Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Rich T

Name one video game that is equal in dignity to the work of Michelangelo or Mozart.

And if you can't do that, find me a video game equal in dignity to Gone with the Wind or Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.
Dude. Some people don't think the music of the Beatles qualifies as art. I disagree with that. Would you compare Pinocchio to Michelangelo or Mozart? I think it's a great work of art in its own category.

DIGNITY??? Is dignity required to be considered art? Sorry Looney Tunes and Donald Duck-- I guess Tror counts you all out.

Final Fantasy X. Shadow of the Colossus. Breath of the Wild. Okami. Super Mario Odyssey. Parappa. Old Man's Journey. To name a very few out of hundreds.

Tror, if you seriously can't see the art, the imagination, the comedy, the tragedy, the beauty and the vision present in those titles, then I'm actually surprised you can appreciate the wonder of Disneyland.

Last edited:

TROR

Dude. Some people don't think the works of the Beatles qualify as art. Do you think Pinocchio is comparable to Michelangelo of Mozart? Yet it's a fantastic work of art in its own way.
Beatles are junk. Also yeah Pinocchio is fantastic. I watched it the other night. The backgrounds by Claude Coats and the other artists are all marvelous. The animation, too, is so incredibly well done. The fact people did it all by hand is mind bending.

DIGNITY???? Are you saying DIGNITY is required for something to be art??? Sorry, Loony Tunes and Donald Duck-- I guess Tror counts you all out.
For children's entertainment they're pretty high class. I'd rather raise my kids on Mickey Mouse shorts and Looney Tunes than Sesame Street and Steven Universe.

Final Fantasy X. Shadow of the Colossus. Okami. Parappa. Super Mario Odyssey. Old Man's Journey. To name a very, very few. If you don't see the fun, the beauty, the comedy and the vision present in these creations, then... I'm actually surprised you can appreciate Disneyland.
Nah.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Name one video game that is equal in dignity to the work of Michelangelo or Mozart.

And if you can't do that, find me a video game equal in dignity to Gone with the Wind or Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

I'm going to date myself here, and I'm sure there are better examples from this decade. But Myst was a game that was considered a work of art at the time. Its older than you, so you've probably never heard of it. But the visuals on the game at the time it was made were far and above anything anyone had ever seen. And it a game that you had to actually spend time to understand.

Rich T

Angry Birds.

Emoji Blitz but only if there’s a good challenge going on. They should make a Lincoln emoji.
LOL. I know you're joking, but it's sad that some people will never know how fantastic the best games are getting (and I'm not talking free-to-play phone games).

Well, not *sad* exactly, but predictable. Different strokes for different folks. I like British comedy & 70's prog-rock.

Rich T

Beatles are junk. Also yeah Pinocchio is fantastic. I watched it the other night. The backgrounds by Claude Coats and the other artists are all marvelous. The animation, too, is so incredibly well done. The fact people did it all by hand is mind bending.

For children's entertainment they're pretty high class. I'd rather raise my kids on Mickey Mouse shorts and Looney Tunes than Sesame Street and Steven Universe.

Nah.
LOL. Okay, I'm done here. There are plenty of other people who do see the art in games, classic comedy and the Beatles for me to discuss those topics with. BTW I did enjoy your trip report and I hate Fastpass.

Totally agree with everything you said about Pinocchio.

TROR

I'd personally put theme parks and video games at the same level
On what grounds? A proper theme park is on the level of a museum or Shakespeare. A video game is on the level of Playboy and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

EPICOT

On what grounds? A proper theme park is on the level of a museum or Shakespeare. A video game is on the level of Playboy and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Who let grandpa out of the nursing home?

It’s funny that you consider video games to be “low brow entertainment” because that’s basically what “art snobs” consider the theme park industry to be. You’ve obviously never played a video game beyond a free phone app.

TROR

Who let grandpa out of the nursing home?

It’s funny that you consider video games to be “low brow entertainment” because that’s basically what “art snobs” consider the theme park industry to be. You’ve obviously never played a video game beyond a free phone app.
Generally speaking the theme park industry is low brow entertainment. Its high brow aspects died with Walt. Only remnants remain such as Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. We need to revive the high brow theme park concept and get the scum out of the parks.

EPICOT

Generally speaking the theme park industry is low brow entertainment. Its high brow aspects died with Walt. Only remnants remain such as Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. We need to revive the high brow theme park concept and get the scum out of the parks.

You’re right to some extent. You won’t see me defending GOTG: Mission TV Screenz as classy entertainment. It’s just your entire dismal of video games as art that is off-putting. I think it’s a fair assessment to say that their are some video games out there with high levels of artistic value.

Suspirian

tenor.gif

TROR

You’re right to some extent. You won’t see me defending GOTG: Mission TV Screenz as classy entertainment. It’s just your entire dismal of video games as art that is off-putting. I think it’s a fair assessment to say that their are some video games out there with high levels of artistic value.
Maybe there are, but I'm not seeing that in Fortnite or Call of Duty. If there are video games out there that do educate, culturally enrich, and intelligent, please let me know because I don't think they exist.

dweezil78

Maybe there are, but I'm not seeing that in Fortnite or Call of Duty. If there are video games out there that do educate, culturally enrich, and intelligent, please let me know because I don't think they exist.

You sometimes come across here as just so obnoxiously ignorant, closed-minded, and spiteful that I honestly can't tell if you just really get off on being a troll (if so, give it a rest already man) or if you were raised in a messed up bizarre household where your parents treated you like some kind of bitter, repressed 90 year old person in a child's body.

And FWIW, as most people understand, art is subjective -- but if you're looking for something that fits your boring, narrow definition of "art," give Journey a whirl...

Last edited:

TragicMike

Easy. How much time do you have?

Last of Us and Fallout (the original computer RPG's) both explore the morality of ethics in a post-apocalyptic world. They explore themes such as sacrifice, family, security and utilitarianism vs. egoism. Fallout also accomplishes this by acting as a black social satirical piece of America in the 1950's.

Metal Gear Solid 2. This game explores themes such meme theory, censorship, political engineering, artificial intelligence, existentialism, postmodernism, post-truth politics, sociology, information control, evolution, the nature of reality, child exploitation and the illusion of free will (which only works in a video game setting where the player is the one being manipulated.)

This is the ending conversation in Metal Gear Solid 2 that go over some of the themes listed above. Since it explores the game's plot I would only watch the first eight minutes since that's the part where the game warns against post-911/PATRIOT ACT-esque world. (Fun Fact: The game's script was written in 1999.)

Another fun fact: Fallout 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 have been preserved by Congress for being culturally significant while the Smithsonian American Art Museum has featured Metal Gear Solid 2 as an art piece.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom