Miceage Update: New Soarin film by 2015, DHS refurb on the way.

articos

After one ride, I dubbed it Mickey's Terror Wheel and vowed never to ride it again. Scariest ride at the resort by a mile.
Thank you. I thought I was going to die. I just knew our gondola was going to swing off into the water and we'd drown.
Mickey's Terror Wheel just made me spit out my coffee. :) And yes, I agree with both of you. I rode it once. Only once. Nice, peaceful ride my @#$.

TP2000

I also wonder whether a new Soarin' video for DCA would finish in DCA this time around (Mickey's Fun Wheel and World of Color)?

I think they'll create the new Soarin' film to feature both Anaheim parks; Disneyland and DCA. Now that it's had 1.2 Billion dollars, DCA is pretty spectacular to look at from the air. Even just this shot with the World of Color fountains in their relaxed "post-show" format as the amphitheater empties out after the show makes Paradise Pier look spectacular.

550436_392742020794950_875731286_n.jpg

Add in a swoop around the stunning mountains and valleys and neon of Cars Land, and DCA would make a great part of the new finale'.

It's also important to realize that the original Soarin' film was created before DCA was open, and which is why they had to focus on Disneyland only. The segment where Disneyland shows up as the camera zooms over Main Street and swoops over Fantasyland was filmed in early December, 1999 during a Disney employee Christmas party where the CM's were told to not wave at the copter buzzing the park (thus the Christmas parade floats perfectly staged on Main Street and light crowds with no one waving at the helicopter). That was about 13 months before the ride opened for DCA previews in January, 2001.

Al Lutz is now saying via Miceage Update that the new California-based finale' will be filmed on the evening of March 12th, 2014. Using that same timeframe, that would put the grand opening of the new HD Soarin' Over The World with park-specific finale' scene around April, 2015. That's just in time to kick off the Disneyland 60th Anniversary Celebration for 2015-16, and I'm sure they could come up with a suitable marketing angle for the WDW version too.

articos

If they do a new film, is anyone placing bets on it if will be 3D? I hope it's not...3D sortof stinks for people who wear glasses...

I don't mind it with limited applications, but rushing to put it in every attraction is annoying.
Although it could be made into a 3-D attraction by swapping the projectors and screen, it would have a few major downfalls that I believe would be enough to keep it in a 2-D dome format. They'd have to re-engineer the screen - the side seats are so close to the edge of the dome, it would likely look really bad from the sides. Second, I'm not sure on this, but I suspect the motion of the seats along with the film transitions and the wrap-around dome could have the potential to make people hurl, and since you're hanging out over the dome, that's not easy to clean up. I'll ask some of the projection guys who know this better than I do. Just an educated guess for now.

articos

I think they'll create the new Soarin' film to feature both Anaheim parks; Disneyland and DCA. Now that it's had 1.2 Billion dollars, DCA is pretty spectacular to look at from the air. Even just this shot with the World of Color fountains in their relaxed "post-show" format as the amphitheater empties out after the show makes Paradise Pier look spectacular.

550436_392742020794950_875731286_n.jpg

Add in a swoop around the stunning mountains and valleys and neon of Cars Land, and DCA would make a great part of the new finale'.

It's also important to realize that the original Soarin' film was created before DCA was open, and which is why they had to focus on Disneyland only. The segment where Disneyland shows up as the camera zooms over Main Street and swoops over Fantasyland was filmed in early December, 1999 during a Disney employee Christmas party where the CM's were told to not wave at the copter buzzing the park (thus the Christmas parade floats perfectly staged on Main Street and light crowds with no one waving at the helicopter). That was about 13 months before the ride opened for DCA previews in January, 2001.

Al Lutz is now saying via Miceage Update that the new California-based finale' will be filmed on the evening of March 12th, 2014. Using that same timeframe, that would put the grand opening of the new HD Soarin' Over The World with park-specific finale' scene around April, 2015. That's just in time to kick off the Disneyland 60th Anniversary Celebration for 2015-16, and I'm sure they could come up with a suitable marketing angle for the WDW version too.
With all due respect to Lutz, like I said, I doubt there's anything that specific a date for filming this far out. Might be a placeholder date, but otherwise, it's something that would be locked in much closer to filming.

mickey2008.1

Not being sarcastic, going off of the attendance records just released. Number One park in the world, WDW. Most visited. So why not make this park the first priority? I get it's Disneyland, the first park, but WDW is the king. Why does it seem it is always an after thought?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not being sarcastic, going off of the attendance records just released. Number One park in the world, WDW. Most visited. So why not make this park the first priority? I get it's Disneyland, the first park, but WDW is the king. Why does it seem it is always an after thought?

That's simple. The answer is politics.

articos

Something is brewing for DHS. I know of 3 proposals and variations thereof. Nothing is pinned down yet from what I can find out. But it will be more than a lick of paint.

Soarin.... how longs this been proposed? WDSP was getting it a decade ago.... The only thing that may stop Epcot getting a new DCA version would be differences in projection room standards. Can't see how that would matter though. Of course, they could always upgrade Orlandos to Anaheim's quality.
It's a relatively cheap upgrade to convert to digital, and saves money on prints and staffing, as you know, so good ROI. I'm 99.999% TDO will upgrade Soarin' if given an opportunity/reason. As a guest satisfaction bonus, the dirty film issue goes away completely with digital, meaning no need to worry about upgrading Orlando's non-sealed projection room at that point.

Much, much, much more than a lick of paint.

The Empress Lilly

That is an amazing picture! :eek:

Which reminds me - we always decry everything that was lost at WDW. But that doesn't adress perhaps a more pityful regret: all of the development of WDW that didn't occur.

Just look at those lights, the colours, the quality of it all. Why doesn't EPCOT look like that at night? All we've got are floodlights, worse now than thirty years ago, instead of a marvel of the world.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Why spend money on something that is already making money? Not saying I agree with this, but it's likely the thinking of management.

RunnerEd

I'll never understand the DHS hate. It has 4 of my favorite rides (Star Tours, Rock N Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror & Toy Story Mania).

I would love it if they added more to the park though.

No hate for DHS; exactly the opposite. They've let the park languish so long without adding to the small level of attractions. I believe that most people on this board would love to see the park double (or more) its attraction line up with the same level of quality of the attractions that you mentioned. The problem with DHS is that, beyond the rides that you mentioned, there are only 2 others; Backlot Tour (pathetic) and The Great Movie Ride (badly needing an update).

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
While they're filming for this new Soarin' film overseas...how about they make a "Soarin' over Canada" and a "Soarin' over China" for World Showcase?

I've had the same thought for years. How about Soarin' over Italy, since that pavilion needs a little something and Italy's got mountains, oceans, etc. Plus, I'm sure that everyone will be craning necks around looking to see if any topless sunbathers were caught on camera.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
No hate for DHS; exactly the opposite. They've let the park languish so long without adding to the small level of attractions. I believe that most people on this board would love to see the park double (or more) its attraction line up with the same level of quality of the attractions that you mentioned. The problem with DHS is that, beyond the rides that you mentioned, there are only 2 others; Backlot Tour (pathetic) and The Great Movie Ride (badly needing an update).

Amazing isn't it? They can't even keep a lamp dancing. Plus, I thought the rumored Honeydew/Beaker show or the Electric Mayhem (or god forbid, both) LCI shows would have been great! And how you can have a Pixar Place with so many popular franchises and only one ride after all these years, is beyond the pale.

Bocabear

After not spending much time in the last 4 years at that park, I went to the park on Friday ... It was crowded as expected, and after a couple rides, no one in our group had any desire to hang around and do more. This park needs a serious DCA style makeover. This park is stale! I sure hope that it gets the love and expansion dollars it deserves!

GrumpyFan

Why do so many seem to want to make Soarin' 3D? I like 3D, but in the end it is just a gimmick, especially at the movie theater, but don't get me started on that. It doesn't really add anything to the story and for this attraction it's just not needed. For me, stunning and clear (bug-free) visuals mixed with a moving soundtrack, are just as impressive as most 3D I've seen, with the exception of Avatar, but that was CG, not real world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom