Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Rich T

Midway Mania reminds me of a basic triotech shooting dark ride. Knott's iron reef. Don't get the hype. Regional parks run these things.
This statement kind of floors me. It's like saying every roller coaster is the same, every movie is the same, or every dark ride is the same. Yes, they're the same genre, but the execution is completely different, as is the fun factor, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the vehicle motion-- just about every element you can conceive of within the ride type.

Regional parks do NOT run anything that comes close to TSM as far as technology and experience. That's like saying regional parks have dark rides, so there's no reason to ride a dark ride at Disney. Yes, regional parks run Ghost Blasters (and, for the record, I love Ghost Blasters). It is not the same experience as TSM. At all.

Again, there's a reason TSM remains so popular after 10 YEARS. It's a great ride, a ton of fun, and the best shooting-gallery-style ride ever designed. No other shooting ride offers an experience that even comes close to the giddy, laughter-inducing intensity and sense of real competition that TSM provides.

(EDIT) If you were comparing Buzz to Iron Reef and Ghost Blasters, I could partly agree; Buzz is much closer in experience to those rides (yet is still worth doing because it's fun). But TSM is like no other target-based ride on Earth. That Mice-in-the-chocolate-factory ride at Phantasialand comes close, but that one arrived long after the innovations of TSM.

Last edited:

Phroobar

This statement kind of floors me. It's like saying every roller coaster is the same, every movie is the same, or every dark ride is the same. Yes, they're the same genre, but the execution is completely different, as is the fun factor, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the vehicle motion-- just about every element you can conceive of within the ride type.

Regional parks do NOT run anything that comes close to TSM as far as technology and experience. That's like saying regional parks have dark rides, so there's no reason to ride a dark ride at Disney. Yes, regional parks run Ghost Blasters (and, for the record, I love Ghost Blasters). It is not the same experience as TSM. At all.

Again, there's a reason TSM remains so popular after 10 YEARS. It's a great ride, a ton of fun, and the best shooting-gallery-style ride ever designed. No other shooting ride offers an experience that even comes close to the giddy, laughter-inducing intensity and sense of real competition that TSM provides.
Except Justice League: Battle for Metropolis at Six Flags. It even has multiple AA figures and real sets that TSMM doesn't!

Justice-League-Ride-Joker-Animatronic-56a952c45f9b58b7d0fa4e9e.jpg

Rich T

Except Justice League: Battle for Metropolis at Six Flags. It even has multiple AA figures and real sets that TSMM doesn't!

Justice-League-Ride-Joker-Animatronic-56a952c45f9b58b7d0fa4e9e.jpg
I don't care. A ride doesn't need sets and AA's to be better. I'm talking about the experience and the re-ride-ability. Justice League's a good ride. It's also the kind of ride where you point a beam at various target points, just like Buzz, Ghost Blasters, Lego Whatever Adventure, Turkey escape, etc.

TSM is nothing like that. It's much more interactive, offering dozens of fun, morphing, moving targets at any given second and an endless supply of hilarious animated ammo that actually seems to be flying into the screen before you. Every trip through TSM is a different experience, and the game actually offers a lot of depth and discovery for repeat riders. TSM is joyous, crazy and leaves riders feeling great (how their wrists feel is a different story).

Nothing against Justice League, which is a terrific ride, but I find TSMM far more appealing and fun. TSMM succeeds as both ride and a genuinely cohesive, well-designed game.

Rich T

I'll just add that, no, I do not want any *other* rides like TSMM. It's a perfect, unique creation. It's Disney's wonderful shooting gallery masterpiece. If you don't like it, ride something else.

There are people who never understood the appeal of Soarin' Over California (the original). "It's just a film," they say. But Soarin' Over CA moved me to tears of joy and exhilaration. It worked its magic on me 100%.

There's room in the parks for good rides of all types, using all kinds of techniques and ideas.

Phroobar

I don't care. A ride doesn't need sets and AA's to be better. I'm talking about the experience and the re-ride-ability. Justice League's a good ride. It's also the kind of ride where you point a beam at various target points, just like Buzz, Ghost Blasters, Lego Whatever Adventure, Turkey escape, etc.

TSM is nothing like that. It's much more interactive, offering dozens of fun, morphing, moving targets at any given second and an endless supply of hilarious animated ammo that actually seems to be flying into the screen before you. Every trip through TSM is a different experience, and the game actually offers a lot of depth and discovery for repeat riders. TSM is joyous, crazy and leaves riders feeling great (how their wrists feel is a different story).

Nothing against Justice League, which is a terrific ride, but I find TSMM far more appealing and fun. TSMM succeeds as both ride and a genuinely cohesive, well-designed game.

Meh. TSM is nothing more than a Wii game in a ride vehicle. I can do that at home. When I'm at DCA, I typically don't bother to ride because of the long lines and pulling the string is just exhausting after a while. A trigger would have been easier. Also the games don't change so there really isn't much repeatability.

71AqEPi4bQL._AC_SX215_.jpg
7628L.jpg

NateD1226

Meh. TSM is nothing more than a Wii game in a ride vehicle. I can do that at home. When I'm at DCA, I typically don't bother to ride because of the long lines and pulling the string is just exhausting after a while. A trigger would have been easier. Also the games don't change so there really isn't much repeatability.

7628L.jpg
I have played that game before. It was basically the ride but with a few more games.

Ismael Flores

The blank walls with a few painted things and open ceiling really destroy the idea of the ride. There is so much more that could be done with the theming inside the show building even if they had used projections on the wall to make the place feel like you are actually in a Carnival.

TROR

Biggest problem with TSMM is that it's a video game and video games are stupid. Video games are no more a piece of art than a game of Candyland or Sorry.

NateD1226

Biggest problem with TSMM is that it's a video game and video games are stupid. Video games are no more a piece of art than a game of Candyland or Sorry.
Exactly. I'm not a fan of video games either. TSMM just needs a big refurbishment that gives AA's, sets, and an actual story.

Rich T

7628L.jpg
Phrubruh, I--to say the least--have to disagree big-time here. There's a home version of a trip to Disneyland, too. To no one's surprise, it's not as good an experience as actually visiting the park. And, yes, I did own the Wii home version of TSM. To no one's surprise, it wasn't as good as actually riding the attraction. The screens were mini-versions of the ride games with none of the depth. No 3D (except for some limited "special" screens with the WORST attempt at home videogame 3D since Rad Racer). No 4D. No vehicle motion. No 4 player competition in a live game of staggering processing ability. NO LICENSED TOY STORY MUSIC, fer cryin' out loud. It wasn't a terrible "home version," but it was maybe 1% as fun as the ride experience.

It's okay to not like the ride. Personally, it's one of my favorites. I choose a short wait for TSMM over World of Color every time (travel tip).

Rich T

Exactly. I'm not a fan of video games either. TSMM just needs a big refurbishment that gives AA's, sets, and an actual story.
Sorry. That's like saying movies aren't art. You have not played the right kind of video games. There are all kinds, you know, and some are better-written than most of this years top-grossing films. The music, the visuals, the animation-- what's being achieved today is a wonder to behold.

Seriously. Games are an ever-growing entertainment medium. There are all kinds, of every genre. And many of them are emotional, wondrous experiences.

Last edited:

Rich T

TROR, I know you like to troll a lot, but saying all videogames are stupid just tells me you haven't played the right games. The best games are amazing creations containing some of the best animation, music, writing and art design on the planet.

I'm surprised you'd say something like that, just as it surprises me that some people think Disneyland is just an amusement park for little kids.

Last edited:

NateD1226

Sorry. That's like saying movies aren't art. You have not played the right kind of video games. There are all kinds, you know, and some are better-written than most of this years top-grossing films. The music, the visuals, the animation-- what's being achieved today is a wonder to behold.

Seriously. Games are an ever-growing entertainment medium. There are all kinds, of every genre. And many of them are emotional, wondrous experiences.
You are probably right. I will check some out and see which ones I like.

TROR

TROR, I know you like to troll a lot, but saying all videogames are stupid just tells me you haven't played the right games. The best games are amazing creations containing some of the best animation, music, writing and art design on the planet.

I'm surprised you'd say something like that. Then again, it surprises me that some people think Disneyland is just an amusement park for little kids.
Name one video game that is equal in dignity to the work of Michelangelo or Mozart.

And if you can't do that, find me a video game equal in dignity to Gone with the Wind or Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom