Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

Phroobar

I don't think we can go by the size of the GMR building and think the ride is going to need the same space. The GMR had to include maintenance areas for those huge ride vehicles. Mickey's vehicles won't be that big and won't need all that space. Also there is no reason they can't go two story at Disneyland. There is no reason there needs to be a restaurant either. If they did take out all of TT for this building, It would be bigger than IASW and that is a huge building. I think this thing can easily be put in the non-Roger Rabbit side of TT.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You are taking a figure that is currently a rumor about a project that isn't even built yet. I'm not questioning the source either, so don't think that. It could be exactly 1.85 acres for the TGMR version, or it could be more or less when they finish building it. So while I don't care if its exactly 1.85 acres in the end, I'm just saying don't be surprised if in the end its less or more for the DLR version.

If it's significantly less or more, then it's not really a clone. If it's more, then it's taking over all of Toontown because 1.85 acres is already 60% of Toontown. If it's less, it would have to be way, way less in order to only take out Roger Rabbit (which is only .73 acres) or only take out half of the eastern side of Towntown leaving either the M&Gs or the coaster. And if it's that much less... yikes, it would wind up with half the scenes or capacity of the DHS version.

Think of it this way. Let's say Martin's figure is off and the new layout is not utilizing 15% of the space. That means the ride is using 1.7 acres at DHS. And let's say you can get 20% efficiency. Then the ride is down to 1.36 acres. That's still twice the size of Roger Rabbit and 45% of all of Toontown.

I don't think we can go by the size of the GMR building and think the ride is going to need the same space. The GMR had to include maintenance areas for those huge ride vehicles. Mickey's vehicles won't be that big and won't need all that space. Also there is no reason they can't go two story at Disneyland. There is no reason there needs to be a restaurant either. If they did take out all of TT for this building, It would be bigger than IASW and that is a huge building. I think this thing can easily be put in the non-Roger Rabbit side of TT.

Though they can't say as much, its pretty clear from how our insiders talk about this ride that they've seen the ride layout. That is how Martin is able to say that 5-10% of TGMR isn't being utilized for this ride. If he was wrong, the other insiders would likely have corrected him. Martin is already including all of the space, including vehicles storage, AFAIK, in his eyeballing of the plans.

I mean, we can always go back to our insiders to confirm the figures, but until there's better info, what we have is what we have.

If this goes two stories, how high do you think it'd be? Where's the fireworks launch site at DL?

mharrington

How would you know if Disney would have a problem replacing Roger?

I have a feeling that this is where the ride is going, if for no other reason than Roger is not entirely Disney-owned. As for the idea of a two-story ride, it was originally proposed for the Roger Rabbit ride, but was cut for budget or something. Again, this sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

We also keep bringing up the idea that the ride, wherever it goes, will not take over any parts of the backstage area. I have a feeling that this ride will take over some parts of the immediate back area of the park behind Toontown. Do we really think it won't somehow involve backstage areas? And do we really think that this ride is going to be an EXACT clone, pre-show and all?

Phroobar

Think of it this way. Let's say Martin's figure is off and the new layout is not utilizing 15% of the space. That means the ride is using 1.7 acres at DHS. And let's say you can get 20% efficiency. Then the ride is down to 1.36 acres. That's still twice the size of Roger Rabbit and 45% of all of Toontown. If this goes two stories, how high do you think it'd be? Where's the fireworks launch site at DL?
Most things are custom built for an area. If it only takes up 45% of ToonTown then there is no reason to take Roger out. They could increase it to 55% of TT and put in new M&Gs. There is no reason the M&G has to be as big as current one. If it was two stories, it would be as tall as Donald's boat or Go Coaster. The fireworks are directly behind the TT back wall.

mickEblu

No, seriously. The only one of those that replaced one ride system for a new ride system was ATIS -> ST back in the 80's. None of those other examples are equivalent to removing one "ride package" for a brand new ride package. Because if the Mickey ride requires the removal of Roger Rabbit, it will require the complete demolition of Roger Rabbit, show building and all.

How popular was ATIS when they shut it down anyway? I think remember reading it was pretty much a walk on by the mid 80s

mickEblu

I have a feeling that this is where the ride is going, if for no other reason than Roger is not entirely Disney-owned. As for the idea of a two-story ride, it was originally proposed for the Roger Rabbit ride, but was cut for budget or something. Again, this sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

We also keep bringing up the idea that the ride, wherever it goes, will not take over any parts of the backstage area. I have a feeling that this ride will take over some parts of the immediate back area of the park behind Toontown. Do we really think it won't somehow involve backstage areas? And do we really think that this ride is going to be an EXACT clone, pre-show and all?

Has anyone chimed in on what exactly is located backstage at Toontown? Id like to know how feasible it is to move some of that stuff. With that said, with Star Wars Land as a precedent, it seems that any backstage area can be moved as long as it is not 100% necessary that it's on the property.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Has anyone chimed in on what exactly is located backstage at Toontown? Id like to know how feasible it is to move some of that stuff. With that said, with Star Wars Land as a precedent, it seems that any backstage area can be moved as long as it is not 100% necessary that it's on the property.

Yes. The easiest thing to get rid off is the Rehearsal Hall (mainly used for incoming bands) and parking directly adjacent to you. Not too difficult to relocate to a further backstage area.

I drew this mock up that only gets rid of the Rehearsal Hall. Roger Rabbit is pretty boxed in by the parade building (hard to move) and Small World. Even if you got rid of it, you still don't have much room to work with.

G3acoOJ.jpg

Relocating the Rehearsal Hall is way more feasible than removing a relatively modern, functioning, popular ride and its adjacent in-park facilities.

Last edited:

mickEblu

y'all can argue logistics all you want...but this ride is going to be awesome :)

Based off what I've seen I think it ll be a great ride too. It should succeed in making us feel that we've entered the world of the toons. I'm really intrigued at how the imagineers will pull off the being sucked into a cartoon concept. That could be a neat moment. Still wish they had gone with all the different Mickeys through the years. Start out black and white and end up with zombie crackhead goofy and gang but oh well.

mickEblu

Yes. The easiest thing to get rid off is the Rehearsal Hall (mainly used for incoming bands) and parking directly adjacent to you. Not too difficult to relocate to a further backstage area.

I drew this mock up that only gets rid of the Rehearsal Hall.

G3acoOJ.jpg

Relocating the Rehearsal Hall is way more feasible than removing a relatively modern, functioning, popular ride and its adjacent in-park facilities.

Cool thanks. Is it just me or if they went this route Mickey and Minnie's houses could be the beginning of the queue for the ride itself?

mickEblu

That's what I was thinking too. :D Saving the elaborate Meet and Greet queue would be another huge plus of this plan.

That would be HUGE. Fast pass through Minnie's house? Standby through Mickeys house? I like this "plan" a lot. Saves the expansion pad, walk throughs and Roger. Screw the kids! Rehearse at home. Lol

The_Mesh_Hatter

There's the issue of firework fallout, but I'm also of the viewpoint that fireworks only have a short term future at DL. There are various reasons from noise pollution, to costs, to atmospheric pollution; but with the direction environmental policy is hopefully heading, I think the days of regularly firework shows are limited. I know some people have brought up fireworks as an issue, so that's my response to that issue. No, they will never build 4 walls and a roof around Toon Town to enclose it. When they become more ubiquitous, drones will be able to accomplish amazing effects that rival fireworks.

mickEblu

There's the issue of firework fallout, but I'm also of the viewpoint that fireworks only have a short term future at DL. There are various reasons from noise pollution, to costs, to atmospheric pollution; but with the direction environmental policy is hopefully heading, I think the days of regularly firework shows are limited. I know some people have brought up fireworks as an issue, so that's my response to that issue. No, they will never build 4 walls and a roof around Toon Town to enclose it. When they become more ubiquitous, drones will be able to accomplish amazing effects that rival fireworks.

In addition, would it be the worst thing in world if they had to close the land for an hour? Especially an hour where many guests are watching nighttime entertainment, including the fireworks? Fireworks aren't even nightly through most of the year. I don't see it as a big issue. Enclosing Toontown would be cool but far fetched as you say. Plus how would that look from IASW or other areas?

EDIT: I guess an hour isn't realistic because you have people queued up for attractions. Maybe some sort of exit for Mickey riders outside of the fallout zone into SWL? Or an enclosed exit?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Between the seemingly expendable backstage space and expansion pad I hope that no attractions are lost for the Mickey ride. DL needs all the capacity it can get. Plus it would elevate Toontown to a pretty legit land. Especially if they can spruce the place up and maybe add one interesting sit down restaurant.

Side note: This is a recipe for disappointment. I'll have this great plan in my head for over a year and then they ll announce that this new ride is pretty much taking up all of Toontown.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If it's significantly less or more, then it's not really a clone. If it's more, then it's taking over all of Toontown because 1.85 acres is already 60% of Toontown. If it's less, it would have to be way, way less in order to only take out Roger Rabbit (which is only .73 acres) or only take out half of the eastern side of Towntown leaving either the M&Gs or the coaster. And if it's that much less... yikes, it would wind up with half the scenes or capacity of the DHS version.

Think of it this way. Let's say Martin's figure is off and the new layout is not utilizing 15% of the space. That means the ride is using 1.7 acres at DHS. And let's say you can get 20% efficiency. Then the ride is down to 1.36 acres. That's still twice the size of Roger Rabbit and 45% of all of Toontown.

Though they can't say as much, its pretty clear from how our insiders talk about this ride that they've seen the ride layout. That is how Martin is able to say that 5-10% of TGMR isn't being utilized for this ride. If he was wrong, the other insiders would likely have corrected him. Martin is already including all of the space, including vehicles storage, AFAIK, in his eyeballing of the plans.

I mean, we can always go back to our insiders to confirm the figures, but until there's better info, what we have is what we have.

If this goes two stories, how high do you think it'd be? Where's the fireworks launch site at DL?

I just think a lot of assumptions are being made right now with little information on where its coming to DLR and its size and scope. As @phruby perfectly stated, most things are custom built for an area. So the exact size and footprint used for TGMR version won't necessarily be the exact size and footprint for the DLR version.

Its fun to armchair and discuss though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In addition, would it be the worst thing in world if they had to close the land for an hour? Especially an hour where many guests are watching nighttime entertainment, including the fireworks? Fireworks aren't even nightly through most of the year. I don't see it as a big issue. Enclosing Toontown would be cool but far fetched as you say. Plus how would that look from IASW or other areas?

EDIT: I guess an hour isn't realistic because you have people queued up for attractions. Maybe some sort of exit for Mickey riders outside of the fallout zone into SWL? Or an enclosed exit?

Wouldn't it be longer than an hour? Aren't the FL attractions closed for a couple hours in some cases?

mharrington

I drew this mock up that only gets rid of the Rehearsal Hall. Roger Rabbit is pretty boxed in by the parade building (hard to move) and Small World. Even if you got rid of it, you still don't have much room to work with.

G3acoOJ.jpg

The problem with using that space is that route underneath what looks like the train tracks. It seems to be a service route to bring in things from backstage, but the ride building is taking over part of it, which means they would have to reroute it.

And if you use Mickey's house as the queue, where are you going to put the Mickey meet-n-greet, if Minnie's house is the Fastpass spot for this ride? The meet-n-greet might go over by the former spot of the treehouse, but that seems to be the exit route.

Anyway, my guess is that Roger Rabbit, being based on a not-entirely-Disney property anyway, is likely where it will go. As was said before, rides are custom-made. As such, do we really believe that this ride is going to be an EXACT replica, preshow and all? Remember, this ride is being housed in the Chinese Theater in Florida, so are they going to replicate the Chinese Theater here? I seriously doubt it.

mickEblu

Wouldn't it be longer than an hour? Aren't the FL attractions closed for a couple hours in some cases?

Most likely would be longer than an hour but would mostly be because Roger and the Mickey Ride. Some sort of enclosed exit or exit outside of the fallout zone from the Mickey ride would help.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

How popular was ATIS when they shut it down anyway? I think remember reading it was pretty much a walk on by the mid 80s

From my earliest recollection, which goes back to the early 70s, ATIS never had a wait, even on busy days. Of course DL was hosting about half the number of annual attendance back then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom