Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

wityblack

Select media were given a tour of Runaway Railway after D23 - some information below from Attractions Magazine. The concept art mentioned in the piece is the first photo in post #4,304.

"As for Runaway Railway, it looks great. We were able to walk through the queue and walk the full ride path. The queue is completely different from the attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Although we weren’t allowed to take any photos or videos, It looked very much like the concept art below. It’s a museum of past Mickey shorts, shows, and movies, separated by the decades. I can’t give details, but there are some cool illusions and Easter eggs to look for.

The ride wasn’t fully programmed yet, but they walked us through the full ride and ran all the scenes. It’s 95 percent the same as in Orlando. Although the changes in the queue were done on purpose, the changes to the ride were done out of necessity of the space. All the scenes are there, but a couple are rearranged, and some extended a bit."

I could see the extensions being like a longer sewer scene, longer train tunnel scene, a re-arranged twister scene, but nothing major.

MK-fan

Im sure they wanna compete with the Super Nintendo World opening which is set for early 2023 as well, maybe they’re just waiting for Universal to announce they’re opening date before they choose to announce their date for Toontown reopening.

lazyboy97o

Im sure they wanna compete with the Super Nintendo World opening which is set for early 2023 as well, maybe they’re just waiting for Universal to announce they’re opening date before they choose to announce their date for Toontown reopening.
I’m not sure it’s quite the same audience, and Disney likely knows when Universal is looking to open Super Nintendo World.

wityblack

I believe SNW is behind on construction, with initial plans to hand over the land to park ops at the end of August, there's still plenty of work to be done on the land. I could see the official opening of Nintendo be no earlier than March, but as late as May.

Professortango1

This "upgrade" to Toontown feels like the company just giving us less and trying to sell it as an improvement. We took out two fountains and replaced it with one, but it is interactive! We sealed up Donald's Boat and paved over the lagoon, but now is sprays tiny streams of water outside of it! We took out the defunct treehouse and replaced it with nothing, but at least we did something about it! I'm thankful for MRR, but the rest just feels like we're taking a unique land and lessening it to something slightly above what my local public park offers. Splash pads, rubberized plastic things to roll and touch, grassy spaces. I hope I'm wrong and the simpler approach pays off, but man...it just feels like Disney is reducing their maintenance costs and spinning it.

Also, does anyone else find the Pluto inspired colors for the new market (old gas station) don't mesh with the rest of the buildings around it?

CaptinEO

This "upgrade" to Toontown feels like the company just giving us less and trying to sell it as an improvement. We took out two fountains and replaced it with one, but it is interactive! We sealed up Donald's Boat and paved over the lagoon, but now is sprays tiny streams of water outside of it! We took out the defunct treehouse and replaced it with nothing, but at least we did something about it! I'm thankful for MRR, but the rest just feels like we're taking a unique land and lessening it to something slightly above what my local public park offers. Splash pads, rubberized plastic things to roll and touch, grassy spaces. I hope I'm wrong and the simpler approach pays off, but man...it just feels like Disney is reducing their maintenance costs and spinning it.

Also, does anyone else find the Pluto inspired colors for the new market (old gas station) don't mesh with the rest of the buildings around it?
Considering how many elements of Toontown were non operational for 20 years, it's good they are at least redoing it. Jolly Trolly, Ball Pit, and Goofys Jump House come to mind.

The place was also just run down looking and poorly maintained.

Maybe one day they'll finally remove the People Mover track too.

J4546

I disagree completely. The new land looks much better and has a ton of interactive stuff for kids....its much better than old tt imo

mharrington

I just find it disappointing that Donald's Boat is no longer physically accessible. It's not like it was ever that great to begin with, but now it's just a prop. It feels like Donald's presence in the land has been diminished. What's more, it's going to be awkward to not go into Donald's establishment and see some of those pictures of Donald in there:
3439753503_e0f48b48ac_o-585c31b73df78ce2c36a18f0-443a1800dfb24e39bb553aa896e04541.jpg

Unless they seal that off, too, I'm pretty sure that Goofy's establishment, once all is said and done, will still have his pictures in there, like this one of his son from the early 1950s cartoons (who may or may not be Max):
687623_fOV2Rbm41y8_6aUtcf9DfIHQjRHhCOs-cpsi6evqqn4.jpg

Phroobar

The old Toon Town had a lot more interactive stuff. I bet that splash pad will be non operational within months of opening. The Space Mountain splash pad went away really quickly and the DCA one never turned on. The only one that worked was the Bugs Land one. The original Mickey Fountain was interactive. You could step on a pad to make a instrument sound. Roger loses his fountain. The Jolly Trolly is gone. The rope climb and sound effects in Donald's boat are gone. The bounce house is gone. The toddler slides are gone. The tree house is gone. The Goofy water is gone. The fish tanks are gone. We get a fake tree in astro-turf. I bet all the moving parts in Gadget's will be removed. It is a total strip down just to make more outdoor queue space for their dark ride movie theater.

J4546

I bet the splash pad is on for a long time but I guess we will see..

As for the fountain, I dont miss the old ones, and look forward to the new one but its not a biggie for me.

We dont know all thats happening over at Roger Rabbit/Trolley area as they have been pretty quiet on that side but Id imagine the old trolley building may be reused for something as the Jolly Trolley has been gone for a long time and its time they took out the tracks and used that space for something else

theres a new rope climb, new slides, more new playground things as well as some kind of wooden play structure with things that havent been announced

Treehouse has been a dead attraction for years if not a decade.

Goofys house looks cool imo, with that whatever you call it candy machine thing that goes all over the interior, looks neat imo I love those constnt ball moving around on tracks displays...i wish i knew what they are called something like a rube goldberg machine but whatever im into it

As for the fake tree and astroturf, I think it will be that squishy foam like turn you find in playgrounds. The fake tree Im fine with, and I think its a reference to Walt Disneys Dreaming Tree which there are a bunch of pics of online, it was a big tree on Disneys Farms that a young Walt would sit under and dreamt up what we see today. I think it fits TT as well as Mickey was the first (or one of) major thing Walt dreamt up, I mean I can imagine a young Walt sitting uder a tree on his parents farm, and dreaming up ToonTown. Im into it, but if your not no worries, I like the lore.

Regardless, MMRR is awesome and Im glad its coming to DL and im def looking at TT as a positive change/addition

Professortango1

I disagree completely. The new land looks much better and has a ton of interactive stuff for kids....its much better than old tt imo
Fake water instead of real water, a closed off Donald's house sitting empty inside, the removed Roger Rabbit fountain replaced with grass, and an empty spot where the treehouse once stood is better?? Not seeing it. Toontown was never perfect, but it had charm and interaction. This new one looks far less interactive and devoid of the weird cooky humor that the original land had. It feels like a mall play area with faux rubber logs and rocks. Disney took out the Disney and went generic and cheaper to maintain.

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Toontown has been a wasteland for years with very little to actually do in all that supposed play space. The model at D23 shows improvements in every way. There was nothing interesting in Donald's Boat anyway, for example, and Disneyland lacks space for kids to just decompress and run around (DCA has Redwood Creek). Goofy's house has been a waste of space for years, the treehouse unused, broken effects everywhere, and since covid, what little was left has been closed off anyway. I think people will be surprised by the new lease on life the least-liked land in the park gets next March!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom