Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universal is attacked all the times for being too screen based. Now, Disney makes a ride that is essentially going from one complete screen room to another, on basic vehicles, and they are genius.

I don’t get it.

Nemo is screen based and is regularly derided as poor tho "it's Disney."

Little Mermaid is almost all practical sets and is also derided as being poor.

It's not about the screens or practical sets and AA. It's what you do with it.

Disney's giant screen rides are Soarin and FoP. Both done very well. Universal's giant screens are Simpsons and Fallon and Minions... all... OK, but pale in comparison. UO also doubled down on the screen-in-a-tunnel with F&F and Kong. And both suffer in execution.

Not to mention that MMRR has giant sized projections on actual sets. Sets that transform. Sets very well integrated into the projections and not TV screens framed with cement-based rock work (yeah, I'm looking at you, Nemo).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What's really needed is a 360 video from the front and one from the rear. So much to look at.

Also, as one of the vloggers mentioned, you see different things from the front v. back. The back misses some of the beginning action in a scene and the front misses some of the concluding action in a scene.

Some may call that bad story-telling.

@realBobChapek calls that re-ridability, cha-ching!

Exomonia

It’s interesting, after seeing videos for the first, second and third carriage (as at loading), I think the third is my favourite. Haven’t seen video of the fourth yet though, but can get a general idea. Long post, and filled with spoilers, as to how I got to this reasoning.

Picnic:
All much the same for this one
Winner: Tie

Tunnel:
1st and 2nd see Goofy open the door, 3rd and 4th don’t. However, 3rd and 4th get a better view of Mickey and Minnie saying to go “after that train” and the switch hit.
Winner: Tie, depending what is of interest

Stampede:
I feel as though the 1st carriage lingers in this scene too long before lights come on properly. 2nd and 3rd get better timing for the “start” of this scene, and 4th likely is too late (3rd almost is too late). However, the 1st and 2nd carriage leave too early (particularly carriage 2) and largely miss Mickey and Minnie getting tied up in the rope, and chased by vultures.
Winner: 3

Carnival:
Again, 1 & 2 come in a little too early (particularly 2 this time). Hard to tell for 4, but 3 has a good mix of timing as it looks into the carnival scene from the stampede scene, as the lights come on and action begins. Likewise, #2 leaves the scene too early, missing a lot of the tornado sweeping through. 3, 1, and 4 all appear to get a proper view of the play out of this scene.
Winner: 1, 3 & 4

Tornado:
All appear to see the same thing / duration. No winner

Tropical Volcano:
2 has the clear advantage here, followed by 3, then 1 & 4 at the rear. 2 gets a proper view of the volcano scene, and 3 just misses the start, but gets most of the effect.
Winner: 2, then 3

Waterfall:
Identical in practice

Underwater:
The inverse of the tropical volcano scene. However, 2 really gets whisked out very quickly. The other three are all pretty equal as not much “new” stuff happens in this scene near the end. In this way, even though 3 leaves this room second, it sees most everything (a lesser loss than 1 & 4 missing the start of the volcano scene)

Sewer:
Identical in practice

City:
2 and 3 get the first view, but largely no things missed at either the start or end by the leaders or tail.
Winner: Slight edge to 2 & 3

Dance Studio:
2 and 3 arrive first, and leave last.
Winner: 2 & 3

Alley:
Looks like it goes 4, 1, 3, 2 in order of entering and leaving the scene
Winner: 1 and 3 get the best mix of start and end

Boiler Room:
4 and 1 see more of the boiler room scene, and 4 gets closest to the crushing machinery. However, not much stuff happens at the start of this scene (that can’t be seen by 3 from the alley). Likewise, when the scene transforms, both 2 and 3 have the most scope and wow factor of seeing more of the room change at once. However, 2 then leaves the room too quickly, post-transformation.
Winner: 3 sees all the critical stuff, and has best scope of transformation, whilst having enough time to linger after. 2 has the scope, but comes in too late and leaves too early. Ranked as 3, 1, 4, 2

Picnic Finale:
3 has the best view of Mickey & Minnie for proximity and timing, as well as to Goofy in the train (not too close or far). The best combo and positioning as a mix.

As a result, 3 is the clear winner for me. Only issue of real note is not seeing Goofy open the door in the tunnel scene, and not getting to see the start of the volcano scene (but still comes in second best for that scene, 4 & 1 miss too much of the volcano, in my opinion).

What do others think?

Last edited:

Giss Neric

It’s interesting, after seeing videos for the first, second and third carriage (as at loading), I think the third is my favourite. Haven’t seen video of the fourth yet though, but can get a general idea. Long post, and filled with spoilers, as to how I got to this reasoning.

Picnic:
All much the same for this one
Winner: Tie

Tunnel:
1st and 2nd see Goofy open the door, 3rd and 4th don’t. However, 3rd and 4th get a better view of Mickey and Minnie saying to go “after that train” and the switch hit.
Winner: Tie, depending what is of interest

Stampede:
I feel as though the 1st carriage lingers in this scene too long before lights come on properly. 2nd and 3rd get better timing for the “start” of this scene, and 4th likely is too late (3rd almost is too late). However, the 1st and 2nd carriage leave too early (particularly carriage 2) and largely miss Mickey and Minnie getting tied up in the rope, and chased by vultures.

Carnival:
Again, 1 & 2 come in a little too early (particularly 2 this time). Hard to tell for 4, but 3 has a good mix of timing as it looks into the carnival scene from the stampede scene, as the lights come on and action begins. Likewise, #2 leaves the scene too early, missing a lot of the tornado sweeping through. 3, 1, and 4 all appear to get a proper view of the play out of this scene.

Tornado:
All appear to see the same thing / duration. No winner

Tropical Volcano:
2 has the clear advantage here, followed by 3, then 1 & 4 at the rear. 2 gets a proper view of the volcano scene, and 3 just misses the start, but gets most of the effect.
Winner: 2, then 3

Waterfall:
Identical in practice

Underwater:
The inverse of the tropical volcano scene. However, 2 really gets whisked out very quickly. The other three are all pretty equal as not much “new” stuff happens in this scene near the end. In this way, even though 3 leaves this room second, it sees most everything (a lesser loss than 1 & 4 missing the start of the volcano scene)

Sewer:
Identical in practice

City:
2 and 3 get the first view, but largely no things missed at either the start or end by the leaders or tail.
Winner: Slight edge to 2 & 3

Dance Studio:
2 and 3 arrive first, and leave last.
Winner: 2 & 3

Alley:
Looks like it goes 1, 4, 3, 2 in order of entering and leaving the scene
Winner: 4 and 3 get the best mix of start and end

Boiler Room:
1 and 4 see more of the boiler room scene, and 1 gets closest to the crushing machinery. However, not much stuff happens at the start of this scene (that can’t be seen by 3 from the alley). Likewise, when the scene transforms, both 2 and 3 have the most scope and wow factor of seeing more of the room change at once. However, 2 then leaves the room too quickly, post-transformation.
Winner: 3 sees all the critical stuff, and has best scope of transformation, whilst having enough time to linger after. 2 has the scope, but comes in too late and leaves too early. Ranked as 3, 4, 1, 2

Picnic Finale:
3 has the best view of Mickey & Minnie for proximity and timing, as well as to Goofy in the train (not too close or far). The best combo and positioning as a mix.

As a result, 3 is the clear winner for me. Only issue of real note is not seeing Goofy open the door in the tunnel scene, and not getting to see the start of the volcano scene (but still comes in second best for that scene, 4 & 1 miss too much of the volcano, in my opinion).

What do others think?

PymParty

Amazing attraction, definitely an E ticket that will please the WHOLE family. I had a big smile throughout the whole POV. IMHO, it will be a crowd pleaser and a worthy flagship ride at DHS.

Two things however that Disney could still improve to make it an amazing ride :

1) Why not theme the floors through the WHOLE ride ???? They already made this mistake on RAT back in 2014... and they definitely can do it since the floors are themed to railroad tracks at the beginning and end of the ride. For example, the sewer scene loses a lot of its immersion because the floors are unthemed and we can totally see where the projection stops...

2) I wish they could have put some form of set pieces / animatronics moving along with the vehicles in some scenes that are without the locomotive (which is a great example of the set pieces I am talking about), like they are going to do in the Tokyo BATB ride. Can you imagine how awesome the Daisy ballroom scene would have been with Daisy being dancing along with us and not simply standing in front ?

However, let me state again that I love the ride and that it looks like it will be a total success for Disney (and will sell a lot of merch for sure), I just wish they would have made the last little efforts to make it almost perfect...

Cmdr_Crimson

I heard from my friend that some guests are upset that Pluto was accidentally kicked and locked in a trunk. A cartoon dog and some people are offended already.
Pssh..Not like they were doing that in Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin..
3113691855_36350febee_z.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom