a scene from what is arguably the greatest Mickey Mouse cartoon of all time, The Band Concert, And you just make a black room.

Here’s what they should do. Make the room projected to look like your in the tornado. Have the cars spin around the Center as characters and houses float around on the projected walls. Feature animatronics of Horace on Drums and Clarabelle on the flute. Keep Minnie and Pluto in the Twister prop, but have Conductor Mickey (or maybe Conductor Oswald?) floating on top, attempting to simmer down the storm.

Yes! The first thing I thought after watching the ride-through was how they should have made the walls of the tornado room similar to the ending scene of Mystic Manor. I love your idea of elaborating on the classic scene from The Band Concert. That room could have been epic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom