Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

c-one

The remnants of the Seabase Alpha vibe are still in the aquarium part, though. I hate the Nemo overlay but I wish they would've extended the retheme that much more. It's really bizarre.

Phroobar

The subs act as transportation into Disneyland's Seabase Alpha. The base would have the usual Epcot stuff about fish, marine life and aquarium windows. This would act as the queue for the roller coaster. I call the coaster North Pacific Current (NPC). The coaster would be a suspended coaster similar to Sea World's Manta or MM's Tatsu or maybe like MM's Batman but the track/vehicle would be under water in glass tubes. The train would occasionally break the surface of the water and do some barrel roles before diving back into another tube. The coaster would see live and AA fish and the submarines unloading passengers. It would be super expensive and take up the entire sub lagoon and Autopia. It would be glorious!

mickEblu

The subs act as transportation into Disneyland's Seabase Alpha. The base would have the usual Epcot stuff about fish, marine life and aquarium windows. This would act as the queue for the roller coaster. I call the coaster North Pacific Current (NPC). The coaster would be a suspended coaster similar to Sea World's Manta or MM's Tatsu or maybe like MM's Batman but the track/vehicle would be under water in glass tubes. The train would occasionally break the surface of the water and do some barrel roles before diving back into another tube. The coaster would see live and AA fish and the submarines unloading passengers. It would be super expensive and take up the entire sub lagoon and Autopia. It would be glorious!

Could you please stay on topic and put this in the "It will Never happen in a Million Years" thread? Haha jk. Cool idea though.

The_Mesh_Hatter

In the realm of possibilities, if the Autopia station is reconfigured, there's room to expand the Monorail/Submarine Station complex to include a small "Seabase Beta" post show.

Rich T

In the realm of possibilities, if the Autopia station is reconfigured, there's room to expand the Monorail/Submarine Station complex to include a small "Seabase Beta" post show.
But the bottom line is, Iger-era Disney will not build any attraction that is not tied to a popular IP. The days of rides and lands based on historic, original or scientific themes just for their own sake are gone. This is no longer Walt's Disneyland. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the failure of DCA 1.0, (which, though I hated, did contain some solid non-IP attractions) marked the end of an era.
(EDIT) ... for the U.S. parks, at least.

D

Deleted member 107043

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the failure of DCA 1.0, (which, though I hated, did contain some solid non-IP attractions) marked the end of an era.

Pretty much. The overwhelming success of the infusion of IP into the park is proof that the strategy was instrumental in turning the park around.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's hard to blame Disney for giving people what they want, but it's a shame they no longer try to give people what they didn't know they wanted.

As we've seen with EPCOT, and to a greater extent DCA, most people have a very narrow association with what "Disney" means. It seems most people younger than me only think movies and television characters.

mickEblu

Pretty much. The overwhelming success of the infusion of IP into the park is proof that the strategy was instrumental in turning the park around.

Except they re not really valid test results since the IP infusion/ attractions came simultaneously with the proper budget and execution. They never compared apples to apples. With that said I do think the park was lacking the characters, emotion and what people come to expect from Disney parks. I just don't think it was the main issue. DCA 2.0 isn't better because of Mickeys Fun Wheel (although I find the change to be an improvement aesthetically). It's better because of the likes of Cars Land and TOT.

Yes I'm still calling it TOT.

Last edited:

nevol

Thanks for the info @GiveMeTheMusic . I was thinking the FL theatre could be used for facade / queue purposes and then the showbuilding would be on the other side of the tracks taking up all of the residential portion of Toontown and maybe some backstage space. It would be great if Mickeys ride could be in Toontown and not Fantasyland.

Anyway, i think for toontown lovers, it should be easier to accept all or most of it going away for a Mickey ride instead of Frozen. In a perfect world Toontown could stick around, be plussed, AND there would be enough space back there for the new ride.

In a REALLY perfect world, RRCTS gets moved to the Hollywood backlot and they retheme the area to match the time period. We get the ink n Paint club and a rerouted trolley. Also in this really perfect world, TOT would still be there but would have received some of the enhancements that MB got. (Different ride profiles including randomized drop sequences)
Sorry I'm on page 1 and my replies are about to everybody off, but they could also do the reversal; having the show building where Fantasyland theater is, and having the entrance in Toontown across from Mickey's house, backed up against the tracks. Or ideally, a backstage area, the storage buildings/maintenance sheds with the faux hills on them. That way fantasyland has room for expansion still and toontown isn't wrecked entirely. But without a new attraction, I am not an advocate for saving toontown.

D

Deleted member 107043

Except they re not really valid test results since the IP infusion/ attractions came simultaneously with the proper budget and execution.

True, but I did allude to this when I mentioned EPCOT, a park twice the size of the MK, yet it has never been nearly as popular. If you look at the history of Disney Parks the most popular long-term formula for content, with a few important E ticket classics, has been studio based IP.

DLR92

As we've seen with EPCOT, and to a greater extent DCA, most people have a very narrow association with what "Disney" means. It seems most people younger than me only think movies and television characters.

Sad but true. I am seeing some people are very excited of the idea of Marvel. Not just from younger people, but older people seem to be very excited to see more of Disney property additions as younger people.

mickEblu

Sorry I'm on page 1 and my replies are about to **** everybody off, but they could also do the reversal; having the show building where Fantasyland theater is, and having the entrance in Toontown across from Mickey's house, backed up against the tracks. Or ideally, a backstage area, the storage buildings/maintenance sheds with the faux hills on them. That way fantasyland has room for expansion still and toontown isn't wrecked entirely. But without a new attraction, I am not an advocate for saving toontown.

That could work too. I think a Mickey ride in addition to RRCTS would round out the land nicely. I would imagine that they would fix up whatever is left of Toontown to bring it up to standards of the new ride. For a while I was supporting an FL expansion in Toontown but I don't think it's worth it if that just means... Arendelle. I don't want to see anymore single IP lands in DL. Now if they said a generic FL expansion that includes a BATB and a Frozen attraction I could get behind that. But this could be a situation where we have our cake and eat it too. Mickey ride in Toontown and Frozen / BATB in Autopia/ motorboat cruise.

D

Deleted member 107043

Sad but true. I am seeing some people are very excited of the idea of Marvel. Not just from younger people, but older people.

I'm excited, but I've also resigned myself to the fact that this is how things work now.

mickEblu

Sad but true. I am seeing some people are very excited of the idea of Marvel. Not just from younger people, but older people seem to be very excited to see more of Disney property additions as younger people.

I'm just excited for new high tech thrill rides. It would prefer just about anything to Marvel.

mickEblu

True, but I did allude to this when I mentioned EPCOT, a park twice the size of the MK, yet it has never been nearly as popular. If you look at the history of Disney Parks the most popular long-term formula for content, with a few important E ticket classics, has been studio based IP.

Yeah I see what you mean. I've never been to Epcot but from what I have seen and read did they maybe go too much into the EDU and not enough into the ENTERTAINMENT?

With DCA I was saying that execution trumps all. IP or not and that Disney is jumping to conclusions if they think IP alone is what saved DCA. With Epcot, I think the execution was there but maybe it's not sustainable not because it needs IP but because edutainment is not a thing in 2017. Nobody has time or attention span for a 45 minute educational ride.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yeah I see what you mean. I've never been to Epcot but from what I have seen and read did they maybe go too much into the EDU and not enough into the ENTERTAINMENT?

With DCA I was saying that execution trumps all. IP or not and that Disney is jumping to conclusions if they think IP alone is what saved DCA. With Epcot, I think the execution was there but maybe it's not sustainable not because it needs IP but because edutainment is not a thing in 2017. Nobody has time or attention span for a 45 minute educational ride.
No, the failure of Epcot was never its leanings towards edutainment.
The ball was dropped when they decided to never innovate their attractions until decades later. Nothing received an update to keep it fresh. Except in the case of Imagination where the updates made it HORRIBLY WORSE.
Horizons with 2017's technology would be amazing
Journey Into Imagination is the perfect fit for a new trackless attraction
UOE sat stagnant for FAR too long
etc. etc. etc.

Also too, you have to factor in the "dumbing down" of society. People no longer want to go to the parks to have to think. They want to see this or that character, hear this or that song, buy this or that merchandise, and be on their way, posting the whole thing to Instagram.

Sorry, this really isn't the thread for an Epcot rant.

FigmentForver96

EPCOT Center was super popular and the rides were extremely popular. Attendance peaked in 87, when all the original rides were there and 5 years after opening so it wasn't due to anything being NEW. The park took its first death kneel in the 90s when Eisner felt the park needed to be "hip". Hence rides were given celebrity appearances (Energy) and were replaced with thrills (Motion).

The honest truth is the average guest doesn't know what they truly want. The whole concept of Disneyland started with Walt wanting something nobody else had thought of doing or knew they truly wanted. A place where kids and adults can enjoy something together. You wow a guest and they will ride and pay to show up. Maybe not 45 minutes but if you were to build a truly cutting edge interesting attraction about energy then people would line up and ride. Same goes for the others. IP does not sustain and history has proven that time and time again. Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn..no IPs yet are considered the gods of Disney classics.

The sad part about EPCOT today is that it is the festivals that drive that attendance. Epcot was different from everything else , that is why it is was popular. A human achievement never seen before and clearly will never be seen again. It was just as Disney as the rest of the company because Disney was more then Mickey Mouse and princesses. It inspired and did what no thing had ever done before. Today the executives are to clueless and only think what will sell the most merch and what is hot NOW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom