Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

choco choco

Honestly, the factory scene couldn’t really be done without trackless (or at least seriously spacing out trains, and neither could Goofy breaking away (would take a complicated series of well-time track switches). Also, the Daisy dance scene (on further investigation) is really just to give the factory enough time to cycle and reset.

Both good points. Would be an interesting problem for a designer: really fun to work on and the type of thing they love to solve.

Tom Morrow

I don’t mind the Daisy scene, it’s a funny non-sequitur that makes people laugh. I just wish, as mentioned earlier in the thread, you entered the room in darkness thinking you’re in danger and then they surprise you. As is, waiting for all the cars to enter is underutilized because you can already guess something silly will happen.

I also wish it looked like the rest of the ride, it’s the only moment that looks “real world”.

Hotamber

It needed bubbles, fire, scents or water effects to be on the same level as the Universal screen based rides. The 1992 Muppet vision 3D exploded walls are still the best projection effect in the park. The preshow with the exploding movie screen was better then anything on the ride. The orginal song seemed like a lazy ripoff of Starships "Nothings gonna stop us now." Was not impressed at all and would rank the Jimmy Fallon ride above it for its pizza scents, moonshot roller coaster and more coherent plot

Brer Oswald

Imagine if the waterfall scene was like the one in “On Ice”, where you approach the edge where the ice breaks off into the waterfall.

mickEblu

I think why so many people are caught off guard by the Daisy and Tornado Room is because they follow a very different aesthetic from the rest of the attraction. For instance, the Tornado is entirely blacklight in the middle of darkness, with no real vibrant backdrops. Meanwhile, Daisy is in a mostly realistic, fluorescent-lit dance studio. Even the LED flowers in the mirror don't seem to blend with the Mickey Mouse cartoon aesthetic. Also, for all the people saying that the dance studio is "just to show off the trackless tech," I actually felt as though it is one of the areas where it is most underutilized.
While I understand that the pace is meant to be frantic (and that the dispatch intervals also require it to be so), I just wish the ride would slow down in some scenes. For instance, in the carnival, it would be nice to have 15 seconds of just carnival. Maybe have one of the carnies call out to your car, or have a clown mess with another. The city scene could also linger a bit more IMO.

That’s exactly how I felt watching. Of all the scenes I would want to spend more time in, Daisys Dance Studio is dead last. I’d like some more time in the city and carnival scenes.

mickEblu

I'm stumped by the Daisy scene. It's not that it's bad, it's that it slows down all the action of the story for... what reason? Is it supposed to be some sort of undeniable confirmation that our runaway cars aren't really rolling away due to momentum?

I guess it's just supposed to be some sort of non-sequitur.

Maybe they need the time to reset something in next room. Regardless odd choice and my least favorite room.

jt04

There's just something so perfectly off and the look and feel of the room that makes the dance room shine IMO. You go from chaos to the rhythm of timed dance steps and then back into chaos. The lighting is also on target! Amazing aesthetics. You see this technique of chaos-order-chaos used all the time in entertainment and I think they nail it here. I love the suggestion some have made that you should enter a dark room expecting danger and suddenly you are in a dance lesson. Not sure it was possible though.

In any case, hope they consider adding different versions of the Daisy vignette. There are so many potential one-liners and dance sequences they can play with here.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
There's just something so perfectly off and the look and feel of the room that makes the dance room shine IMO. You go from chaos to the rhythm of timed dance steps and then back into chaos. The lighting is also on target! Amazing aesthetics. You see this technique of chaos-order-chaos used all the time in entertainment and I think they nail it here. I love the suggestion some have made that you should enter a dark room expecting danger and suddenly you are in a dance lesson. Not sure it was possible though.

In any case, hope they consider adding different versions of the Daisy vignette. There are so many potential one-liners and dance sequences they can play with here.

There's a lot of potential here for randomization. If only they'd do it. That said, the dance studio is very "uncartoony" in it's aesthetic. Not a fan "as is." Daisy's Dance Studio has the potential to be something much greater. A change to the look of the studio, a grander visual transformation and randomization of music genres could really punch this scene up a bit!

Last edited:

jt04

There's a lot of potential here for randomization. If only they'd do it. That said, the dance studio is very "uncartoony" in it's aesthetic.
Daisy's Dance Studio has the potential to be something much greater than what it is currently. A change in aesthetics, a grander visual transformation and randomization of music genres could really punch this scene up a bit!

I think they will over time. When ToT opened it was only a single drop if I remember. Might be a year or so. Somewhat surprised they haven't done more with TSMM.

britain

One thing I’m noticing is that the Daisy scene is probably a whole lot more fun in person as your vehicle swings you V-shaped waltz formation, and then quickly zigzags in the Conga.

Similarly, in the factory the cars are mechanically lurching forward and then halting, lurching forward and then halting, as if on an assembly line toward their doom.

In other words, YouTube probably isn’t doing this ride justice.

disneygeek90

One thing I’m noticing is that the Daisy scene is probably a whole lot more fun in person as your vehicle swings you V-shaped waltz formation, and then quickly zigzags in the Conga.

Similarly, in the factory the cars are mechanically lurching forward and then halting, lurching forward and then halting, as if on an assembly line toward their doom.

In other words, YouTube probably isn’t doing this ride justice.
All of the people in our cars were laughing a ton in the daisy room.

Giss Neric

People talking smack about the Daisy scene have obviously not been on the ride, it is by far my favorite part of the ride. Every time I rode it got the biggest reaction from the other guests. Yall need to chill.
Maybe cause they haven't ridden it? If you look at various POVs, you can only see the vehicles doing the waltz but you can't really see clearly the vehicles doing the zigzag cause some people dance in their vehicle too so you won't notice that it was the vehicle zigzagging.

Tom Morrow

I have a couple of thoughts to add after a second ride. A few pages ago I posted a long list of my initial thoughts.

- Wait time was posted at 100 minutes but I waited about one hour. Even with Fastpass, the standby line moved pretty fast and consistently. This thing pretty efficient.
- The marquee sign is way too bright. It seems it's bright enough so it stands out in the daytime, but at night it's absolutely blinding. When you enter the park at night it's by far the most prominent thing in your line of sight down Hollywood Boulevard. When you're closer to the building it's so bright that it completely overshadows everything else since the rest of the exterior lighting is dim and nuanced. It looks like a gigantic television screen is on in a dark room. I hope it has brightness control because I definitely think it should be dimmed at night.
- It's unfortunate that the huge theater was lost because it provided so much queue space for GMR. Without it, it means the boring exterior queue will probably always be in use and there almost isn't enough of it, and there's nowhere to really add queue either.
- The two pre-show theaters' entrance doors could look a little bit more like a theater entrance and less like a ride pre-show entrance.
- The lighting in the redone queue area is slightly too bright compared to the existing lobby area. You can tell this area is newer because of this and its less atmospheric.
- I got the fourth car again and this car definitely does get somewhat shafted. You miss at least half of the stampede, carnival, and waterfall scenes. It's also the first one to exit the dance floor so you do the conga for less than the other cars. During the factory scene you are facing the crusher and have to crank your head around to see anything else.
- Since this was my second ride, being more familiar with it now, the open, emptiness of the ride was more apparent. This was pitched as "2D, but 3D!", but the stampede, carnival, and waterfall scenes are nearly just walls around a giant, open floor. The city, factory, and picnic scenes are much better both because the sets have depth and layers, and because the track space is narrow so the scenes are closer to you. I said this in my initial reaction post, but I feel it's worth reiterating: creating a big floor space so the ride can show off how the vehicles can move anywhere is not something that works in all applications. It works in ROTR because a giant spaceship would have giant rooms, and the scenes in the ROTR are portraying real, full scale rooms. Here, the scenes are abstract in design, and the openness only adds to their fakeness.
- Just like in ROTR, a handful of "4D" effects would go a long way.

I've now ridden this the same number of times as ROTR: 2. On my second ride on ROTR I was still blown away, but not with this. And that's okay - it wasn't intended to be on the level of ROTR. I still think its a good addition to the park, but unlike ROTR where it's obvious they went all in, several aspects of this ride feel "half-baked".

Giss Neric

I have a couple of thoughts to add after a second ride. A few pages ago I posted a long list of my initial thoughts.

- Wait time was posted at 100 minutes but I waited about one hour. Even with Fastpass, the standby line moved pretty fast and consistently. This thing pretty efficient.
- The marquee sign is way too bright. It seems it's bright enough so it stands out in the daytime, but at night it's absolutely blinding. When you enter the park at night it's by far the most prominent thing in your line of sight down Hollywood Boulevard. When you're closer to the building it's so bright that it completely overshadows everything else since the rest of the exterior lighting is dim and nuanced. It looks like a gigantic television screen is on in a dark room. I hope it has brightness control because I definitely think it should be dimmed at night.
- It's unfortunate that the huge theater was lost because it provided so much queue space for GMR. Without it, it means the boring exterior queue will probably always be in use and there almost isn't enough of it, and there's nowhere to really add queue either.
- The two pre-show theaters' entrance doors could look a little bit more like a theater entrance and less like a ride pre-show entrance.
- The lighting in the redone queue area is slightly too bright compared to the existing lobby area. You can tell this area is newer because of this and its less atmospheric.
- I got the fourth car again and this car definitely does get somewhat shafted. You miss at least half of the stampede, carnival, and waterfall scenes. It's also the first one to exit the dance floor so you do the conga for less than the other cars. During the factory scene you are facing the crusher and have to crank your head around to see anything else.
- Since this was my second ride, being more familiar with it now, the open, emptiness of the ride was more apparent. This was pitched as "2D, but 3D!", but the stampede, carnival, and waterfall scenes are nearly just walls around a giant, open floor. The city, factory, and picnic scenes are much better both because the sets have depth and layers, and because the track space is narrow so the scenes are closer to you. I said this in my initial reaction post, but I feel it's worth reiterating: creating a big floor space so the ride can show off how the vehicles can move anywhere is not something that works in all applications. It works in ROTR because a giant spaceship would have giant rooms, and the scenes in the ROTR are portraying real, full scale rooms. Here, the scenes are abstract in design, and the openness only adds to their fakeness.
- Just like in ROTR, a handful of "4D" effects would go a long way.

I've now ridden this the same number of times as ROTR: 2. On my second ride on ROTR I was still blown away, but not with this. And that's okay - it wasn't intended to be on the level of ROTR. I still think its a good addition to the park, but unlike ROTR where it's obvious they went all in, several aspects of this ride feel "half-baked".
This replaced a previous ride that had very giant open rooms so maybe they initially had the idea of the scenes being more "intimate" like a usual dark ride but they just had to work with what they had.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom